• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kickstarter Foldable Kayak

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Here’s an interesting Kickstarter for you kayakers that may want an easy to carry kayak.

This is a plastic origami kayak that rolls up.

1585071194851.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
ORU have been on market since 2012 - and are now supported by REI

I guess the foldup thing is unique here? ORU is specifically designed in Coroplast so bendy but not roll-up.

Makes a similarly sized package though.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's flimsy stuff.
If you want to carry your boat IN your car rather than ON it, then Sea Eagle Razorlite is not a bad option.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I bumped this thread to ask has anyone used an inflatable kayak? I am guessing it is like an inflatable SUP.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
ORU have been on market since 2012 - and are now supported by REI

I guess the foldup thing is unique here? ORU is specifically designed in Coroplast so bendy but not roll-up.

Makes a similarly sized package though.
My friends have a double Oru, which they really like. Plenty of room for them and their dog.
I saw the smallest Oru, the "Lake" model, in person for the first time recenty It is really small, and awkwardly wide compared to its length. On the other hand, its owner arrived carrying it on his bicycle!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My friends have a double Oru, which they really like. Plenty of room for them and their dog.
I saw the smallest Oru, the "Lake" model, in person for the first time recenty It is really small, and awkwardly wide compared to its length. On the other hand, its owner arrived carrying it on his bicycle!

I paddled a Tucktec on Saturday. Meh - and the owner agreed - the only reason she keeps it is to pack it into her HRV.

Very much a lake/pond boat. Much, much slower than even our inflatable tandem. On the upside, it got through some super shallow spots just fine. Good osprey watching boat.

Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I paddled a Tucktec on Saturday. Meh - and the owner agreed - the only reason she keeps it is to pack it into her HRV.
I totally understand that, I have a couple kayaks and my slow and cheap inflatable gets the most use simply because of the ease of transportation! No way id take it in the ocean, but for tossing in the truckcamper and being able to paddle some little pond when ever i want is great!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was inspired to check out the Oru website. They have 7 solo models plus the tandem. The higher performance ones have a better length-to-width ratio, but they are larger when stowed, heavier, costlier, and take longer to assemble.

So it's a tradeoff.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of my kayak buddy has one looking like the one posted by the OP. It works pretty well for its intending purpose, which is small placid lakes and slow flowing streams.

I have an Oru. I take it in the ocean. It's slower than my regular kayak. But otherwise quite seaworthy. That said, I have other kayaking buddy who also had Oru and I'm aware of their potential issues. It's really a fair weather boat. Or at least paddle with others just in case the worst case scenario happens.

Last edited:

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was inspired to check out the Oru website. They have 7 solo models plus the tandem. The higher performance ones have a better length-to-width ratio, but they are larger when stowed, heavier, costlier, and take longer to assemble.

So it's a tradeoff.

The biggest negative with Oru is the cost. For the longest model, it cost more than some of the decent hard shell seaworthy kayaks. Assembly is pretty fast after a few use.

Weight of folding kayak is pretty irrelevant because it's in a compact package. Much easier to handle the same weight when it's not 16' long and swing like a teeter-totter.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bumped this thread to ask has anyone used an inflatable kayak? I am guessing it is like an inflatable SUP.
I have used a few inflatable kayaks. The first I used was a Seylor tandem that my sister bought for my daughter. We had lots of fun and screamy times with it and our dog on Lake Tahoe. It’s wide and does not track well. Also the wind on Lake Tahoe made it difficult to get anywhere, but it was fun anyway.

I also took a friend’s inflatable down a section of the Truckee river last summer. That kayak was of much better quality (can’t remember the brand-maybe Aire?) but I had trouble maneuvering it. The river was very low and I got stuck on rocks a few times. But the kayak was fine! It seemed like it would be a decent kayak for someone with more skills.

I just got an Aquaglide inflatable. It seems to be pretty decent. I plan on taking it on lakes and slower rivers. I would say the inflatable kayaks are not as firm as inflatable SUPs.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have used a few inflatable kayaks. The first I used was a Seylor tandem that my sister bought for my daughter. We had lots of fun and screamy times with it and our dog on Lake Tahoe. It’s wide and does not track well. Also the wind on Lake Tahoe made it difficult to get anywhere, but it was fun anyway.

I also took a friend’s inflatable down a section of the Truckee river last summer. That kayak was of much better quality (can’t remember the brand-maybe Aire?) but I had trouble maneuvering it. The river was very low and I got stuck on rocks a few times. But the kayak was fine! It seemed like it would be a decent kayak for someone with more skills.

I just got an Aquaglide inflatable. It seems to be pretty decent. I plan on taking it on lakes and slower rivers. I would say the inflatable kayaks are not as firm as inflatable SUPs.
Thanks, great feedback.
I happen to see a new Savylor inflatable 8' 7" by 3 wide single seat for around $100.00 I don't really need it but I thought it might be fun in the back water of Barnegat Bay by my summer home.

Last edited:

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Inflatable for rivers are actually pretty well developed. Duckies, they're called. Think of them as a 1-person raft.

They don't carve like hard shell white water boat. But they're more forgiving than hard shell ww boats, as they don't have chimes to be grabbed by eddies.

Because they sit higher on the water, they tend to get blown around by winds on flat water such as lakes and ponds.

crosscountry

Out on the slopes
Skier
For big body of water in calm, warm water, folding hard shells like what the OP posted will be faster, less affected by wind. You may actually get to go places!

It won't win any races against long sea kayaks. But you can easily carry it on your back and bike down to the water. More likely you'll use it than a big heavy sea kayak that you don't feel like taking down to the water.

Sponsor