• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep skiis on same feet or change them?

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
What’s the general consensus on keeping skiis on the same feet or rotating the as the left and right ski?

Do they wear more evenly if you swap them? Or is it better to keep them dedicated left and right?

My topsheets on my enforcer 93 are not the same, no mentally I like to keep the “N” on the left, (for whatever reason) but I am wondering about the actual physical effects of this

James

Out There
Instructor
You can swap when you want a sharper edge. Rsce kids with only one pair do it all the time. It would probably be good for you yo switch occasionally.

Otherwise, we ususlly get damage to one edge at some point. So it's good to know wher it is to pit it on little toe side.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I try to make sure that I switch skis from left to right on a regular basis, since I have a stronger turn to one side.
When I had symmetric graphics on a pair of skis, I tended to like to keep the graphics symmetrical so they wore unevenly, which is when I started to be conscious about switching them up.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I swap back and forth even if it messes up the graphics. I like graphics that don't care.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't pay attention so odds are that they get switched around. There's still a chance that they end up on the same foot each time.

If skis are regularly tuned is there still a benefit to changing feet?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I switch skis because I want to use them evenly. Keeping them on the same foot is a throw back to old equipment, with today's equipment you don't need to do it.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Same feet; otherwise how would I remember where they go?
Two main reasons: 1 believe there is some variance to all equipment. 2 don't want them to last forever (want new skis).

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
As a tuner, I'll say that if you don't switch your skis left and right there can be noticeable uneven wear. Coaches are the worst but switching skis won't help them as they will typically slip courses on either their right or left edges. Switching skis won't matter for them. The harder the snow, the more your base edges and bases wear out.

Regular tuning and (less regular, but as needed by using a true bar for reference) base grinds will improve your skiing experience. You don't notice the base edges increasing from 1 to 2 degrees or the bases becoming convex overnight, but you will notice them being they way you remembered them when they were nearly new after you get a tune.

I don't swap my skis all the time, but I also ski 3D snow a lot which wears the skis a lot less than hard pack, man-made and ice. I also like having the knowledge that when need be, I can swap for a 'better' (read: less damaged) edge when I need them. This hasn't been the season for that, though. ;)

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Switch them out, but it's remembering what ski was right or left. Now they have different stickers. So Pug goes in the morning on the left and Ski Diva goes left after lunch.

Maybe I should try just Pug on even days and Diva on odd days....

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One day after a fresh tune I can blindfold myself and easily tell which ski was on which foot by running a finger down the edges. I bang my skis/boots/bindings against each other a lot so inside edge wear is prodigious, and boots and bindings look significantly older than they are. So yes, I absolutely switch, but with no rhyme or reason because ...... geezer.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I always switch after lunch based on my belief that the edges will wear more evenly that way. But then, I've got a touch of OCD!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of Elan skis use the Amphibio design that requires dedicated left/right skis. Inside edge is full camber and the outside edge is rockered in the tip and tail. I can tell the difference in wear of my Amphibio 88 XTi when I tune them after a week long ski trip. When I tried switching them anyway, I found them a little too twitchy for my tastes.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I used to pay attention and try to ski a week on one set of insides then week 2 on the other sides, tune, rinse and repeat. Now that I have more skis tin my quiver han ski days per season and try to rotate skiing different choices it's a pretty moot point.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A lot of Elan skis use the Amphibio design that requires dedicated left/right skis. Inside edge is full camber and the outside edge is rockered in the tip and tail.

Sounds like this belongs in the convex/concave base tuning discussion.How do you set base angles when one side is twisted a different direction than the other?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid