• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just pick the color you like best. Cool looking skis but what happened to blue?

Don't want to copy all the photos, here's the url https://www.powder7.com/ski-blog/2020-kastle-skis-preview/

IMG_8239.jpg

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I don't think so. the new FX collection from top to bottom is the best balanced collection they have offered.

Again I have not skied the line, so I have no reason to disagree with this statement. However the operating word in Phil's message is "balanced", and I still think that people who prized Kastle not for achieving "balance" but for providing the best "pedal to the metal" on-mountain tools will likely be disappointed. As the number of those people is small, the move is good business for Kastle.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've held off buying 1 or 2 new 95-105 for next season's trips.
The latest Kastle 96/106 and Stock 95/105 have really caught my attention. The place in Austria I will visit first ( St. Anton -> Sport Jennewein ) will surely have all of them in their fleet, so I will just rent and satisfy ALL curiosities for that week.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So ... for someone who thought the old FX84/94/104 series was a little too stiff in steep bumps, do you suppose I'd be likely to find the same with the new 96?

No. I think you'd like it.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Again I have not skied the line, so I have no reason to disagree with this statement. However the operating word in Phil's message is "balanced", and I still think that people who prized Kastle not for achieving "balance" but for providing the best "pedal to the metal" on-mountain tools will likely be disappointed. As the number of those people is small, the move is good business for Kastle.

For larger, stronger skiers, the FX 95 HP is not and never has been a 'pedal to the metal ' ski. Alex, you really just need to ski them before passing judgement. Green eggs and ham, man. Green eggs and ham.

:golfclap:

(Both the new mx99 and FX106 are good, strong skis, particularly the 99.)

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
For larger, stronger skiers, the FX 95 HP is not and never has been a 'pedal to the metal ' ski. Alex, you really just need to ski them before passing judgement. Green eggs and ham, man. Green eggs and ham.

:golfclap:

(Both the new mx99 and FX106 are good, strong skis, particularly the 99.)

I own both the fx95HP and the MX99. MX99 is definitely the "pedal to the metal" between the two ( love it!), but the fx95HP is no slouch either and you can ski it as fast as you can ( for the record, I'm 190+ lb and 6 ft, so a decently heavy dude). Yes I need to ski the new line, but so far I remain cautious. Kastle does have a history of defying expectations, for example MX99 is shockingly easy to ski given how stiff it is, so maybe they pulled the rabbit out of a hat again and made a soft ski that is a charger. Looking forward to a chance to take the new line on the snow at some point. I do have a friend who also hand-flexed the new line and immediately ordered a spare fx95HP.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yeah... in still looking for a VR17 new in the wrapper. :roflmao:

If you like 5 point skis, then by all means, buy up every 95hp you can find.

James

Out There
Instructor
FX 96 vs Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition cage match!

Aka, Udon Noodle Fest Eastern Europe Edition.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Should I feel insulted? :roflmao:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In terms of the 19/20 FX 106 HP (carbon) "petal to the metal" qualities, there were, for me, coincidentally perhaps, two other 19/20 skis I demoed at SIA that had a similar turn feel/shape/flex, as if from a similar lineage: the 19/20 K2 Mindbender 90 ti, and the unchanged(?) Head Kore 93. Partly a similar overall stiffness feel, perhaps. I was skiing all three in soft snow on the same runs, but the way these skis felt when pressured and carved felt similar, out of, for example, three dozen or so skis tried over the two days. If you've skied either of these two other skis, perhaps this will give a sense for the ride quality of the wider 106s, on groomers or less than 3-5" of powder, at least. (Not sure if this means they had a similar hand flex, necessarily, just the feel and shape of the flex and carve, skiing, felt similar.)

Other things about the way these skis felt were different: for example, at first I was surprised the FX 106s felt while skiing like they were made of a similar material, and similar sounding material, to the Rossignol 7 series (Soul and Super), or the Moment Bibby Pros, as if they were all made of the same fiberglass stuff, more or less, in spite of the carbon in the Kastles. (The other two 19/20 SIA skis had a feel and sound of different material, the Kores a feel and sound of carbon.)

Fortunately, maybe because of more stiffness than the 7s, it seemed the Kastle 106s busted through crud in a way that was not like the Rossi 7s, but much more like the Bibby Pros, many people's baseline for playful, fast crud-busting. For at least that short demo, those 106s seemed safe and stable at speed in crud, though not in the same "pedal to the metal" sort of way as other, stouter Kastles, or the fat Monsters are. (I'd have to be on the 106s in more conditions to be sure how good they are in crud.)

(The Kore 93s also have crud-busting chops, but obviously not in a traditional, "pedal to the metal" way either. It seemed I could charge the things happily, safely, just the same.)

That said, if I had more time on these than just a few demo runs, the wider 106 would probably be the one I'd want to ski in more serious crud or powder, but the Kore 93 might prove to be a strong second, especially in shallower conditions. Just from those few, casual runs at Copper, I tentatively liked the Kore 93 overall the best for now, the Kastle FX 106 (carbon) next, and was surprisingly more neutral on that narrower Mindbender that friends had recommended to me. (I often love fat K2 skis.)

I guess I'm maybe too quirky in my ski tastes to be a reliable source of info on the new FX 106 HP Kastle, but to me it is a neat ski, and a freeride ski, not like previous Kastles.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Oddly enough, I skied the 106 back to back with a 188 Soul 7. Very different... to me at least. No worries about any of this though. Very first worldly stuff.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's actually what I said, sorry for not being clearer: the materials initially felt and sounded similar (like some kind of fiber glass ski), but the skis, fortunately, skied completely differently.