• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 12.12.43 PM.png
There is no question that K2 has shifted gears over the past few years with new designers, new skis, and a new attitude. We have also seen a shift at Liberty with brand new collections, including the Evolv 100 featured here. Why did I choose these two to go against each other? First, they are both class leaders for this season; second, their dimensions are just a millimeter apart in tip, waist, and tail, yet they ski differently.

I was able to get on the Mindbender 99Ti way back in December 2017 and immediately agreed with K2’s designers that they had succeeded in producing the reference ski in the highly contested 98-100mm category. How did they do it? They worked with a construction (Y-beam) that allows a strong entry into the turn and a supple tail that lets the ski release easily. Two other things elevate the performance of the new Mindbender: tip shape and weight. The tip makes the ski enter the turn better than any other ski in this class, and where many brands are jumping on the lightness bandwagon, the new K2 is one of the heavier skis in the class; to quote Boris the Blade, “Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.” The girth of the Mindbender 99Ti is extremely stable in crud.

In combining the Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) from its V-Series with its playful Origin shape, Liberty has created a class-leading ski. It may not be as much of a household name as K2, but Liberty is producing world-class skis, and the Evolv 100 is definitely one of them. Liberty’s VMT construction does wonders in keeping a ski planted to the snow, and the mix of poplar and bamboo creates a powerful core. Like the Mindbender, it is not the lightest ski offered -- do you see a trend here?
  • Why choose the Mindbender 99Ti? You bleed red, white, and K2; this is the ski you were promised for 15 years, and it is worth the wait.
  • Why choose the Evolv 100? You have a bit of rebel in you. No worries, you can still be a nonconformist with the Liberty, but not at the cost of performance. The Evolv is a no-compromise ski that is a viable alternative to the mainstream.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, interesting match up, and I’m still not sure in what ways they “ski differently.” Could you elaborate on that?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know it's early days for Cage Matches, but I'd love to see MB99 vs. Enforcer 100.

Outgoing reference 100 vs. New Kid On The Block?

My E100s will have earned retirement to rock ski duty by the end of this season!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
OK, interesting match up, and I’m still not sure in what ways they “ski differently.” Could you elaborate on that?

David, the evolve has less tip rise. The tip hooks up a bit more precisely on the front side, and with none of the divey hookiness of the old rossi experience 89 and 100's. Why mention the latter? Because at the risk of repeating myself, the Evolve 100 is the ski the Experience 100 should have evolved into. The MB 99 isn't quite as 'accurate' feeling on piste, but is a really fun off piste ski, especially in big funky mankoliscious spring bumps. Both are stronger, more torsionally rigid feeling than their 90mm brethren.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
the Evolv is really a charger but is not a brute and can be worked. it has better snow feel and is more responsive (not hooky as stated above) it has a more lively feel IMHO

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do they compare off-piste?
I would say the Evolv, because of the little more gradual tip shape. Both are really good.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Phil, You bring the Evolv 100 into the mix right after I became super stoked to ski the MB 99ti. Oh the perplexities of life!! What is your preference?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, You bring the Evolv 100 into the mix right after I became super stoked to ski the MB 99ti. Oh the perplexities of life!! What is your preference?

Yes, a tester can have a preference for him/herself, I would be disingenuous if I didn't.

I guess I must be the only one who everytime he sees the name thinks , mate of Jacko's, the spoonbender

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uri_Geller

I still think that the K2 guys raided Line Skis file cabinet for the Mindbender name. The Line Mindbender has a much more fluid ring to it.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, a tester can have a preference for him/herself, I would be disingenuous if I didn't.

Phil, Your preference between the two would be?

I still think that the K2 guys raided Line Skis file cabinet for the Mindbender name. The Line Mindbender has a much more fluid ring to it.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both are in my shop. I like the gradual shape of the Evolv better. Putting them side by side, I was surprised at the width of the K2’s tip. Maybe the tapered tail makes the tip look wider than it is.

I haven’t skied either, and if I had to just pick one, it would be the Evolv.

Others would pick the K2.

That’s why there isn’t a “better” here, each person’s version of “better” is different.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Phil, What would your preference between the two be?

