• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

K2 Pinnacle 88

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Considering a pair of these. I found the following:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2017-k2-pinnacle-88.2017/

Seems like the assessment of these was pretty positive. Anyone else have any thoughts, particularly for the 2019 model?

Also trying to decide between 163 cm and 170 cm. I am on the east coast, 5'7", 165 lbs, advanced skier (by which I mean I am comfortable/maintain form on black terrain out west but am not as comfortable on double blacks).

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These ski short so err on the long side, the 170. There are a really nice playful ski that is still there when pushed but does note require your attention all the time. There has not been a change in construction of these skis since introduction.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the feedback. Talked with someone else who told me that she is 5'2" and skis the 163's, so it does sound like that would be a bit short for me.

Did you find the skis to be on the light side? My last trip out west I was on pair of Elan ripsticks and while I liked them I still felt they were a bit too light for my taste.

Thanks again!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Thanks for the feedback. Talked with someone else who told me that she is 5'2" and skis the 163's, so it does sound like that would be a bit short for me.

Did you find the skis to be on the light side? My last trip out west I was on pair of Elan ripsticks and while I liked them I still felt they were a bit too light for my taste.

Thanks again!
I don't find them particularly light. How do you ski on the east coast? The reason I ask, is the Pinnacle 88 do fine on firm, but they have more of a soft snow bias.

I have a pair and love them, but I'd say their one weakness versus other skis I like/own is that they can be overpowered at high speed on firm groomers (although I'm a bit heavier than you). Really nice playful and forgiving ski that still has solid performance for an advanced skier. The caveat that if you like to spend most of your time on the east coast ripping gs turns on groomers/firm conditions there would be better choices. But if you're in the bumps a lot back east and want a nice all around all mountain ski, I think you'd enjoy it in a 170.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Great, sounds good! At some point, I would like to own a pair of GS skis for the east coast firm groomers but right now a good all mountain ski is exactly what I am looking for.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great, sounds good! At some point, I would like to own a pair of GS skis for the east coast firm groomers but right now a good all mountain ski is exactly what I am looking for.
After getting a pair of cheater GS skis a few years ago, I'd like to try a more playful all mtn ski than my current setup and with a shorter turn radius. Not sure what that is for the K2s, but I think would overpower them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After getting a pair of cheater GS skis a few years ago, I'd like to try a more playful all mtn ski than my current setup and with a shorter turn radius. Not sure what that is for the K2s, but I think would overpower them.
@Doug Briggs has been skiing a pair as a daily driver..and has been enjoying them...he is a pretty good skier with a strong bckground. These skis are deceptively easy but still can run when asked of them.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs has been skiing a pair as a daily driver..and has been enjoying them...he is a pretty good skier with a strong bckground. These skis are deceptively easy but still can run when asked of them.

Yup. I like mine a lot. They can deal with hard snow, 3D snow and everything in between. Really nice skis. I have lots of skis to choose from and they have the most days of any, right up there with my Ranger 98s.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are being replaced by the Mindbender this coming season? Can anyone comment on the differences?
The only similarity is that the both say K2 on them and are offered in the same length.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just picked up a pair of the 170s. Question, though - when I line them up against an older pair of 170s I have from another brand (rossi) it appears the K2s are an inch or so longer. Any way this can be true?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just picked up a pair of the 170s. Question, though - when I line them up against an older pair of 170s I have from another brand (rossi) it appears the K2s are an inch or so longer. Any way this can be true?
The metric system is a subjective unit of measurement. ;).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug, In the way back different manufacturers used to measure in 'base length' or 'cord length'. Do they still and which does what?
Some do, some don't, some vary from model line to model line.

TS
wgo

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
So the Pinnacle measures long but skis short? My head hurts...

I guess now that I see that they look a bit long I am wondering if the 163 would have been better for the bumps. Not that I get to spend a ton of time in the bumps while in the Mid-Atlantic.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So the Pinnacle measures long but skis short? My head hurts...

I guess now that I see that they look a bit long I am wondering if the 163 would have been better for the bumps. Not that I get to spend a ton of time in the bumps while in the Mid-Atlantic.
You are fine.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
These ski short so err on the long side, the 170. There are a really nice playful ski that is still there when pushed but does note require your attention all the time. There has not been a change in construction of these skis since introduction.

They did stiffen these up for the 2018-2019 model year. Was told this by the rep and their website also says this .

"We beefed up the Fir/Aspen Konic core this year adding even more stability and edge grip while keeping the ski extremely maneuverable thanks to our All-Terrain rocker camber profile"

Sponsor

Staff online