Kick Turn, "A lost art"

Discussion in 'Ski School' started by Dan Egan, Apr 10, 2019.

1. pchewn

pchewn Out on the slopes Skier

"Teton Shuffle" or "Jackson Shuffle"

It's a side-step while gliding forward.

2. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

Didn't the "Jackson Shuffle" come right after the "Curley Shuffle"?

pchewn likes this.
  3. Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman Making fresh tracks Instructor

OK, I don't see the point of that.

4. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

you actually can gain vert faster what lydnsey is doing ... its not like it takes skill it to do it though

5. François Pugh

François Pugh Making fresh tracks Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    It's more of a movement efficiency thing. The sliding down doesn't create any more energy (kinetic) than the available potential (elevation) energy from the starting point, but the movement retains the energy created with a smooth swing of the legs.

6. Crank

Crank Out on the slopes Skier

It looks more like what you would do on a traverse to move along faster or perhaps gain a little altitude to get above the traverse line or reach a higher one. Probably more of and Alta shuffle. I don't see the point if you are just sidestepping straight up the fall line.

7. François Pugh

François Pugh Making fresh tracks Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    The point is if you do the normal sidestep, you have to start your foot from a dead stop on every up-step, instead of keeping the momentum going and getting into the swing of it. More efficient. Less energy spent.

8. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Oh yeah, this was in the Deslauriers book years ago. It only works if tou let yourself glide on the converging step. Going from the Over easy gondola at Stowe to the lodge or chair I did this. Tou can get some speed and altitude, but depends on snow.

Dan Egan likes this.
  9. Brad J

Brad J Getting on the lift Skier

As a young boy my dad brought me to a hill and taught me all the fundamentals, side step , herringbone, and the hardest kick turn. As a youngster I certainly didn’t get how important these basic’s are, but I do one or more of these everyday I ski. Dad was so smart!!!

Dan Egan likes this.
  10. Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs Skiing the powder Industry Insider Pugski Ski Tester

I do kick turns quite often. The most challenging time is in the trees in deep snow.

I also do the 'Breck shuffle' especially to pass the slow pokes on the traverse to get to Peak 7 terrain. It is more about the keeping going with some speed than actually gaining elevation in my case.

Dan Egan likes this.
  11. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Out on the slopes Skier

When I was a kid my dad picked up some wooden asnes xc skis. I went to the old upstairs sports section at the library and took out a book from the 1960s on xc skiing and practiced the various techniques described in the book. One was a turn similar to this. Though I don't use it when moving it has worked for me if I get stuck under a log or some crust and need to turn around. I was showing it to my kids a few years ago at Cannon and some guy was like you're going to break your legs haha.

12. alexz

alexz preparing for the last certif exam Skier

see from 1min 30sec :

James and LiquidFeet like this.
  13. mdf

mdf entering the Big Couloir Skier

Seeing traffic here reminds me -- I used a kick turn "in the wild" at Mary Jane on my last trip. I wound up in a narrow dead end through the woods. Turning around without a kick turn would have been awkward, but it would not have occurred to me without this thread.

14. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Making fresh tracks Instructor

I learned to do a kick turn about 12 years ago, in a weekend instructional camp, from one of the camp members. It's the only thing I learned that weekend, and I am really grateful as it's come in useful often. No training session of any sort since then has addressed kick turns, and I've been an instructor the whole time attending as many training sessions as I can get, and I've changed which trainers I work with because I've worked at three different mountains. So, IME, it isn't being taught often enough. I've taught it to British teens; they loved it.