Featured Comparison Review K2 Mindbender 99Ti vs Liberty Evolv 100

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews and Comparisons' started by Philpug, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 12.12.43 PM.png
    There is no question that K2 has shifted gears over the past few years with new designers, new skis, and a new attitude. We have also seen a shift at Liberty with brand new collections, including the Evolv 100 featured here. Why did I choose these two to go against each other? First, they are both class leaders for this season; second, their dimensions are just a millimeter apart in tip, waist, and tail, yet they ski differently.

I was able to get on the Mindbender 99Ti way back in December 2017 and immediately agreed with K2’s designers that they had succeeded in producing the reference ski in the highly contested 98-100mm category. How did they do it? They worked with a construction (Y-beam) that allows a strong entry into the turn and a supple tail that lets the ski release easily. Two other things elevate the performance of the new Mindbender: tip shape and weight. The tip makes the ski enter the turn better than any other ski in this class, and where many brands are jumping on the lightness bandwagon, the new K2 is one of the heavier skis in the class; to quote Boris the Blade, “Heavy is good, heavy is reliable.” The girth of the Mindbender 99Ti is extremely stable in crud.

In combining the Vertical Metal Technology (VMT) from its V-Series with its playful Origin shape, Liberty has created a class-leading ski. It may not be as much of a household name as K2, but Liberty is producing world-class skis, and the Evolv 100 is definitely one of them. Liberty’s VMT construction does wonders in keeping a ski planted to the snow, and the mix of poplar and bamboo creates a powerful core. Like the Mindbender, it is not the lightest ski offered -- do you see a trend here?
    • Why choose the Mindbender 99Ti? You bleed red, white, and K2; this is the ski you were promised for 15 years, and it is worth the wait.
    • Why choose the Evolv 100? You have a bit of rebel in you. No worries, you can still be a nonconformist with the Liberty, but not at the cost of performance. The Evolv is a no-compromise ski that is a viable alternative to the mainstream.

2. David Chaus

David Chaus If I am skiing the world is a perfect place. Skier

OK, interesting match up, and I’m still not sure in what ways they “ski differently.” Could you elaborate on that?

3. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

I know it's early days for Cage Matches, but I'd love to see MB99 vs. Enforcer 100.

Outgoing reference 100 vs. New Kid On The Block?

My E100s will have earned retirement to rock ski duty by the end of this season!

4. markojp

markojp mtn rep for the gear on my feet Industry Insider Instructor

David, the evolve has less tip rise. The tip hooks up a bit more precisely on the front side, and with none of the divey hookiness of the old rossi experience 89 and 100's. Why mention the latter? Because at the risk of repeating myself, the Evolve 100 is the ski the Experience 100 should have evolved into. The MB 99 isn't quite as 'accurate' feeling on piste, but is a really fun off piste ski, especially in big funky mankoliscious spring bumps. Both are stronger, more torsionally rigid feeling than their 90mm brethren.

ski otter 2, LewyM, jmeb and 2 others like this.
  5. Ron

Ron AKA Captain Voltaren Pugski Ski Tester

the Evolv is really a charger but is not a brute and can be worked. it has better snow feel and is more responsive (not hooky as stated above) it has a more lively feel IMHO

David Chaus likes this.

6. MAB

MAB Booting up Skier

How do they compare off-piste?

7. Thread Starter
    TS
    Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

I would say the Evolv, because of the little more gradual tip shape. Both are really good.