• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Kicking Horse, you've been warned

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
A last minute trip to the Canadian Rockies to use my MAX pass. Having to choose between Fernie and Kicking Horse is a happy conundrum any skier can have. :)

I've been warned by multiple pugsters Kicking Horse is steep. And I've also been told by many the view from the top is spectacular.

I can believe the view part, as I've been to Lake Louise and Sunshine. Kicking Horse isn't too far from it, so I expect somewhat similarly jaw dropping vista. But I was passe about it. I've seen some good scenery in my ski travel. I expect to be impressed, but not surprised. In fact, I half suspected I might find it under-whelming, due to possibly too much hype.

Skiing-wise, steep isn't my strong point. I can comfortably ski a lot of terrain, but I don't have much practice in skiing steep. And it's something I half anticipated to work on but also half worried about enjoying a mountain that's known for steeps.

Day 1 -- 1/5, Friday

The forecast was for it to be cloudy the entire time I'll be there. I was kind of worried. From the trail map, looks like the whole top half of KH is wide open alpine bowls. It'll be challenging to ski that kind of terrain in any sort of flat light.

I dashed up the mountain today because that's the only day the forecast calls for a sunny & semi-clear afternoon. I wanted to get a good look at the terrain before the cloud envelopes it.

As I'll be there for 5 days, I took the free mountain tour first thing. Although I know they don't go into any challenging terrain, but I also known they're supposed to SHOW you the more interesting lines duding the tour. I showed up 15 min before the tour time, saw 3 hosts and no other guests. One of the host took me up as a private tour. :) On the ride up the gondola, she started showing me the lines and how to get to them...

We got out of the gondola with sunny ski but some thin clouds came in just enough we couldn't quite see the surrounding area, though the inbound ridges were still visible. "Too bad the cloud came in, the view is really spectacular", my host said. "Yea, yea, yea, I'm sure it's fantastic, but I came to ski" I thought to myself, little did I know what I was missing. So she pointed out more of the routes, AND THE LANDMARK to find the entrance of the few easier lines. That, proved to be invaluable the next 3 days, for I would not have much visibility beyond the next tree!

She also warned I should be careful on many of the lines as some of the entrance may be tricky. She suggested I try to hook up with any local in the gondola to show me how to get to a specific line. The second part turned out to be more tricky than expected. Not because the locals are not helpful. But because what the locals consider "easy" or "no problem" is of their own standard! :(

Another suggestion she offer was to sign up for a high level lesson, with a good chance I may get a private. That echos the suggestion from one of the poster here when I first asked about Kicking Horse. So I gave that more than just a passing thought. This would work to my hope of working to improve my steep skiing ability.

So an hour with the locals, for free, with a lot of useful information.

After the free mountain tour, I went up the Stairway to Heaven chair to the top of Redemption Ridge. Visibility wasn't exactly great, but there were plenty of trees. So I went down the cat track to Tower 10 to take a look at the famous "easy" line into the far side -- Fuez Bowl, without going down it. I didn't want to go all the way down to the bottom just yet. I wanted to lap that chair a bit first. Snow was good but a bit firm on the open. The more sheltered lines IN the trees were in better condition. That's probably the best "high intermediate/advance" terrain pod. One can duck in and out of the tree with a 10 yard traverse.

Then I was ready to go over to Fuez Bowl. Tower 10 looked reasonably "easy" from the chair and from the first look at the entrance. So I went down the cat track again to tower 10 and turn left. The first 3 turns were not too steep, just some good size mogul, albeit soft. Then, it started to drop a bit more seriously. I made the mistake of stopping to decide which way to go, and realize it's just STEEP and a LONG way down in the same pitch! I paused for a moment to collect myself. It's too late to change my mind about going down. I'm committed! The moguls became more rounded and wider apart, and soft. So it's actually a delight to ski. Except a thin cloud drift in and out. So one moment I can see my lines forward and the next moment I can't even make out where the next bumps are! It's pretty unnerving skiing a bump field without being able to see the bumps. Then, as I get close to the bottom, visibility got even worse. I stopped again trying to make out where I need to go in that vast white open space. There's nobody else around to give me any hint on where the lines are. I gave up trying to navigate and just blindly trust I'll get out of the valley if I just keep pointing my ski forward. I can't say I skied it well on that first run down Tower 10. It was tentative part of the way.

