• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Keep out!!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Is MRG still edgist too? I think powerplowing a black or traversing the bumps by lower level skiers does just as much damage to the terrain as heel sliding boarders do all other things equal. I've heard that the traverses are where boarders are really at a disadvantage and get in the way. Personally, I've tried many different ways to skide on snow but definitelly prefer four edges on two free moving legs. Chairlifts are also built for forward facing binding equipment. If it were up to me I'd let the knucle draggers in and ban snow blades (skis under 170 cm) instead. Didn't some areas ban short skis on bump runs years ago?

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
There used to be a sign on a bump slope at Aspen that called for skis longer than some number of centimeters I cannot remember.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think part of the problem is that even many middle aged snowboarders who used to be good will resort to sliding once their legs get tired or they wipe out one too many times. You don't see lots of out of shape but o.k. skiers snowplowing a whole icy section. They might start pushing the snow around in an unwanted way but not to the extent of a boarder who can just lean back and skid the whole thing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Is this the rebirth of, "Short Skis Suck"?

There is always going to be someone to mess up a steep or chew up the bumps. If they can keep my ski hill financially viable, welcome. We are all here to play in the snow, but please stop at the side of a run.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
...Chairlifts are also built for forward facing binding equipment. If it were up to me I'd let the knucle draggers in and ban snow blades (skis under 170 cm) instead. Didn't some areas ban short skis on bump runs years ago?

So you'd ban Marcel Hirscher on his SL skis?

I can't find hard facts on the length he uses, but I would be surprised to hear that WCers use skis longer than the allowed minimum of 165 cm in SL.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There used to be a sign on a bump slope at Aspen that called for skis longer than some number of centimeters I cannot remember.

Not Aspen but another:

Outhouse, Mary Jane
Outhouse may only be a single Black Diamond but its legend is secure, partly because you can be seen coming down by everyone at the lodge at the bottom and also because of the notorious sign in the old days warning that skis under 180cm were not allowed. Of course shorter skis are in vogue these days what with the shaped ski designs, but in the old days if you skied on less than 180cm, you weren’t worthy.

http://news.outdoortechnology.com/2015/03/11/6-gnarly-colorado-mogul-runs/

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Banning, is pretty much a pointless exercise
They don’t, for obvious reasons. Our resident genius would also be banning the skis used by most women and all children. Mind you, perhaps he has a point...
@Primoz, @Muleski, @ScotsSkier now I am really intrigued. Do you know what length top FIS racers are using 4 slalom?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
taos-hell freezes over.jpg

BTDT. World didn't end. Life goes on. Nothing changed. Surprise...not.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find it amusing that people think snowboarders ruin bump runs. I actually don’t see that many snowboarders on moguls, it’s usually not their favorite thing. I see a lot skiers ruining bumps, and then again, it just makes the bumps a more interesting challenge. I don’t need them to be perfectly symmetrical.

For some people (say, my SO) the biggest complaint about snowboards (more so that the snowboarders) is the loud scraping sound they make, which freaks her out when it’s coming from above her and she’s concerned she’s going to get hit, which has happened. That said, most boarders are just like skiers, nice people, happy to have a good time without terrorizing anyone.

I do see many boarders trying to ride steeper terrain much sooner in their learning curve than skiers, and that’s where you see a lot of the side slipping and scraping of snow. I think skiers side slipping on the same terrain would do the same thing to the snow. I think it’s simply a matter of boarders being more likely to over-terrain themselves, for whatever reason. I don’t know what the ration of boarder to skiers is/are, but I do know we have far fewer snowboarders than skiers taking lessons at my ski school, and I think it’s also the case for the other ski schools in my area. Given there is a lot of advanced terrain in most of the PNW ski areas, it results in snowboarders taking on terrain without the skills to really ride it.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ah yes the debate continues . I have good freinds who are knuckledraggers but I believe keeping them out of Alta preserves the snow for much better skiing throughout the season - all you need to do is compare it to Snowbird . those in the know do know

https://deadspin.com/the-last-holdo...-and-snow-1835405082?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I'm confused. The wording of your post makes it sound like you think the article that you've linked supports your beliefs. But, the conclusion in the article is that snowboards don't actually make a difference to snow quality, bump runs, etc. So, are you actually disagreeing with the article?

As for snow quality at Alta vs. Snowbird, are you sure that's not due to other factors, such as the orientation of the terrain or number of riders per acre?

James

Out There
Instructor
Banning, is pretty much a pointless exercise

@Primoz, @Muleski, @ScotsSkier now I am really intrigued. Do you know what length top FIS racers are using 4 slalom?
They use 165cm. They used to use 150-60 Then the minimums changed. Those 160 slaloms were sweet.

Not sure why any of this matters. At alta they go sideways as much as down.

Who skied < 180cm in the 70's? Kids and ballet.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Do you know what length top FIS racers are using 4 slalom?
Its 165cm for men, but he has point. I would ban all skis shorter then let's say 210cm SG skis. If you can't handle FIS SG ski, you don't belong to ski course, so you are out. World would be much nicer if even on busy days there would be only 3 or 4 guys skiing :roflmao:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At Crested Butte sometime in the 1960's a hand lettered sign at the top of the lift served mountain read NO SHORT SKIS. As I was on 205's or 207's I was cleared to try to ski the steep ungroomed bumped up trails. Apparently I survived. The lift must have been the 3 person gondola. Two people faced uphill and the other downhill, knees interlocked, very cozy.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So you'd ban Marcel Hirscher on his SL skis?

I can't find hard facts on the length he uses, but I would be surprised to hear that WCers use skis longer than the allowed minimum of 165 cm in SL.
That makes as much sense as banning snowboarders regardless of their actual ability level. Thank you for proving the point that post was trying to make..

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It just shows that those that need those rules really can’t ski because they need the conditions to be perfect. Those that can ski, really don’t care what they’re on, what conditions they’re in and what they’re on, they just ski and don’t complain.

Sponsor

Staff online