• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kids are AWESOME- touring edition

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
So my 5 year old has been dying to go skinning & we really wanted her exposed to the Vermont AT ski community.

She's too young to get her own gear..... so we made a contraption:

IMG_1743.JPG

I needed a way to get her UP!

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
That is FREAKING AWESOME! Love it!

It's a bunch of ski straps & 2 boosters + a carabiner for the harness, a dog safety leash w bungee that has a waist belt for myself & a pvc handle we made. Towed her to top of Pico twice tonight w ease.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Parent of the year!

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice towing setup and props for getting out there :golfclap: I have a daughter at about the same age as yours. Her first backcountry experience where she skied down on her own was 2 years ago when she was 3.5 years old. Getting them up the hill is a challenge, going down is easier, at least if the snow is good. That time she walked the flat part on XC skis and I carried her on my back with a child carrier on the steeper part. Her alpine setup in the XC-sled together with her little brother towed by their mother.

Topptur1.jpg

She handled the down part very well. Much faster than her grandmother, so she is slower than a 3 year old :eek:

Topptur2.jpg

More pictures posted previously here. When she was younger we did a couple of tours where she sat in the child carrier on my back both on the way up and down. Wouldn't necessarily recommend that to anyone cause you really need not to fall or even make any abrupt recoveries. One has to ski like a golf cart, slow, static and in 100% control. But It was fun for her. She sat on my back and yelled out commands like TURN, SKATE, PLOW or POLE,POLE, POLE... It felt like I could win vasaloppet if I just had a pacesetter like that on my back. In the forest on the way down she would challenge me with "go between those trees over there" and pick out a challenging path for us.

A solution to the up part that is common here in Norway when the kids get a bit older, is to let the kids use their XC-setup with climbing skins and then the parents carry their alpine setup in their backpack. For younger kids it probably works best on shallow even skin track in soft conditions. Could be combined with the towing as they get tired, but if there is going to be a lot of towing involved then it is more comfortable to be towed in an alpine setup vs xc gear.

Hope to try again if we are ever able to get up to the mountains this year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is the most amazing stoke worthy thread here!!

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
This is the pull sled we made for backcountry touring (in the photo we are just snowshoeing around our neighborhood after a storm). We haven't gotten too many chances to actually take it out in the backcountry though, because now we have an infant. Maybe this spring when we get the toddler a little better on skis we can take them both out for a tour. The sled was just a cheap Home Depot sled and its starting to warp though. Once toddler gets a little bigger its a good idea to just attach them to you on their skis so I'll have to make a note of that for the future!

Attachments

• IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 38

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
This came in handy today when all the lifts seemed to break at the same time. Also good for after hours, x country ski trips longer than 35 ft ... Sled is light and zips into pack for the way down.

Comfy

IMG_0049.JPG

Comfy ish

IMG_0053.JPG

Good times

IMG_0064.JPG

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Update from post #12. We had a good start, but unfortunately no kid backcountry skiing in the next three winters.

Last week we got back on track. We equipped the 6 year old and the 7.5 year old with skins under their XC-skis and took their alpine setups in and on our backpacks.

Adult xc-skins shortened with duct tape for the oldest.
_MG_1782_800.jpg

And leftover scarps from a pair of BD ascension for the youngest. A bit short but it did work and the soft snow didn't cut off the duct tape during the short tour.

_MG_1788_800.jpg

A long uphill (450m) to the summit after having cheated the first 350m with a T-bar.

DSC_0438_wb_800.jpg

The youngest was at times running uphill Klæbo-style so we were worried he would burn out. But he didn't. When xc-skiing with kick wax they often loose patience in even very short uphills, so this was strange and unusual. Cllimbing skins for the win!

Ready for downhill. Youngest on the cairn.
DSC_0442_800.jpg

Downhill was interesting with the 6 year old. The upper 50 m are around 30 degrees steep. He wanted to slide on his ass. I wasn't too keen on that. I kept him between my legs. He wanted to do it all by himself. So he was having a tantrum. After a while my mood wasn't too good either. Usually I would go to great lengths to avoid going down the same place as people are going up. But this time unavoidable. At one point his skis got tangled up during a turn and I didn't even notice. Not my brightest moment of parenthood. I guess in hindsight we should have walked down both of us. Holding hands or something....

The 7.5 year old managed fine on her own even on the steep section, skiing in the tracks of her mother. And the next 700m of decent was smooth sailing for both of them.

A couple of days later we did another tour just with the oldest, leaving the youngest with his grandparents. He had skied 4 of the last 7 days and needed a break. And for us adults it was very nice with some hours without the constant bickering that goes on between the two of them.
_MG_1825_800.jpg

No T-bar this time and we had to carry the skis up to the snowline.

