• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review K2 Mindbender 90ti vs 99ti

RobF91

Booting up
Skier
Who has skied both and care to comment first hand differences?

Mostly front-mountain skiing. Primary trips are out West with some smaller ski trips to WV, NY built in

Curious how the 99 handles front-mountain, not super hard-charging skiing, compared to the 90.

thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Mostly front-mountain skiing. Primary trips are out West with some smaller ski trips to WV, NY built in

Curious how the 99 handles front-mountain, not super hard-charging skiing, compared to the 90.

thanks!
10% wider is the difference. I really like the turn in of the 99 and it as good of a hard snow ski as you can expect a 99 to be.

TS
R

RobF91

Booting up
Skier
10% wider is the difference. I really like the turn in of the 99 and it as good of a hard snow ski as you can expect a 99 to be.
Would you say a 9cm difference plays a huge impact for someone learning to ski again after 15ish years snowboarding?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would you say a 9cm difference plays a huge impact for someone learning to ski again after 15ish years snowboarding?
Lean to the one for the condtions you will mostly ski verses the ones you hope to ski ... that being probably the 90

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
This season I have returned to K2 I am glad I have as they have a fantastic product! After skiing salomons for the last few years I . I am Advanced 58yr old and depending on conditions here in the east I ski both the Disruption and the Mindbender.I have both the 90 and 99 and both are great skis. The 90 is more lively and takes care of the rider. It is a nice ski to ski hard and even relax on. A ski that will not punish you for mistakes and responds extremely well with a wide band of performance. The 99 is cut from the same cloth and is very similar but provides more stability in chop and piles and loves to be driven fast. It is not as forgiving as the 90 but it is close to it. K2 has always had a level of forgiveness in their skis.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I demoed both in 18x lengths, and got the MB 99s, in 186. Still have it.

For me, the MB 90 in that length didn't happen to flex smoothly for me, but instead concentrated pressure in one forward area, instead of flexing smoothly tip to tail. Not for me, for that reason.

(I've since discovered I really like this ski in 179, a shorter length, where somehow it flexes more evenly, and would be great for me also. More of a true all mountain ski, seems like.)

The MB 99/186, on the other hand, is really great in crud., slush and soft snow, for me. And it charges there when that's wanted.

I prefer other skis of that width on groomers, or on most steeps; but with 2 to 4 or so inches of fresh on the ground, sure to turn to crud fairly quickly, I like the 99 all day long. It just cuts through the mustard in a great way.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I've demo'd both. Same day. I agree with @Philpug that for what you are describing, the 90 makes more sense. The 99 does tip into a turn well and it is a great crud buster, and one-ski quiver for all-mountain western skiing. But for "mostly front-mountain skiing" (which I interpret as "mostly groomed terrain") the 90 would be a better fit. The 90 had a bit lighter feel to me, it will be quicker edge to edge, but it is still pretty solid on groomers. I thought K2 did a good job with this collection. The 99 adds more off piste, bad snow focus. But you might not be asking for that. I think that the 90 likely suits your needs (travelling west, mid-Atlantic days trips) best.

Now the former snowboarder thing throws me for a loop . . . here's a goofy suggestion (you didn't ask for). . . the Nordica Soul Rider. Pick up a pair on close out now that Nordica announced it is being phased out for a new series. It has that playful element for exploiting natural terrain features (like you would on a board) and my buddy who is also a boarder loves it as his primary ski for PNW conditions. I have ridden it a few times, and I find it really fun and better on groomed terrain than it has any right being.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

thanks!

I demoed both the same day and the 90 was friendlier but still capable and less tiring. The 99 had more heft/mass and felt like it. That made it more damp and able to crush piles of snow at higher speeds better but was a handful in moguls and tighter terrain. Open slopes, no speed limit, the 99. for everything else the 90.

Sponsor

Staff online