• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah, kick turns are important.
If it's firm, i do a jump turn, but in deep snow that's hard to do.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's pretty hard with AT skis in climbing mode.
Never done it, but it seems like they do it opposite. The uphill ski changes direction first, according to this guide. But if it's steep I woild think you'd do downhill?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Bob Barnes demonstrated it to me a looooong time ago but I struggled.
I will humbly admit, I have never been successful at completing a kick turn. :doh:

I am inspired to work on it and become proficient.
Maybe @Bob Barnes can come spend time with us the first week of May at Loveland and A-Basin and get me into good form :D

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That hurts my knee watching. I used to be able to do them but after an MCL tear, I'm pretty hesitant, at least in one direction!

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tricia practice with an old set of 200+/- skis to the point you just make it, after that you’ll look like a pro on all the new stuff (plus a couple of extra bruises) :rolleyes:

However the point made that some of these things are fading (but not lost) skills is valid. There are several skills now that aren’t learned until much later (to become a true advanced skier) that used to be a required required staple to be an intermediate skier.

Modern equipment allows most to progress without needing these skills, which provides over confidence and gets you deep into situations where you do need them.

To be near the top (skills wise) you will learn all methods sooner or later, the only only factor that has changed is the when and what sequence.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
@Tricia practice with an old set of 200+/- skis to the point you just make it, after that you’ll look like a pro on all the new stuff (plus a couple of extra bruises) :rolleyes:

However the point made that some of these things are fading (but not lost) skills is valid. There are several skills now that aren’t learned until much later (to become a true advanced skier) that used to be a required required staple to be an intermediate skier.

Modern equipment allows most to progress without needing these skills, which provides over confidence and gets you deep into situations where you do need them.

To be near the top (skills wise) you will learn all methods sooner or later, the only only factor that has changed is the when and what sequence.

Yea! Like I can't do tip rolls anymore.....
A great move for getting over to the other side of your poles ;-)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Never done it, but it seems like they do it opposite. The uphill ski changes direction first, according to this guide. But if it's steep I woild think you'd do downhill?

Yeah, if it's steep, you need to do a downhill kick turn (or at least I do), if it's flat enough to do an uphill turn, I don''t see the point of doing a kick turn at all.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The whole Ski Ballet thing really should make a comeback.
It'd be pretty cool what skiers & choreographers could come up with these days, either a as a single event, a pairs event, or a team event.

Skistaff

speed limit
Skier
Everyone should know how to do this naturally.Hard to believe there is a special thread on that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Everyone should know how to do this naturally.Hard to believe there is a special thread on that.
Naturally as in you don't need to be shown/ taught?

Personally I'd never heard of or seen one done until a couple of years ago. And I've never done one myself. (Flexibility and repeated knee issues kind of scare me away from trying.) I think these kinds of threads are useful.

Smear

Getting off the lift
Skier
Kick turns on the way down remind me of my mother. That and traversing was her way of getting down when backcountry touring with the family when we were kids. Kick turn-traverse-traverse-traverse-kick turn and repeat until down. If it was steep she would keep the climbing skins on on the way down as well. I remember this as a bit embarrassing when meeting other people, but now I'm just very glad that she did take us out and that we didn't have to just stay in valleys and flats.

My daugther was outskiing her when backcountry touring as a 3.5 year old, so there is more hope for the next generation. Grandma in upper right corner.

MiniSmear said:
For how so long do we have to wait for grandma?

Smear said:
It will take a while, she is up there practicing her kick turns.

IMG_4648_600width.jpg

It's pretty hard with AT skis in climbing mode.
My old fritschi bindings had return springs to help with that. No such thing on tech bindings but it helps a bit that the pivot point is not in front of the toes.

Now I got inspired to tech kickturning to the kids. And practice my own uphill kick turns. Thanks :thumb:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kick turns on the way down remind me of my mother. That and traversing was her way of getting down when backcountry touring with the family when we were kids. Kick turn-traverse-traverse-traverse-kick turn and repeat until down. If it was steep she would keep the climbing skins on on the way down as well. I remember this as a bit embarrassing when meeting other people, but now I'm just very glad that she did take us out and that we didn't have to just stay in valleys and flats.

My daugther was outskiing her when backcountry touring as a 3.5 year old, so there is more hope for the next generation. Grandma in upper right corner.

View attachment 71089

My old fritschi bindings had return springs to help with that. No such thing on tech bindings but it helps a bit that the pivot point is not in front of the toes.

Now I got inspired to tech kickturning to the kids. And practice my own uphill kick turns. Thanks :thumb:
One old waxing trick that is very seldom taught these days to back country skiers (which save the use of skins) because of the bee shortage is the use of honey. Spread on bases before going up. Climbs anything and ensures full slow control coming down.

;) :roflmao:

Also used on over confident beginners and should be mandatory on snowboarders. Just for safety, of course.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yea! Like I can't do tip rolls anymore.....
A great move for getting over to the other side of your poles ;-)
I know, too much refreshment and a tip roll becomes a face plant (though this is one skill that is still actively practiced with or without tip roll)

:crash:

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Still remember the first time I saw a kick turn on Downdraft at Killington back in the 70's. Learned how to ski by watching then trying myself.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Kick turns were part of the beginner lesson when I started teaching 50 years ago. I used to do them regularly:daffy::daffy: Haven't tried one in probably 25 years and I doubt my old joints would be happy attempting one now.:duck:

James

Out There
Instructor
Still remember the first time I saw a kick turn on Downdraft at Killington back in the 70's. Learned how to ski by watching then trying myself.
Lol, learning a kick turn on the pitch of Downdraft, which must be mid 30's, is...interesting. At least it could be clear sliding.

Kick turns were part of the beginner lesson when I started teaching 50 years ago. I used to do them regularly:daffy::daffy: Haven't tried one in probably 25 years and I doubt my old joints would be happy attempting one now.:duck:
Did you make people sidestep a lot too? The number of kids who get to an advanced level now and can't side step properly is amazing.

Sponsor