Back up the gondola. It's now well past 3 (the gondola closes at 3:30) The cloud lifted enough that I can see how to get to Terminator. So that's what I decided to head to. Except when I exited the gondola and made a left towards it, I could barely see the edge of the cat track. I gingerly followed it till my nerve gave out. And found the next "reasonable" entrance into the main bowl. The main bowl isn't quite so steep as the Fuez Bowl. So I made some good turns down. But at some point, I got a bit disoriented and lost my focus. Hit a bump the wrong way and one the binding released. The ski were right next to me so I got it back on. But now I found myself standing in the middle of this huge featureless bowl with no reference whatsoever, not even which way is up and which way is down unless I put my hand out to touch the snow. I looked back up the hill, the gondi was still running but no one's coming this way... :( I knew it's late, there may not be anyone skiing down. I was on my own again to make my way "down" without even knowing which direction "down" is! Slowly I made my way down, and surprise, a group of boarders flew by at some distance! They provided just enough reference of the landscape that I can orient myself which way is "down" again! I sped up as much as I dare to keep in sight of the boarders and finally found myself below the tree line. Relieve...

That concludes my first day at Kicking Horse. I'm taking the warning of STEEP more to heart now that I've sampled a few of its "easier" single black lines. It's definition of single black would be double black in 90% of the mountains in the lower 48...

I'm also giving more thought to the suggestion of signing up for a group lesson in some of my days. at $89 Canadian for 2 hrs, an instructor as guide would be quite valuable in this kind of condition. Plus, a supervised practice of skiing some steep stuff would do me good too.

Last edited:
TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I skipped Saturday, which I figure it might be a bit crowded and there's no new snow. I went xc ski instead. But I mis-timed the weather. Although not in the forecast, the sun came out in midday, the sky cleared. While I enjoyed the scenery xc skiing, I'd gotten more use of the sun up in the mountain. Wish I went up and get to see the famous view, and ski some of more wide open part of the mountain. I didn't know what I was missing till later.

Day 2 -- 1/7, Sunday

No new snow just yet. But the sky was a little brighter than I feared. So I went up on the gondi. No good vis, so off to Stairway to Heaven and the trees. The south side of the ridge was lumpy except in the dense woods. The cat track also got scraped to be pretty slick. I needed a different tactic.

Dropping down to the bottom and right, I peek my head into the Ski School's desk for an afternoon group lesson. No one signed up at level 5 or 6 (the Canadian level is only 6 deep. So 6 would be "ski anywhere" which I didn't feel qualified to call myself, not "anywhere" in KH anyway!). So it really doesn't matter the exact level. I got a private by paying a CAN$30 surcharge.

On the way to the gondi, my instructor Steve asked where I've been skiing here and "back home". My reply "the black here is REALLY black!" He must have heard that before, and gave a hearty laugh.

This is a Kicking Horse "blue":
9A528F0F-DD99-4519-9D43-574DC8B2AB2D.jpeg

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Our ski club went to Lake Louise/Sunshine Village last year. A few of them took a day trip to Kicking horse. I took one look at the trail map and as an Intermediate skier went nope, not for me. We;re going to take a private lesson when we're skiing in the rockies next week. Not sure if we'll take the lesson at Lake Louise or Sunshine Village but a private will be had :)

Hope you have a great rest of your trip.

TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Up the Gondi, through the Crystal Bowl to Stairway to Heaven, he was satisfied that we could go up that chair. I wanted to ask him whether it's advisable to drop in on the right side of the cat track into Crystal Bowl, but decided to wait till later. Mind you, it's bad enough to ski in that wide open whiteness by the roundabout route that's an easy blue.

The top of Stairway to Heave was just a total pea soup!

The previous day, with not quite nearly zero visibility, I drop down the groomer. Didn't like the slick surface, took the bump field next to it instead. Today, Steven wanted me to ski that slick groomer in zero visibility! :( Well, he was there to provide the visual reference. I was following him down with good control. He stopped to look at my skiing, I was in nice form, right up until I past him... I thought I stopped, but then I realize he's still sliding past me, backwards. :eek:

Anyway, he reminded me I can drag my pole to gauge the steepness of the slope, and to get some feedback whether I'm moving or stopped. A lot of the rest of the lesson were just a bunch of refresher on things I already knew but most applicable in this kind of terrain and condition. Most importantly, it took a lot of my apprehension away. We ended the lesson with the possibility of my coming back for another, the take it to the more demanding terrains.

The forecast, in the mean time, had changed from a good amount of snow overnight to only a little bit of snow overnight. The little clipper storm is taking its time in coming to us :( OK, more time to work on my skiing when the snow comes the next day then.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Kicking Horse kicks ass when it's good but I wouldn't be that happy in low vis.

TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Day 3 -- 1/8, Monday, NEW SNOW!

Not a dump, just a few centimeter of it (that's a couple inches max). Visibility will be non-existent again! :( I made my mind up to take a full day lesson. It's only another CAN$40 extra than the 2 hr half day lessons. Now that Steve gave me the pass on being a level-6, I'm ready to go "anywhere" with an instructor. And Steve would be working that day too. He's one of 2 level 5/6 instructors.

