• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kastle MX78 HELP NEEDED!!!

Jon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Industry Insider
Hey all, after hearing so many great reviews about the MX78 I saw a pair on Epic for a good price and pulled the trigger. I had three days on them last season(With a poor tune, I only had time to wax and deburr). This season I have six days, three of which were spent on the kastles. I had them completely reset to 1,3 by a great shop. Last year they didn't feel like anything special when I skied them, and this year they felt the same. If anyone can offer some advise that would be great. Im just confused an dissapointed because they seem to be the perfect ski for me. Also, they have k12 bindings as well as the plate, they are 178 long. Thanks in advance.

I am a very aggressive skier(On piste, from racing) Aggressive off piste
Height-5'10"
Weight-145-150
Current Quiver:
Volkl Racetiger SL-155
Kastle MX78-178
Nordica NRGY 90-177
Nordica Dobermann GSR-193

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm. What were your expectations? They will be more like your GSR than your NRGy 90, I will say that. They are smooth and refined and enjoy speed. Considering what you have and how you say you ski, they sound like the right size.

TS
Jon

Jon

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Industry Insider
Hmmm. What were your expectations? They will be more like your GSR than your NRGy 90, I will say that. They are smooth and refined and enjoy speed. Considering what you have and how you say you ski, they sound like the right size.

I expected them to feel like a nice carver(good stability, edgehold, and rebound from turn to turn), and also be a little versatile when the snow gets deeper or softer, or when I venture off piste. They didn't do anything well, and I've skied them on hardpack, a couple inches of fresh, and in the trees/bumps.

The only thing I can think of is the skis being decambered or having an issue with the core, because they felt 'dead' underfoot, like they were just getting the job done, ie. getting me down the mountain.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I expected them to feel like a nice carver(good stability, edgehold, and rebound from turn to turn), and also be a little versatile when the snow gets deeper or softer, or when I venture off piste. They didn't do anything well, and I've skied them on hardpack, a couple inches of fresh, and in the trees/bumps.

The only thing I can think of is the skis being decambered or having an issue with the core, because they felt 'dead' underfoot, like they were just getting the job done, ie. getting me down the mountain.
Sorry if it sound like I was questioning you, I wasn't, I was asking what you were expecting. The MX78..all the MX's are not playful springy skis, they are a bit more stoic and smooth. Their tip design does come out of the snow better than most 78mm skis but they are still fairly stiff and with that square tail does not lend themselves to off piste and soft snow conditions as say some other jus like this, say the Stockli Laser AX. Now not liking them on hardback does befuddle me a bit, this is where I did envoy them the most. I would question the camber like you did but the odds that both skis are bent are pretty slim. I would say, as a last resort, explain to them that they are not living up to your expectations and they are going into "time out" until they get a better attitude. I know this works with golf clubs and I believe @kitchener did that with his Stormrider 95's and it worked wonders.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Kastle Tips seem to be really straight. I find I have to really power into them to get them to bend unless the snow is perfectly firm hard snow. In sugar snow ior weird groomers I kinda of hate them to be honest, no amount of getting on the tip gets them to respond well for me. I had some Mx83 and sold them for that reason. when I owned them really just wanted the hardest possible snow for them. My X power Blizzards seem to be a ton easier to get the tip to engage even on not perfect hard snow.

J

Jon

Unregistered
Sorry if it sound like I was questioning
you, I wasn't, I was asking what you were expecting. The MX78..all the MX's are not playful springy skis, they are a bit more stoic and smooth. Their tip design does come out of the snow better than most 78mm skis but they are still fairly stiff and with that square tail does not lend themselves to off piste and soft snow conditions as say some other jus like this, say the Stockli Laser AX. Now not liking them on hardback does befuddle me a bit, this is where I did envoy them the most. I would question the camber like you did but the odds that both skis are bent are pretty slim. I would say, as a last resort, explain to them that they are not living up to your expectations and they are going into "time out" until they get a better attitude. I know this works with golf clubs and I believe @kitchener did that with his Stormrider 95's and it worked wonders.

Yeah, I might have to try that. On groomers they felt boring, really dissaponted in that sense. In the off piste sense, i was just hopeing they wouldnt kill me. They only way I could get them to feel decent was getting up to pretty high speeds (45+).
Where are your boots mounted with respect t.o the center line position? I seem to remember many like them slightly ahead. aRe they demo bindings?

No, they are not demo bindings. They are K15 bindings on the respective plate so I can adjust them. I was thinking about moving them forward. Does anyone have experience with forward binding mounts on MX78's?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
explain to them that they are not living up to your expectations and they are going into "time out" until they get a better attitude. I know this works with golf clubs and I believe @kitchener did that with his Stormrider 95's and it worked wonders.

I heard of a guy chopping up a pair of XC skis after a bad race. He brought his other skis out to witness the act, to teach them all a lesson.