• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep those hands up (lesson learned the hard way)

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hello Pugskiers,

With the unfortunate end of season - here's a video of a run that reminds me to keep my hands up.

All are invited to comment, MA or face palm.

PS - no animals, vegetables or minerals were hurt during the filming of this video.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seems like you are a pretty good skier. How the heck are we supposed to keep our hands in the right spot?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What happened here was-after that beautifully carved right turn, the protagonist thought: Damn, I AM GOOD, started celebrating in his mind and forgot to pay attention where the hands should be... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I tell my athletes to keep their hands closer together (narrower than shoulders) to avoid this error. When they start clipping gates, the gate will ride up their arm and off the shoulder. Good way to keep the hands in front too!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
My orthopedic surgeon related how a teammate of his daughter's caught his arm in a GS gate. The consequence was a severing of the brachial plexus nerve and permanent loss of the arm. Be careful!

Mike

PS. Nice Skiing!

TS
Deadslow

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
What happened here was-after that beautifully carved right turn, the protagonist thought: Damn, I AM GOOD, started celebrating in his mind and forgot to pay attention where the hands should be... :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

This is the most likely scenario - ;)

TS
Deadslow

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
My orthopedic surgeon related how a teammate of his daughter's caught his arm in a GS gate. The consequence was a severing of the brachial plexus nerve and permanent loss of the arm. Be careful!

Mike

PS. Nice Skiing!

That's a very unfortunate outcome - that's a good reminder to ski safely.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
This is how I like the hands to be positioned...

karl race 2017.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Same thing happened to me when i was a kid goofing around on a race course. It hurt.

Thats why skiing is so great ski around a bunch of poles that will rip your arm off. Go to the top of a mountain in subzero temps and jump off a cliff.

James

Out There
Instructor
We had a family member, a doc but no ortho, put back in a dislocated shoulder on a course once. College race. He knew the racer, happened to be watching near that gate. The racer screamed for him to put it back in. Racer was a big guy, doc used that weight downhill, foot in chest, pulling. Got it in. Everyone was happy.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually, looking at it, connecting flags are the issue, catch a single pole is ok (hurts like hell), the double flagged did not release from either pole and the only release was the arm(or offending body part)
itself.

This is a design safety flaw that will cause injuries, now that somebody has mentioned it hope they change it as it has a known liability.

Years ago bamboo got expensive (or hard to get) and some idiot got Aluminum 1” square and round poles for the Caledon Ski Club in Ontario. The risk of injury was great as they didn’t flex, they bent or sheared (while Aluminum still left sharp edges). It only lasted a year. I sheared one pole with my skis and one with my body (luckily no serious injuries) in a bad fall when my older style toe piece released even though it was cranked own to lock it.

Sponsor