But I didn't get going as quickly as I'd planned. Then... there's one train track running across the only access road, and there's one VERY LONG freight train taking its sweet time going across, VERY SLOWLY. It took 23 minutes!!!

By the time I was up on the hill, it was like, 3 minutes to 10, the lesson start time. And I wasn't even suited up yet. Besides, there's been some new snow, I could just go enjoy myself and practice some of the stuff Steve showed me to see how it goes. So I relaxed and went up the hill on my own.

On the gondi ride, I kept on looking for lines I wanted to ski. And I thought the patch of tree a little below the top station looks just about right. But first, I wanted to lap Redemption Ridge before being forced to go all the way to the bottom. Crystal Bowl was my first choice because it's the easiest. The 2" of new snow wasn't enough to cover up all the chopped up snow on the open bowl, nor did it do much to soften up the steeper part of the ridge. There's no enough visibility to tempt me to Fuez Bowl. I did find the trees on the Crystal side of the Redemption ridge delightful. And there're so many different points to drop in, different lines each time.

I was dying to try some different part of the mountain or something a little less obvious (and more tracked out). With no improvement of visibility, time to hire a guide again.

Turns out an Aussie couple had booked BOTH level 5/6 instructors for "group" lessons for the whole day, one at level 5 and the other a level 6. But as it's a "group" lesson, they could put me on either. They were having their lunch break. A quick phone call to Steve, he suggest I go with the instructor doing the "level 6" lesson (as his "level 5" student were really more a level 4). So I hooked up with Sandra, who's taking the women all over the mountain.

Up the gondi, down Crystal Bowl, up Stairway to Heaven, we traverse a looong way down the ridge and dropped in on a patch of trees I hadn't done. Good warm up. Then back up the Stairway to Heaven chair and we dropped in on the Fuez Bowl side on a entrance below Tower 10. It had GREAT snow! Having the instructor standing there as a visual reference in the featureless part of the bowl really made a big difference. I could let it go a little more freely. I still don't think I skied it exactly "well", but definitely better than when I did Tower 10 on my own. And this was a more constricted path (not exactly a chute but there's no traversing, only about couple turns wide). I was happy I made it with some semblance of fluidity.

Sandra asked me if that's "easy? too much? just right?". I answered enthusiastically "slightly out of my comfort zone, just the right kind of challenge!". With that, we stayed high and traverse a loooong way till we were rewarded with another pitch of soft snow with a bit of (soft) bumps underneath. We ate it up happily. Then we were back on the main part of the mountain.

Seeing I do ok on the moguls, Sandra took the two of us on the bumpy way to the bottom, working on absorption and extension a lot. My legs were feeling it a bit since I've skied all morning non-stop (took a 1/2 hr lunch break though).

Back up the gondi, I was elated when Sandra took us under the gondi line to that very patch of snow I thought I would love to try. Going with an instructor means we get there the best way. The snow proved to be as good as it looked. The pitch perfect, for me that is. How it was not heavily skied when it's so plainly visible from the gondi is a mystery to me. Perhaps the locals have even better patches they're skiing? The bad news is, we now have to go all the way down to the bottom. OK, maybe THAT's why the locals aren't skiing it!

More bumps on the way to the bottom. I was enjoying it one moment, the next moment, my legs started to get softer than the snow I was on. :( Sandra saw it too. Asked if I prefer groomer now. That's when I got stupid, replied I'm ok with bumps. Well, I was ok for about 5 bumps, a rest, another 3 bumps, then a traverse and some side slip to lose height, trying get to the bottom before Sandra and the other women fall to sleep waiting for me to get down the remainder of the bump field. Finally, I accepted my real condition and took some groomer while working on refining edge pressure control. Sometimes, I think working on technique refinement when tired has some benefit as well.

Forecast for the night was for more significant snow. :) The day before, I discovered a little Bistro call Eleven22 that serves an early bird special 3-course meal for CAN$20! So I headed back to it (in fact, the rest of my stay at Golden).

TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I didn't miss it. But you killed the suspense.:(

TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Sorry, Sibhusky. The rest of the report will be more photo heavy. I need to wait till I get back home with a faster internet connection

Last edited:
TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Day 4 -- Tuesday (1/9), MORE SNOW!

Yesterday when we finished our lesson, we talked about possibly doing more in the remainder of my stay. But I knew my legs needs a bit of a break. The 2 days of "guiding" had shown me many more lines I could take now. And with more and more snow coming, I felt more comfortable to explore on my own. Not to mention I had a lot of my confidence back in steeps even in poor visibility. I can now understand how the locals can move with such ease on the big vast land of pure white. I'm not there yet. But I'm getting there a little bit.

The sun was struggling to get free of the thick clouds, with momentary success.

