• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep the old or get new?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I have a set of 19 Armada Tracer 108’s that work well. Easy to ski, smooth enough, but do get pushed around a bit in chop. They have a couple core shots that was going to repair and then going to mount a set of Shifts and call it a day.

But this year I started skiing on Stockli’s. I have a set of SR83’s and Most recently I picked up a set of SR95’s and I really like them.

So that leads me to the question of should I just pickup a set of SR105’s and put Shifts on them? Then fix, grind, then unload the Armada’s?

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a set of 19 Armada Tracer 108’s that work well. Easy to ski, smooth enough, but do get pushed around a bit in chop. They have a couple core shots that was going to repair and then going to mount a set of Shifts and call it a day.

But this year I started skiing on Stockli’s. I have a set of SR83’s and Most recently I picked up a set of SR95’s and I really like them.

So that leads me to the question of should I just pickup a set of SR105’s and put Shifts on them? Then fix, grind, then unload the Armada’s?

Well that certainly is a tough choice, for a lot of people once they go Stockli the rest just isn't quite the same. If you are just not feeling the Armadas then sell them. Personally I love my Tracer 108 for touring, as it is light and capable of handling most things that I need it to. The Stormrider will be a bit heavier but certainly amazing on the downhill. I find that I will use the Stockli 105 as a deeper day powder ski, It feels a lot wider than it is when skiing it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I have a set of 19 Armada Tracer 108’s that work well. Easy to ski, smooth enough, but do get pushed around a bit in chop.

You're trying to persuade yourself that what you have is good enough. It doesn't seem to be working.

Another way to phrase the only question you've posed is whether you should sell the Tracers with one or two sets of binding holes.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Have demo'd the SR105's to know for sure you like them significantly better than your current setup?

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Well that certainly is a tough choice, for a lot of people once they go Stockli the rest just isn't quite the same. If you are just not feeling the Armadas then sell them. Personally I love my Tracer 108 for touring, as it is light and capable of handling most things that I need it to. The Stormrider will be a bit heavier but certainly amazing on the downhill. I find that I will use the Stockli 105 as a deeper day powder ski, It feels a lot wider than it is when skiing it.

I’ve been happy on the Tracers. I am concerned about the weight of the SR’s but I can’t say I’ve done enough side country to 100% say I’ll notice the weight difference. I did use a Praxis 110’s with Frame bindings and I didn’t like the uphill or downhill. Thus the shift to the Shifts.

Can you share your feelings on both skis in crud and 3D snow?

We don’t get a lot of powder days, but when we do I want to enjoy them to the max. Also do western trips too. My enjoyment is more important than a few $$.

You're trying to persuade yourself that what you have is good enough. It doesn't seem to be working.

Another way to phrase the only question you've posed is whether you should sell the Tracers with one or two sets of binding holes.

I’m not sure if I’m trying to justify or quantify or what. I have something that works & it’s a ski I know. Used skis appear to be worth squat anyways. So I’m not super concerned about a 2nd set of holes. I could also throw a demo binding on them and keep them at the condo for Freinds when they visit & don’t have fatter skis. But...

Have demo'd the SR105's to know for sure you like them significantly better than your current setup?

I have not. I’m my head I’m hoping they are like a fatter SR95.. that’s part of the reason I put this post out. Hoping someone might share their feelings on both skis.

TimF

Putting on skis
Skier
You should definitely buy some new AND keep the old. How else are you going to satisfy the "N+1" rule? (If you have N skis, you need N+1).
This is a truism! Or at least it is mine. But I did sell 3 pair of skis this year so if N+1 works and then if N-x happens you have to activate new rule of #of skis =N+1+x

James

Out There
Instructor
This is a truism! Or at least it is mine. But I did sell 3 pair of skis this year so if N+1 works and then if N-x happens you have to activate new rule of #of skis =N+1+x
Selling multiple pairs of skis tends to invoke a multiplier factor in new acquisitions, instead of the usual addition factor.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
This is just a 1 for 1 situation... let’s keep the math simple.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep the old or get new? Yes.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The tracer 108 is great in soft snow, and that's what you'll hope to find by touring. Just don't use them at the resorts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Do you plan on touring with these or will they just be in bounds? The SR is not the lightest ski and not the best for touring where the Tracer will be better. You have the SR95, the Tracer will be a better complement to that verses the 107. I say stay....until next week when the urge hits again. ;)

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Do you plan on touring with these or will they just be in bounds?

To be 100% honest it’s more side country type stuff. Short skin trips to access bowls and related terrain. Not traditional touring (not going to work that hard when we have passes). Occasionally skin up due to lift closures.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
To me the SR95 was a bit more of a charger than a playful ski, it loved crud piles and junked out groomers more than it liked tree play. It didn't have that pop and pivot one looks for to enjoy deep powder or threading trees. If the SR 105 has more flex and a bigger rocker, game on. If it's similar to the SR95, it defeats my personal purpose of a wide ski.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
The answer to this question is always get the new if you have the funds.

TS
E

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Back at the cross roads. Was on the Tracers the other day only to pull a section of edge. I really frustrates me when places drop the ropes on trails they really don’t have enough coverage. I even asked the patrol about the coverage as they were rolling up the rope. I was told ”it’s awesome, man made base covered in fresh”. Given the crap weather we have had back East this year, I think the higher ups are pushing for trail openings sooner to insure guests don’t cancel reservations and go elsewhere.

@trailtrimmer - the SR95 is my current daily. I find it very versatile and predictable. My understanding is the ‘20 SR105 has some tail rocker and the tip flex point was moved back slightly. But I haven’t demo’d it yet. We dont get a lot of powder days with fresh tracks so this ski may end up being a crud buster.

@PNWRod - I have not demo’d them. I am not sure I will like them more than my current tracers. The other option is I can proform a new set of tracers for much less than the Stocklis. I’m trying to look past price, but it’s hard to do sometimes.

@Chef23 - I’ve also pondered last years sr105 without the tail rocker to save some $$. But I think this years version with tail rocker might be nicer for softer snow (pure speculation). Although 80-90% of its use will be inbounds and busting thru chopped up snow/crud. prices are obviously higher for current year.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online