• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello,

I will be introducing poles to my 6 & 8 year old this coming season, actually my 8 year old used poles the last day of last season.

I had a couple of questions:
Should they use the pole straps?
How about getting on and off the lift, what is the pole handling sequence they should follow?

I want to be sure we get off to a good start with the poles, especially with respect to the lift.

Thanks!

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Hey: I would suggest using the straps, I can't see the argument against straps, and you should hold the poles when getting on/during/off the lift. Holding the poles while they learn makes the process easier, less complicated, and safer. Why risk having the kids drop the poles when they have all season to learn???? BTW, my 6 year old, this is her 3rd season @ 15-20 days a year, is learning to use poles this season. I integrated poles for my 11 year old a 4 years ago and assuming control on the lifts while she was learning was successful. Poles never broke, fell and getting on and off was safe.

Good luck!!!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If they’re using poles, have them use the straps. You’ll be in for a lot of hiking back uphill to retrieve poles if they don’t.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All of the above advice is great. As a former coach to kids who were using poles for the first time I'll add a couple of additional rules that I had. 1) They are not weapons! Do not use them to sword fight. Especially in lift lines. 2) Don't point with them, point them upwards etc. You can let go of the grip and let them hang by the strap if you want to point/raise your hand/wave at someone etc. Adults are bad enough about being aware of those around them when doing these things, kids just have no concept of the danger to people around them when they use the poles as extensions of their arms/hands.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
---That's the best of part of using poles!!!!!! I love watching "OTHER" people's kids run around sword fighting with poles. Regardless of the obvious, it truly is watching kids being kids.

I don't really mind watching from afar in areas where others aren't likely to be the victim but I've nearly been the victim of several incidents in lift lines. I'll never forget hearing on the team coaching radio about one of my former athletes bleeding. As the discussion went on I found out it was due to sword fighting in the lift line. I happened to see the 3 offenders later that day and asked them about it. I got a few sheepish looks on that one.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
When in the lift line, hold poles straight up and down with the tips pointing towards the ground.

I hate seeing poles held horizontally, the tips end up at little kids’ eye level. I’ve mentioned this to many adults. Not sure how much of it sinks in. :(

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Reminds me: When you give a child a pole end to help them along, make sure it's the DULL end.

When I see a father pulling a kid with the pointy end towards the kid I normally say, "You might want to give your kid the handle end. Mom might not like if you bring the kid back with an extra hole." This results in a a quick "huh" look, a laugh, and then, "Thanks, I’ll remember that." as they reverse the pole.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since the kids are starting off with a clean slate, an hour or two of pole focused lessons would get them on the right track from the get go. Otherwise they'll pick up all sorts of crazy bad habit pole movements. After using poles for a few years my kid improved significantly after an instructor showed him how to use the poles correctly.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
I have a question that may be related to ski poles.

So far my 6 & 8 year olds have been skiing with mittens not gloves?

As I will be introducing poles to them this coming season wanted to know if the choice of mittens or gloves has any influence for pole handling.

Will they be fine using poles with mittens or should I switch them to gloves?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a question that may be related to ski poles.

So far my 6 & 8 year olds have been skiing with mittens not gloves?

As I will be introducing poles to them this coming season wanted to know if the choice of mittens or gloves has any influence for pole handling.

Will they be fine using poles with mittens or should I switch them to gloves?

Cold hands will affect pole use far more than mittens vs. gloves. I'd use whatever makes them most comfortable.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
If the mittens are SKI mittens, they should be fine. Big, warm, bulky mittens too thick in the palm to permit grasping the poles might be troublesome.

Sponsor

Staff online