First thing, I went back to the line under the gondi. The snow looked soooo good there! If I had to go all the way down to the bottom, so be it. It felt a bit weird going alone again. But I psych myself up and pushed ahead. A short traverse and drop in on lovely thick soft snow. Heavenly!

Mid-mountain got enough of its fill of new snow it's skiing reasonably well. I stayed away from the bumps to give my legs a bit more rest. I know more snow is still on the way. The bumps will get smoothed out more if I just give it one more day. There's an interesting blue run called Bear Paw...which I took.
FAF86EA5-D018-439F-BAAE-184309914328.jpeg
(there’s actually a real bear hibernating right in the middle of ski area!)

Back on the gondi, same routine. Just a slightly different line under the gondi. Then another blue run down to the bottom, leaving the bump-filled blacks for the next day.

3 (or 4?) runs was all I could manage top to bottom before both my legs and the clock indicate time for lunch break.

TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
After lunch, back up and made my way to Redemption Ridge. I've always dropped down further down the ridge, I wondered what that steep black groomer off the head of the ridge skis like after the 2 days of 20cm new snow. Also, I never took the blue groomer that wind about to the back of the peak...

Standing on the very top of the ridge, I could see both ways. Left was down the steep black groomer, right was...a relatively untouched snow field to unknown. Judging from the layout of the land, that should somehow connect to the windy blue groomer below. But is there a cliff? Just then, a ghostly shadow of a skier emerged from the veil of cloud, gliding past on the groomer below... It's not even that far, only 3-5 turns. Sure I'll take that 5 turns of untouched powder! And in fact, I'll do that again the next time up!!!

By then, the Crystal Bowl had been blanketed with enough snow it's skiing pretty well. And after 3 days, I've memorized where the ups and downs are so I don't worry about getting stuck in any low points (still totally no visual reference). So I blast through the soft corn/creamcheeze'ish snow field to the chair that takes me back to the top.

After tracking out the few pockets of untouched powders, I went back to the glades on the Crystal side of the ridge. Yuck! I can still feel the bumps underneath the new snow. OK, forget about that and stick to the more tree protected lines.

Time flies when one is having fun. I skidded to a "Stop" sign at the Stairway to Heaven chair. Oh it's already past 3:30? Ooops! Time to go down to the bottom and call it a day. Oh what's that grinding sound under my skis? Must have hit yet another rock. Don't care. The shop at the base was running a tuning special of $10 for rolled wax, another $10 for edges (these are Canadian dollars). It'll be as good the next morning, and I don't even have to carry the skis to the car.

Last edited:
TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Day 5, 1/10 (Wednesday). Another 10cm of new snow! And a promise of Sun!!!

The guest services girl politely informed me this is the last of my 5 free days. "yeah I know" I sighed.

I’ll let the pictures do some of the talking.

Stairway to Heaven chair on RedempRidge:
C1AB0564-F7D6-4D70-8D13-DBBD6EA51F2F.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Fuez Bowl (doesn’t look too steep -- right hand side is the bottom of tower 10, the easiest route into Fuez):
BA7433C2-96B9-455F-9F24-C3603F291424.jpeg

Bottom of the well trodden Crystal Bowl, with the valley beyond and the next range at a distance
AB98D68E-B3B2-4F50-BF96-C0EF4CA47A59.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
A

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
My last day at Kicking Horse. A total of something like 20-30cm of new snow over several days. And the sun came out for a couple hours.

I have the happy dilemma of having to balance how much I want to gawk at the scenery, walk around the top to take pictures in all directions, vs. skiing the new thick coat of powder on all the runs: groomers, bowls, steep or shallow faces...

The day went like a blur. I lapped the more opened lines in Crystal bowl. Went top to bottom in Fuez Bowl and Bowlove, again taking advantage of the good visibility to ski the more wide open lines. But never quite managed to made it over to Superbowl before the sun went back behind the clouds. To fit as many runs in, I gave the bump runs a miss again until the very end...

One last ride up the gondi, enter pea soup again. Finally the tried and true under the gondi line to mid-mountain. Now I have all the time to make it to the bottom, I went further (skier) right and look for bump runs, preferably one filled with new snow. I found soft snows, and I found rocks!

Before the trip, I've been warned Kicking Horse is steep. It was steeper than I had imagined. I was also warned the view is out of this world. It is, heavenly! Right up there, with the best of the best view I've seen.

I've been properly warned. But I didn't believe a place can live up to such hype. I was wrong. I should have taking the "warnings" more seriously. Happily, the "warnings" were all of the good kind!

I was challenged. I found excitement. I explored and found both good snow and good company, expanded my comfort zone a little bit. All in all, 5 fun filled days.

Will go back in a heartbeat if given the chance!

Last edited:

Spelunker

Booting up
Skier
Looks amazing. I might be taking my max pass out there after seeing this.

Sponsor

Staff online