• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Anybody have any thoughts about the MXs versus the Stickli Stormriders?

I have an MX89 in my quiver and a few people have told me I really need to try the Stormriders. Recent shop I was in that carried both really seemed to push Stockli over Kastle. Almost bought a SR95 demo on clearance at that shop but I already have a sizeable quiver and didn't want to buy on a whim.

Never demoed a Stockli and would like to get people's thoughts versus Kastle.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I have an MX89 in my quiver and a few people have told me I really need to try the Stormriders. Recent shop I was in that carried both really seemed to push Stockli over Kastle. Almost bought a SR95 demo on clearance at that shop but I already have a sizeable quiver and didn't want to buy on a whim.

There are numerous ones over at Cage Match Comparisions, check out the index.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

A lot of folks who are sort of getting skied by their Mx 89's would do better on a sr88.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
My take after extensive experience skiing Kastle skis, demoing Stockli quite a bit, and seeing a friend buy and ski a Stockli on my recommendation. To borrow a car metaphor, it's a difference between a Mercedes and a BMW. You buy a Mercedes is you want a car that rides like a vault and is still capable of sporty driving. You buy a BMW if you want a sporty car that is still capable of delivering that vault-like drive. So, essentially a matter of priorities.

Stocklis ski very refined, smooth and dare I say easy. The edge hold feels is at least a width increment down if not more, so the 105 holds like a 95 or even like an 88. Stormriders also ski a bit short for its size. Stockli does not particularly egg you on to go fast and is quite tolerant of lazy skiing, but it absolutely can go fast if you push it. My friends' skiing was instantly elevated by a level or two after he bought the SR95s, being confident in the edge hold and not being thrashed around would do it for you.

Kastle (at least the previous iterations) almost pushes you to ski aggressively, its a "ski me if you can" type of ski, but when you are on them, it's a bliss, and a ride unmatched by just about any skis. Most Kastle tolerate bad technique significantly less than most of the skis I have been on. MX also skis longer than its size. The MX series sizing has this weird quirk that if you fit one of the width, you will be between sizes on the adjacent models. That's the reason why I cannot ski the MX89, the 180 is a bit too short, and 188 is too long, but 184 MX99 feels perfect. It is the only ski that changes the lines that I ski, it is just so stable that it seems to modify the terrain under you, almost magically. It's also the only ski on which I was skiing 6-inch powder in the trees and was getting carving-level rebounds on every turn (if it even makes any sense). The current FX/HP skis very differently, and it is probably less versatile than Stormrider, FX is a better off-piste and chop/crud ski, but the Stormrider is a much better carver and still does great off-piste. As I said, I don't have on-snow experience on the new FX.

Having said that, I also think that if you already own the MX89, there is not a huge reason to get the MX99. Also, with the current Kastle direction, if you want a metal premium free ride ski and do not want to deal with the MX series energy levels, you may be limited to Stocklis anyway. But I would not hesitate to ski either brand anyway, everyday, they are really the pinnacle of the current premium ski segment (as much as I like Renoun, the versatility is a step below what those brands are offering). Of course, this is personal opinion.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
A lot of folks who are sort of getting skied by their Mx 89's would do better on a sr88.
I really like the MX89s although they are work in pow. Someone I met was going on about the SR95, how much better than they thought it was due to versatility. Stopped in a shop that sells both Kastle and Stockli and salesman told me the exact same thing. It really has me wondering as I've never tried Stockli.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I really like the MX89s although they are work in pow. Someone I met was going on about the SR95, how much better than they thought it was due to versatility. Stopped in a shop that sells both Kastle and Stockli and salesman told me the exact same thing. It really has me wondering as I've never tried Stockli.

I would be skeptical about these claims. You always gain something and lose something. You probably gain some versatility, but you lose some of the new power and excitement of the MX series. Both are great skis, just different, so you pick whatever rocks your boat. Right now I am very happy with the MX99 for most days and Kore117 for the fluffy days. On days when I want to relax and kick back, I take out the FX95HP, and it still runs circles around most other skis .

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll ask this question here as this thread has eyes-on.
I’ve been eyeing those MX 84 Limited 176 listed in Phil’s Garage.
I have some current model SR88 177 on the way from Dawgcatching.
I’m really visually smitten with those Limiteds. I did rent the previous Limiteds for a day while on a trip a few years ago and liked them. Would the Limiteds give me enough on-snow differentiation from the SR88 to warrant having both, just to mix it up from one day to another ?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ll ask this question here as this thread has eyes-on.
I’m really visually smitten with those Limiteds. I did rent the previous Limiteds for a day while on a trip a few years ago and liked them. Would the Limiteds give me enough on-snow differentiation from the SR88 to warrant having both, just to mix it up from one day to another ?
Absolutely. Using @Alexzn's MB/BMW analogy...The Limiteds are a BMW M5 wagon and the SR88 is a MB GLC300, sure they both haul in a multitde of ways but both do it very differently.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not what I wanted to hear, or maybe it was ...
Someone else hurry up and buy those Limiteds to save me from myself :beercheer:

James

Out There
Instructor
Not what I wanted to hear, or maybe it was ...
Someone else hurry up and buy those Limiteds to save me from myself :beercheer:
Sell the SR 88's, get tbe Mx84, and pick up one of the myriad of non Stockli 88's available.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've held off buying 1 or 2 new 95-105 for next season's trips.
The latest Kastle 96/106 and Stock 95/105 have really caught my attention. The place in Austria I will visit first ( St. Anton -> Sport Jennewein ) will surely have all of them in their fleet, so I will just rent and satisfy ALL curiosities for that week.

Dude. Dude. Just ... Dude.

