• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Just something to watch to get the brain muscle going....

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
:thumb:
that's my goal this season...

...to find a ski suit in that color...
:roflmao:

Awesome skiing, as usual... hey, the time is approaching innit?

Great goal Now, all you need to do is get yourself sponsored by Onyone.

Anyone up for providing a MA on the technical differences between the Aussie twins?

TS
markojp

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
One's short, the other's tall. :roflmao:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
It appears to me that the guy in the gray suit has more internal rotation of the outside leg than the guy with the blue pants.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
It appears to me that the guy in the gray suit has more internal rotation of the outside leg than the guy with the blue pants.

If you mean here then well spotted. Although I wonder how much of that would be blue pants (RM) matching the timing and turn shape of gray suit (PL)?

L70pGv.gif

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
A couple of thoughts about Paul Lorenz' description:
--1:01...toppling the body across the skis. During the turn the ab oblique muscles are contracted on one side and the opposite back muscles are stretched from the angulation and counter. The release of these muscles helps "spring" the body across the skis as well as getting some pop from the skis' rebound. He's actually falling down hill from his skis and trusting his skis to catch up to him--which they always do. Upside down skiing--showing your ski bases to someone uphill from you when you edge early to big angles

--1:17...extension of the new outside leg. I feel it more as allowing the new outside ski to ski away from the body and the leg is gently extended to keep up with the ski. Never a push or thrust extension which might break the ski's grip on the snow.

--1:44...aligning my center of mass through my outside foot. i.e., as little weight as possible on the inside foot. A test for this is during the arc of the turn very quickly lift the tail of the inside ski off the snow, just a momentary tap, to confirm that the angulation is adequate.

--1:56...angulation from lifting the inside hip, not just curving the spine. The inside hip (& shoulder & arm) can be brought up and forward to combine angulation and counter.

--2:00...note that the inside foot is next to the outside knee. Legs very close together, inside foot pulled back close to that knee.

Getting the hip down to the snow isn't the goal. The goal is to create such edging angles such that the hip ends up down to the snow. Just trying to get the hip low can result in hip dumping where the skis' edging angles aren't maximized.

Paul vs. Reilly...it appears that Paul is making a deeper retraction which might result in quicker edge-to-edge. Hard to tell from videos on different slopes, different turn radius, etc.

TS
markojp

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
.... and Paul is shorter than Reilly, so the visual will always be a bit different. If we could measure the forces/angles on their skis in turns of equal radius, that would be pretty interesting.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Who's who? Or are they the same skier?

The one in the top clip is the guy in blue pants. The one in the bottom clip is the gray suited skier.

Mr. blue pants has a more upright torso and less leg flexion (femur to torso is my cue). The suit has a more forward lean of the torso and very high degree of flexion (femur to torso). The suit must do a lot of high amplitude crunches on his free time.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
The one in the top clip is the guy in blue pants. The one in the bottom clip is the gray suited skier.

Mr. blue pants has a more upright torso and less leg flexion (femur to torso is my cue). The suit has a more forward lean of the torso and very high degree of flexion (femur to torso). The suit must do a lot of high amplitude crunches on his free time.

Yep. The top one is smoother, and maintains snow contact during the transition.

The bottom one loses contact, and pivots the skis at this point.

Look at where in the turn show is coming off the skis.

And I'm wondering if less leg flexion is accurate, or it just seems that way because of the more upright torso.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The two ski so much alike, most differences are very subtle and having to do likely with differences in body structure and athletic ability rather than skill or technique, that they are in fact proof that skiing really well at a really high level can be learned and all those "everything goes" and "this is my style" thoughts are just hokey-pokey that get us nowhere... :eek:

We're all somewhere on the way from "here" to "there", caught between our desire to ski better and the awakening to the fact that it's not *that* easy... it may be *simple* but it sure ain't *easy*...

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid