• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep repairing 2002 Honda CRV vs buy new car now?

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm lucky that way. Despite having some experience with old junkers and no money to pay for mechanics and being no dummie, I bought a book that got me started when I was in graduate school. It was "Auto Repairs for Dummies", by Deanna Sclar. Probably not up to date on latest computer diagnostics, but as @scott43 points out, you have to know the basics first. I highly recommend it.
It would probably be good to read something like that just to understand what my mechanic is saying.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^^^At least you understand something about cars. I would like to learn more, but I can't learn it by reading.

Seconded - you can learn an amazing amount by reading. Back in the day the practice was to get a Chilton's for your car (based on the factory service manual) and a Haynes manual (written from a teardown and rebuild of the car, so photographs instead of exploded drawings). Between the two (and often you do need both) you could get an idea of most repair procedures.
Sometimes I can understand what the mechanics are saying, but not always. At the Honda dealership, the service advisors are hard to follow (sometimes I'm not sure they understand the mechanics.
Yeh, sometimes you think they're just trying to snow you...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
^^^At least you understand something about cars. I would like to learn more, but I can't learn it by reading.Sometimes I can understand what the mechanics are saying, but not always. At the Honda dealership, the service advisors are hard to follow (sometimes I'm not sure they understand the mechanics. I would have to learn by doing, which I don't think is going to happen.
The service advisors sometimes mess up the message. I had a service advisor tell me there was no code stored in the computer, and maybe I inadvertent erased it by using an aftermarket code reader. He went on and on about how he couldn't authorize any waranty work without a code. I had them checking out a speed sensor code that went away; I thought I should have it looked at before my waranty expired. Turns the code is still in the computer, just as a historical code, not an active one. Repair order/record stated no active code.

Sometimes having a service representative translate between mechanic and customer is not a good idea.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The service advisors sometimes mess up the message. I had a service advisor tell me there was no code stored in the computer, and maybe I inadvertent erased it by using an aftermarket code reader. He went on and on about how he couldn't authorize any waranty work without a code. I had them checking out a speed sensor code that went away; I thought I should have it looked at before my waranty expired. Turns the code is still in the computer, just as a historical code, not an active one. Repair order/record stated no active code.

Sometimes having a service representative translate between mechanic and customer is not a good idea.
I've gotten to know many of them at the local Honda dealer. Some understand cars better than others. And some just don't know how to explain car problems to a non-car person. I do like to know how things work, but need to start with basics.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
YouTube is your friend. I probably would have broken the tail light lense (the outside part that has to come off before you can change the bulb) like thousands of others on the pontiac wave / chevy avio had I not viewed a video on it first. The lense has to be pulled straight back and is well stuck on, even after removing the screws.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update on my CRV. I had some work done on the oxygen sensor so that it would pass smog recently. Just took it in for an oil change and the shop recommended I not drive it home because the clutch master cylinder is leaking. $270 to fix. I'm going to have it fixed because the new car I want to buy (2021 RAV4 plug-in hybrid) won't come out until later this year. Plus I love my CRV. The shop owner drove me home in his 2001 Land Rover with 250k on it. He says he's going to convert it to electric.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the new car I want to buy (2021 RAV4 plug-in hybrid) won't come out until later this year.

The new Rav4 Prime (I think that's the right name) should be an awesome hybrid replacement for your CRV.

If my Toyota guy knows anything about demand for this vehicle, I'd consider putting down a deposit soon.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new Rav4 Prime (I think that's the right name) should be an awesome hybrid replacement for your CRV.

If my Toyota guy knows anything about demand for this vehicle, I'd consider putting down a deposit soon.
I'm on an interest list-I guess I'll ask if they're taking deposits yet. I'm not in that much of a hurry, though, lol.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I have a 2002 Honda CRV EX with just over 150,000 miles on it. It is a manual transmission (probably the last one I'll own), AWD, and has been a great car.

In the past few years I've had a few problems with the car, the most expensive being the check engine light, which goes on and off. I have been told I need a new catalytic converter, but if I use premium gas, the light doesn't usually go on, and the car passed California smog tests last February (the check engine light has been going on and off for at least 4 years). Replacing the catalytic converter at the dealer would be $3119.

Another problem is the suspension: I need front strut assemblies, front lower ball joints, and compliance bushings. Altogether the suspension work would be $1613 (including alignment). I'm not sure how urgent the suspension work is.

They have also recommended all coolant hose and thermostats be replaced (due to age) for $920.

Then there's the drive belt which is frayed. Replacement is $164.

And there's a small oil leak which will be at least $380 to fix.

The most recent and urgent problem is the the radiator and condenser fan belts need replacing for $1245.

I should probably just get a new car, but I'm not quite ready to buy. I'm just finishing up helping my daughter with her college education, and want to save some more money before buying a car.

I'm also considering getting the new Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid Plug-in, but I haven't had time to figure out if I should do that vs just the Crosstrek (my first choice for a new car, although I haven't driven one yet).

I'm thinking about just getting the radiator and condenser fan belts replaced (those caused it to overheat and have to be towed) and the drive belt replaced, and then fixing one other problem every month or so (with the exception of the catalytic converter), and hoping it will last through the summer or even until the next time it has to be smogged (probably next February).

So I would be paying more than a car payment would be for a few months, but saving on insurance and registration costs, and hopefully getting my car to a point where it would have some trade-in value.

I would appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks in advance.
a little late (like almost a year). I would probably have some new cats thrown on it for 157 per https://www.carid.com/catco/direct-...mpn-4249.html?singleid=2455905141&url=3604808

a set of struts 76 dollars, ball joints for 90

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Sponsor

Staff online