You need some help ski testing, and I'm your man. I will even take the rejects off your hands at no charge.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and I could use a car. No worries if it's a year or two old. Doesn't have to be big. Just make sure it's, you know, from Germany.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Ah, the Kastle Limited. Gorgeous ski, will bring a smile on your face every time you look down on your feet on the lift. It's an MX84 with the carbon sheet (like the mx99 has), so one of the best wide carvers taken to the next level. Did I mention it's gorgeous? But if you have the SR88 it may be too much overlap. You will end up skiing one or the other most of the time and will.sell.the other ski.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No need to sell the SR88 … they are only skis and actually not priced that high when on sale.
I got NIW flat Laser SX for $700, and essentially new SR88 with Warden 13 demos for $800 from Dawgcatching/Scott. Are those not great bargains !?
Like Scott says, people complain about the high price of Stockli & Kastle, but when on sale, they are readily available at very palatable prices. We are only talking about $100-$200 more than a "mainstream" ski. I've had a lot of Kastle & Stockli over the years, but I always get them at a great sale price, ski them a bit, then move them for an acceptable loss, then repeat for the next iterations. I've come to realize that when I look at the total cost of my skiing or golf, the equipment is actually a cheaper part of the total cost of the hobby. And I derive great entertainment value trying new gear. It's the same with golf -> demoing a Driver is not the same as owning one and gaming it for 3-4 rounds before passing final judgement.

There are often great deals in Phil's Garage that go un-sold for weeks/months, then go on the be sold at eBay or other local BST sites. I've sold & netted more money selling skis on eBay than I do trying to sell at cheaper prices offered at Pugski, TGR, or former Epic forums. Funny, look how long this Kastle thread is or the Stockli Review thread is. You'd think with all the chatter/hype that it would be easy to re-sell a gently used set of skis from these premium brands in a forum with a ski-educated membership , but that is not the case in my experiences.

Also, me being in Canada, most every major ski brand is cheaper up here than in the USA, except for Kastle & Stockli due to very low amount of dealers. So when I can get deal from a USA dealer like Scott, or gently used in the BST, I'll readily jump on them.

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
No need to sell the SR88 … they are only skis and actually not priced that high when on sale.
I got NIW flat Laser SX for $700, and essentially new SR88 with Warden 13 demos for $800 from Dawgcatching/Scott. Are those not great bargains !?
Like Scott says, people complain about the high price of Stockli & Kastle, but when on sale, they are readily available at very palatable prices. We are only talking about $100-$200 more than a "mainstream" ski. I've had a lot of Kastle & Stockli over the years, but I always get them at a great sale price, ski them a bit, then move them for an acceptable loss, then repeat for the next iterations. I've come to realize that when I look at the total cost of my skiing or golf, the equipment is actually a cheaper part of the total cost of the hobby. And I derive great entertainment value trying new gear. It's the same with golf -> demoing a Driver is not the same as owning one and gaming it for 3-4 rounds before passing final judgement.

There are often great deals in Phil's Garage that go un-sold for weeks/months, then go on the be sold at eBay or other local BST sites. I've sold & netted more money selling skis on eBay than I do trying to sell at cheaper prices offered at Pugski, TGR, or former Epic forums. Funny, look how long this Kastle thread is or the Stockli Review thread is. You'd think with all the chatter/hype that it would be easy to re-sell a gently used set of skis from these premium brands in a forum with a ski-educated membership , but that is not the case in my experiences.

Also, me being in Canada, most every major ski brand is cheaper up here than in the USA, except for Kastle & Stockli due to very low amount of dealers. So when I can get deal from a USA dealer like Scott, or gently used in the BST, I'll readily jump on them.

Interesting points on eBay versus Phil's garage. I occasionally peruse Phil's garage and feel like people often try to charge MORE on Phil's garage than eBay hoping enthusiastic skiers will pay more. And then when they get no takers at Phil's they break down and go to eBay auction and ultimately sell them at a cheaper price, in quite a few cases substantially less than what they were asking on Phil's garage. In many cases I feel like they would have been much better off lowering the price on Phil's garage sale because they would save on the eBay fees versus the $25 Pugski donation. People who ask for a good price on Phil's seem to sell their skis quickly, and after eBay fees I don't think many would net a lot more on eBay.

These comments based on a dozen or so skis I have tracked on Phil's garage.

Sorry for thread drift but your comments on Phil's versus eBay got me going.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sell the SR 88's, get tbe Mx84, and pick up one of the myriad of non Stockli 88's available.

Going to drive the MX again in slush at the River tomorrow. Had to get some work done on them this week and now the spring structure is gone. Grrr. But now at least the heelpiece won't pull out. Don't ask. You know what a beast I am. LOL. Somehow I think I'll manage to have fun anyway.

I never skied the SR 88. Would like to. @KevinF has a set, as you know, but too long for me.

Meanwhile, thinking of posting a long term owner's review of the MX 84. Tldr, it's fabulous when it is, but the niche is narrower than some people have advertised.

Hope the back is healing up.

James

Out There
Instructor
People who ask for a good price on Phil's seem to sell their skis quickly, and after eBay fees I don't think many would net a lot more on eBa
Depends on how people are feeling, time of year, and these days shipping is more in the $60 range.
Some who don't sell much try to ask a lot.
Whether here or on epic, people generally like cheaper skis and greatly undervalue quality imo. An MX 84 that fell off a roof rack, got run over by a Camry, and then was patched up by the owner, could sell for $275. But a barely used limited edition ready to go ski for $650? It sits. Same with a Stockli here a while ago.
Likewise, high quality tunes, often well over $70 retail matter nothing to most.

Sponsor

Staff online