• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keto, Low Carb, Atkins, IF Thread

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I bailed at one week with a loss of 9 lbs.
The first week is just water weight. That rate of loss doesn't continue. I lost 7 the first week, but am only losing 3 pounds a month now and I'm actually consuming fewer calories each month. Sure you can cut way way back -- when I was in grad school I did 800 calories a day for several months, but you can't keep that up and stay healthy. I'm averaging 1500-1600 a day, so I don't feel like I'm dieting. I sort of miss bread, that's it, and that's just maybe every few weeks.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Is that total carbs or net carbs?
Net

Here's my targets and then my start-to-present average achievements. Recent 30 days calories are at 1511 as I'm re-figuring my calorie target as I lose weight. Basically, the skinnier you are the less it takes to get out of a chair or climb the stairs. The target ranges were from Atkins at inception, but I started looking for a bit more info in that area as I hit plateaus and decided to keep more of an eye on calories than Atkins does.

Screenshot_20220828-230953~3.png

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I thought I'd sign onto this thread since I'm doing Atkins (did it 1998-2007* and was quite successful.) Down 18 lbs so far. Losing slowly relative to when I was younger, but that's fine. (I started CGRP meds for my migraines and EVERYONE in the CGRP forums I'm in is gaining, so I feel like as long as I'm losing, it's good.) Averaging 18.8 net carbs per day, but also watching calories (and adjusting caloric goal range down as I lose.) Calories average 1611 per day, generally lower in more recent weeks. I expect to reach goal weight in 2024.
Updated after a month.

Down 21.5 lbs so far. Averaging 18.9 net carbs per day, but also watching calories (and adjusting caloric goal range down as I lose.) Calories average 1597.6 per day, generally lower (1525) in more recent weeks. I expect to reach goal weight in 2024. ( :( Slow going.)

Last edited by a moderator:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Carbs are low. I never get that low.

How difficult are you finding this?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Carbs are low. I never get that low.

How difficult are you finding this?
Not immensely. The important thing is I measure and track everything. Before dinner I make sure how much room I have left in various categories before I eat. Occasionally if I've run out of room I'll analyze the numbers to see what is causing the problem (like too much cream in my coffee or whatever) and adjust things. Fortunately I like broccoli.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Over the years I've tried every diet I can find with no results. After 2 years eating 600-700 calories, 15 g of healthy fat and working out twice a day I gained weight. Now I'm up to eating 1200(ish) calories a day for 6 months still with no results. I'm open anything (legal or illegal) at this point!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
You're actually measuring, weighing, writing things down, and at 1200 a day still not losing any weight? Or you're "eyeballing" things? Ignoring the pat of butter, the stick of gum, etc.?