• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

kids adjustable ski poles?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

My kids have been skiing for 3-4 seasons and so far have not used poles. I think it is now the time to introduce them to poles.

One child just turned 9 and is 54" or 4'6" and the other child will be turning 7 soon and is 4'4".

Since they are a pole size apart I was thinking I could order two pairs of fixed length poles and then the younger child will grow into the older child's poles.

I then learned about adjustable poles.

Is this a better way for me to go? Any pros and cons? Recommendations?

Also I want to be sure the pole grip is a good bit smaller. My kids wear mittens and it doesn't look like they have much palm surface area to hold onto much?

James

Out There
Instructor
Too long poles is rampant among young kids. Adults too actually. For gods sake, most young kids never use them to turn so at least make them short. Generally, parents have a "whatever" attitude to this.

I'd go adjustable, but here's the problem I've found with kids. They don't want to adjust them. They refuse, they scream. Usually, a parent has adjusted them and the kid thinks that is the right length and touching them does something, don't ask me. Some kids are very protective of things like that. They will not let you change them.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this a better way for me to go? Any pros and cons? Recommendations?

Also I want to be sure the pole grip is a good bit smaller. My kids wear mittens and it doesn't look like they have much palm surface area to hold onto much?

There are a couple kinds of adjustable ski poles for kids.
The kind that you twist has been known to fail in its retention.
The kind with a clamp works better.
This is the kind I would get

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We bought a pair of LEKI Vario XS Speedlock poles and they work perfectly.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Too long poles is rampant among young kids. Adults too actually. For gods sake, most young kids never use them to turn so at least make them short. Generally, parents have a "whatever" attitude to this.

I'd go adjustable, but here's the problem I've found with kids. They don't want to adjust them. They refuse, they scream. Usually, a parent has adjusted them and the kid thinks that is the right length and touching them does something, don't ask me. Some kids are very protective of things like that. They will not let you change them.
Thanks, not too worried about them resisting them being adjusted. I will adjust them when they are not around, not sure they will be able to tell or know the difference?

They skied this past weekend with a very experienced skier who skied in College and the US Team and has been running ski teams for 20+ years. When the person asked me where their poles were I said, I was told by many people to keep poles away from them as long as possible. But it seems like now is the time.

James

Out There
Instructor
I will adjust them when they are not around, not sure they will be able to tell or know the difference?
Lol, we'll see. Of course they'll know you've adjusted them, who else will adjust them? It's not absolute length, it's they've been adjusted, therefore they can't be changed. It may be more the idea a stranger changes them, that's what they resist.

Kids are super resistant to the idea that whatever poles they have are not "right". I can't count how many times I've gotten this reaction. I just joke about it now to the kids I know. They have fixed length, there's no way they're changing them. They like the color, etc, and Dad's poles are too long too.

The other big area is the top of the pole grip. Most kids poles are historically way too large there. It supposed to prevent it going into the eye socket. (Never mind the pointy end...) Race type poles usually have a nice small top. It allows the kids palm to go on top for when walking uphill, skating. (Racing it's for tucking.) To me that's important, but it's another "whatever" bin to most parents.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I typically adjust them out of sight if they are going to have a reaction...

Elbows when in ski boots should be much more open than 90 degrees, while in a flexxed positon.

Sponsor