• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep those hands up (lesson learned the hard way)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This is a design safety flaw that will cause injuries, now that somebody has mentioned it hope they change it as it has a known liability.
Yes, this has been an issue for a long time. There have been many different panel attachment designs but I don’t think any of them have been perfect.
After Bodes crash and gash which basically ended his career, I believe the problem was looked at again and another improved design has been used since. Arms getting caught & bad things were still happening on the WC this season. Ski racing has never been considered a “safe” activity.

Gate Panels for Giant Slalom Super-G and Downhill
Gate panels which conform to the FIS Specifications must be used for all Giant Slalom, Super-G and Downhill competitions published in the FIS Calendar. A list of homologated panels is published on the FIS Website. Arts. 701.3.2, 901.2.2 and 1001.3.2 remain valid.
690.1 Release in case of collision
Gate panels should release from the pole when a competitor gets caught by it. The gate panel must meet the test requirements for this as defined in the specifications for Gate Panel Homologation.
690.2 No removal during normal collision with the pole
During normal collisions, the gate panel should not release from the pole. The gate panel must meet the test requirements for this defined in the specifications for Gate Panel Homologation.
690.3 Wind permeability
The panel must be made of wind-permeable material.

Last edited:
TS
Deadslow

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is a design safety flaw that will cause injuries, now that somebody has mentioned it hope they change it as it has a known liability.

This issue (non tear-away panels, non hinged gates) has been repeated called out to the coaches at our local masters program. However, since the masters program is a profit center for the ski school/area - it will continue to be ignored. :facepalm:

TS
Deadslow

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
You are in good company…

I was in the stands when he crashed that day :eek:

ouch.jpg

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
This issue (non tear-away panels, non hinged gates) has been repeated called out to the coaches at our local masters program. However, since the masters program is a profit center for the ski school/area - it will continue to be ignored. :facepalm:
Do the panels meet current FIS (USSA) standards? Can be hard to get insurance if you don't (at least say you're going to) use them ...

Looks like the outside pole is hinged ... that's okay ... but clearly the program has enough hinged gates to use for GS...

odd.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
There is a time and a place for everything. From the recreational side your hands too high can cause other problems and dangers.

Years ago skiing at Snowbird, skiing in the aspens on a snowy flat light day, had the hands a little too high and wide. Did the infamous double tree grab, an arm around each tree and the body and skis nicely in between. Turned into a cartoon move with the body stopped and the feet kept moving. The tips were instantly pointed at the sky, and the body fell into a nice feathery bed of powder. With more speed it could have been bad, nothing wounded but my pride, and thankfully way before gopros.

High hands have their own dangers.

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
I think course management had as much to do with it as technique as he clearly was not prepared for the undergate with which he got entangled. How comprehensive was his course inspection?

TS
Deadslow

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think course management had as much to do with it as technique as he clearly was not prepared for the undergate with which he got entangled. How comprehensive was his course inspection?

A course inspection was completed immediately after the course was set. Was it comprehensive enough - unknown. Sometimes you never know exactly how the course will ski, until you ski the course. But video is from my 2nd or 3rd time down the course. Is the skier at fault for this (my) error - yes.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are in good company…
I think this was Bode's last race start, not counting his carefully chosen forerunning the following year. Classic Bode- has the green light, yet DNF's. Luckily no permanent damage (that we know of).

Sponsor

Staff online