P.S.A. K2 244 Mogul skis

Discussion in 'Phil's Garage Sale and Ski Swap' started by jack97, Aug 13, 2019.

1. jack97

jack97 Getting off the lift Skier

Great deal on 2020 K2 244 Mogul skis. Never skied them but from second hand sources, they are soft and skis very close to a Twister. IMO, it great for newbies who want to learn to ski a direct line in the bumps. The narrow shape forces you to learn how to use the front of the ski, to bite the snow which starts the turn. The softest makes it forgiving when you get in the backseat while a stiffer ski will make you jet out and lose control. Although I prefer a stiffer skis, I will still use a softer ski (Twister) in packed powder conditions, it feels to me that I can grab the snow at various region of the upcoming bump.

Link to the deal is below.

ttps://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-K2-244-Skis-153-163-173-S170307501/193044926117?hash=item2cf25fcea5:m:mYD9_rS9wPEW8o_LB3Yoa2Q

James likes this.
  2. EricG

EricG Waiting for snow! Skier

If someone wants those just reach out directly to @SkiEssentials since they are a forum sponsor.

Mendieta, Bad Bob and crgildart like this.
  3. silverback

silverback Getting on the lift Skier

Plus, you won't pay for shipping.

crgildart likes this.
  4. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

Meh, they only have up to 173 cm, and that's going to ski shorter. My 179 Cabrawlers have the same running length as my 170 cm iSuperShape WCs.

Great deal for ladies and groms though..

5. Philpug

Philpug Notorious P.U.G. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

IIRC, the 173 is the longest they came in.

6. Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot Vintage Gear Curator Industry Insider

Yup, that's as big as they went... mine were from 2011

K2 244 173cm.JPG

James likes this.
  7. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

8. Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot Vintage Gear Curator Industry Insider

Look again... you are seeing the top sheet of one and the base of the other!

9. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Yes indeed!

10. Philpug

The silver Pivots look better ;). Thanks @Wendy

IMG_6026.jpeg

11. Thread Starter
    TS
    jack97

Both sites have free shipping. They are the ones who have the Elan bloodline as well, again free shipping.

12. crgildart

To be fair, the Cabrawler 179 is nowhere near actually 179. Might even be the same ski..

13. SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials Slashing Turns and Prices Pugski Sponsor

We actually run that ebay account too. Pinnacle Ski and Sports is our brick and mortar shop here in Stowe and the ebay account has always been under that name.

If you're interested in a pair send me a DM!

14. Thread Starter
    TS
    jack97

The k2 244 is an old design. Back when competitors we're skiing them short for the air points. Modern mogul skis vendors have made them longer because the course has changed and judging is weighted for speed advantage. That said, the 244 is a great entry ski for moguls. I doubt newbies are going to top speed in a direct line. Their focus should be on technique not speed.

15. Philpug

Other than the Shaman, pretty much all of the moguls skis are old desings. When we were at the Freestyle WC in Deer Valley, I am not sure if we saw more than 2 pairs of 244's with the competitors. I would say 95% were IDone, and the rest were Rossignol, Hart and IDone. I think Volkl has even given up the discipline.

16. Thread Starter
    TS
    jack97

When I mean design, it also take into account the length and flex pattern. IDOne has a broader range of ski lengths and stiffness. lahtela won his wc and Olympic gold with air and speed points. It's no coincidence that he influenced the IDOne design to meet these requirements. In addition, rossignol's older mogul ski was a gs ski with the internal metal taken out. Their current mogul ski has a stiffer flex and a narrow dimension, more toward the IDOne dimension.

Lastly, travis cabal influenced the k2 design and he was known for his air, the number of tricks he can do after he popped the kicker. K2 has done very little in changing that ski when they transition from the cabrawler to the 244. Imo with the way the sport is going, the 244 will be used for developmental competitors but in order to compete at the highest level, a stiffer ski is needed to get the speed points.

17. Thread Starter
    TS
    jack97

I should also correct myself that rossignol recently introduced two mogul skis, the HERO & HERO ATHLETE. I can only find one size for the former at 158 cm (94/63/86) while the latter has 166 and 177 cm (92/63/81). Again, dimension wise it s different than the older mogul skis where the top sheet had the bond girl silhouette.

18. silverback

silverback Getting on the lift Skier

It was $75, they must have lowered it.

19. Don in Morrison

Don in Morrison I Ski Better on Retro Day Skier

I just pulled the trigger on some 153's from SkiEssentials. Not likely to get a price like that again soon.

20. crgildart

Gonna detune them for ballet?