Going for the summit in a lot of wind.
_MG_1832_800.jpg

We didn't get the summit. But 800m of selfproppelled uphill isn't bad for a kid and we did get to the crest so we could see over to the other side.
Unfortunately the snow conditions sucked bad on the downhill. Fine grained snow that got wet for the first time. Most of it felt like skiing on sandpaper. But my daughter was just stoked on being backcountry skiing.
_MG_1849_800.jpg

The last meters of snow through perfect sheep thinned birch forest. At times it was hard for me to remember I had a pair of XC-skis on my backpack, but no bad hangups :)
_MG_1853_800.jpg

Proud and happy.
_MG_1862_800.jpg

I think next season will be even better. Lots of AWESOMENESS ahead. :)

Last edited:

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Recent photos from a yurt trip we took for my burfday. We got to the parking area and the 5yo decided he wanted to ski up to the yurt, so my husband rigged up a system with some 4-foot webbing loops that he made into a chest harness of sorts with some knots and a knot for him to hold on to. Luckily it was only a 0.25 mile approach, so he managed to make it the whole way (and skied down by himself on the way out, proud mom).
IMG_6517.jpeg

Our other uphill contraption, three years and going strong (my kids like to take the 'trip sled' out when its snowy around our local lake and we've gotten a good few days on it this winter). My 2.5yo took her afternoon nap on this when I took her for a ride during the yurt trip.
IMG_6548.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Update from post #12. We had a good start, but unfortunately no kid backcountry skiing in the next three winters.

Last week we got back on track. We equipped the 6 year old and the 7.5 year old with skins under their XC-skis and took their alpine setups in and on our backpacks.

Adult xc-skins shortened with duct tape for the oldest.
View attachment 72072

And leftover scarps from a pair of BD ascension for the youngest. A bit short but it did work and the soft snow didn't cut off the duct tape during the short tour.

View attachment 72073

A long uphill (450m) to the summit after having cheated the first 350m with a T-bar.

View attachment 72074

The youngest was at times running uphill Klæbo-style so we were worried he would burn out. But he didn't. When xc-skiing with kick wax they often loose patience in even very short uphills, so this was strange and unusual. Cllimbing skins for the win!

Ready for downhill. Youngest on the cairn.
View attachment 72075
Downhill was interesting with the 6 year old. The upper 50 m are around 30 degrees steep. He wanted to slide on his ass. I wasn't too keen on that. I kept him between my legs. He wanted to do it all by himself. So he was having a tantrum. After a while my mood wasn't too good either. Usually I would go to great lengths to avoid going down the same place as people are going up. But this time unavoidable. At one point his skis got tangled up during a turn and I didn't even notice. Not my brightest moment of parenthood. I guess in hindsight we should have walked down both of us. Holding hands or something....

The 7.5 year old managed fine on her own even on the steep section, skiing in the tracks of her mother. And the next 700m of decent was smooth sailing for both of them.

A couple of days later we did another tour just with the oldest, leaving the youngest with his grandparents. He had skied 4 of the last 7 days and needed a break. And for us adults it was very nice with some hours without the constant bickering that goes on between the two of them.
View attachment 72076
No T-bar this time and we had to carry the skis up to the snowline.

Going for the summit in a lot of wind.
View attachment 72077
We didn't get the summit. But 800m of selfproppelled uphill isn't bad for a kid and we did get to the crest so we could see over to the other side.
Unfortunately the snow conditions sucked bad on the downhill. Fine grained snow that got wet for the first time. Most of it felt like skiing on sandpaper. But my daughter was just stoked on being backcountry skiing.
View attachment 72078
The last meters of snow through perfect sheep thinned birch forest. At times it was hard for me to remember I had a pair of XC-skis on my backpack, but no bad hangups :)
View attachment 72079

Proud and happy.
View attachment 72080

I think next season will be even better. Lots of AWESOMENESS ahead. :)
Pretty amazing scene.
IMG_6357.JPG

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Back to the same mountain as in the second day in post 17 , but now with both kids and 3 years later.
_20230406_204711.JPG

Dragging an additional set of skis and boots is heavy.
_20230406_204817.JPG

But when your kids fly uphill on lightweight xc gear with climbing skins that's well worth the sacrifice. But our 10 year old suddenly started thinking that this must be a proper grown up mountain, and not something especially suited for kids. So after 800 vertical meters of climbing we had to turn around with only 300 m left to the summit.
_20230406_204747.JPG

Switching to Alpine gear for the downhill. The new Mantra jr where too long and wide, and didn't want to turn. So there was lots of complaining about us not bringing his short 65mm waist multievent piste skis.

_20230406_204849.JPG

But he did fine in difficult snow. Will let him choose next time, the short skis are easier to carry and less complaining will be a win-win. Perhaps....