I don't think he's going to tell you. :roflmao:

An industry tester's job is to figure out the audience for a particular ski. Their personal preference really isn't germane as they aren't you, and you aren't them. Also remember that Phil (and yours truly) were about the only two people on earth that liked the NRGY 100.... :roflmao:

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier

An industry tester's job is to figure out the audience for a particular ski. Their personal preference really isn't germane as they aren't you, and you aren't them. Also remember that Phil (and yours truly) were about the only two people on earth that liked the NRGY 100.... :roflmao:

Thanks for letting me know that you think Phil will not answer my question. I fully understand how reviews work. The reason I asked him for his preference is because after having followed his reviews for years I have come to the conclusion that our preferences in gear are similar. Let me ask the same question for Phil in a different way. Phil, which ski do you think (based on what you know of me) I would prefer? Feel free to PM the answer to me if you choose.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for letting me know that you think Phil will not answer my question. I fully understand how reviews work. The reason I asked him for his preference is because after having followed his reviews for years I have come to the conclusion that our preferences in gear are similar. Let me ask the same question for Phil in a different way. Phil, which ski do you think (based on what you know of me) I would prefer? Feel free to PM the answer to me if you choose.

I am neither Phil nor Mark, but I have skied both the Evolv 100 (179) and MB 99 (177) (back to back) and I am happy to share my preferences. The short answer is that I liked both and would take a pair of either. Given the choice, I prefer the Evolv 100. It has a has a nice smooth snow feel, round flex and plenty of power. The MB 99 is solid, the best K2 I've tried in years. It is quick, damp and strong. But the Evolv feels a bit more "analog" to me - more of a classic metal laminate feel. The tip of the MB probably pulls into the turn more directly, while the Evolv feels more smooth in and out of the turn.

Both skied great in soft spring slop, slicing and dicing, no deflection. To me, the Evolv just felt like a smoother platform.

If you liked the OG Bonafide but wished it had been a bit more connected on firm snow in and out of the turn (once you got past the shock of a 98 being so solid on groomers), you'd really like the Evolv. Or as Mark says, it is a more versatile version of the old Rossi Exp 98. The MB, to me, feels like a much better implementation of the old Atomic Ritual (a ski I wanted to like more than I liked it). Maybe the MB is a tad quicker thanks to the tip shape and marginally tighter turn radius, but Evolv just felt more natural (maybe a bit more traditional) in how it entered and exited the turn.

Both are really good skis. If you are a solid skier and you prefer stronger, more damp all mountain skis, I think you would probably enjoy either.

Hope that helps a bit.

[All mountain skis that I have liked: OG Bonafide (180), OG Cochise (185), Solly QLab (183), Kastle BMX 105 HP (181), Monster 88(177), Liberty VMT 92 (179)]

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To me, the Evolv just felt like a smoother platform.

I only tried the 90, but absolutely, that build has a superb feel on the snow.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am neither Phil nor Mark, but I have skied both the Evolv 100 (179) and MB 99 (177) (back to back) and I am happy to share my preferences. The short answer is that I liked both and would take a pair of either. Given the choice, I prefer the Evolv 100. It has a has a nice smooth snow feel, round flex and plenty of power. The MB 99 is solid, the best K2 I've tried in years. It is quick, damp and strong. But the Evolv feels a bit more "analog" to me - more of a classic metal laminate feel. The tip of the MB probably pulls into the turn more directly, while the Evolv feels more smooth in and out of the turn.

Both skied great in soft spring slop, slicing and dicing, no deflection. To me, the Evolv just felt like a smoother platform.

If you liked the OG Bonafide but wished it had been a bit more connected on firm snow in and out of the turn (once you got past the shock of a 98 being so solid on groomers), you'd really like the Evolv. Or as Mark says, it is a more versatile version of the old Rossi Exp 98. The MB, to me, feels like a much better implementation of the old Atomic Ritual (a ski I wanted to like more than I liked it). Maybe the MB is a tad quicker thanks to the tip shape and marginally tighter turn radius, but Evolv just felt more natural (maybe a bit more traditional) in how it entered and exited the turn.

Both are really good skis. If you are a solid skier and you prefer stronger, more damp all mountain skis, I think you would probably enjoy either.

Hope that helps a bit.

[All mountain skis that I have liked: OG Bonafide (180), OG Cochise (185), Solly QLab (183), Kastle BMX 105 HP (181), Monster 88(177), Liberty VMT 92 (179)]
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I have the Cochise, BMX 108 and had the Bonafide that was a bit too long for me.

Sponsor