• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

DILLON, Colo. (AP) - Health officials in Colorado say there are 17 confirmed cases of mumps among employees of a ski resort.

Summit Daily News reported Summit County Public Health officials say the number of cases is expected to grow at Keystone Resort in Keystone. The county is attempting to limit the spread by evaluating people who have been in contact with others who have been confirmed to have the illness. Employees of the Vail Resorts Management Company resort who tested positive have been told to remain at home.

Mumps is a contagious viral disease that causes pain and swelling in the salivary glands.

ATLSkier

Putting on skis
Skier
I heard about this when I was in Beaver Creek this weekend. Sad to hear that many people didn't get the vaccine.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone know how long does mumps take to run it's course? For the benefit of the locals/visitors, might be a good estimate for an "all clear".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I had the mumps. I was 4. It really sucked!

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
My understanding is that the folks are employees. No staff has said this out loud, but J-1 visa combined with dormitory housing for some workers, lower immunization rates.....Mumps is extremely contagious.

I have a kid in ski school there most weeks. I have called and asked. They claim no instructors for kids have mumps. Probably require them to be upto date on shots. They also claim of the kids in ski school 90% are up to date in shots—how they know that figure...not sure.

Some people just won’t get vaccines and coast on herd immunity.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to admit...I thought mumps was some skiing term I’d not heard of yet when I first read the subject line. Like bumps, but with more of a mashed potato consistency.
I'm sure Keystone mgmt were wishing so. Given this age of poor spelling, typos, most guesses otherwise are in the realm of possibility.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A common complication of mumps among adult men is an extremely painful orchitis. This should be emphasized to the half-wits who refuse to be vaccinated :geek:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have to admit...I thought mumps was some skiing term I’d not heard of yet when I first read the subject line. Like bumps, but with more of a mashed potato consistency.
I'm an expert skier but don't like to ski mumps.. It's not that you can't ski mumps, it's that you can't ski and the mumps prove it..

Sponsor

Staff online