• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
5FECC12F-41D4-4EB6-B7DE-4E25643EB563.jpeg

My old jumping skis from Clarkson College of Technology. I wasn’t much of a jumper compared to the Squareheads our betters at St.Lawrence used to import. Jimmy Carter era.

Share your pix, I’ve been editing....

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Those skis would be hilarious for a Ludicrous Longboards Day at any resort..

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Not drinking Rainer in Govvy? Seriously?

Clarkson Knights. No engineers up the road with the Larry's, so you had that going for you.
Friend of my kids' is the current ski coach. Great guy. They still train at Titus a fair amount. Good, strong, USCSA program. Fun. Know a few recent alums.

Friend of mine, Clarkson class of '73, is the dad of two USST skiers. Good skier himself.

Plus Cyrus.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Nice Jumpers, @Frankly . I jumped in High School. One of these days...

... I'll be in Steamboat a night they have public jumps. Given I live in Breck, I don't know why this hasn't happened yet.

You first!

Regular ski run or even terrain park jumping isn't so bad but those clodhoppers give me nightmares. But I never really had any training, I merely attempted to jump to fill out the team... I never jumped "up" because I was trying to go as slow and low as possible.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That is a classic! Piz Buin bib! I wonder how many people here even know what it was!

Great Bell helmet. I had a twin that I spray painted flat black.

Good looking SL for a young downhiller to be, too!

Great pic.

I am fortunate that an instructor and Fischer rep was an amateur photographer. Maybe also the newspaper photographer took some of the photos in my scrapbook.

More to come.

You first!

Regular ski run or even terrain park jumping isn't so bad but those clodhoppers give me nightmares. But I never really had any training, I merely attempted to jump to fill out the team... I never jumped "up" because I was trying to go as slow and low as possible.

I enjoyed it. It was the cross country I wasn't happy about. My coach wanted competitors for skimeister. I got nominated to take up two extra disciplines on top of GS and SL. In the end I'm glad for it, but not right away back then.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I enjoyed it. It was the cross country I wasn't happy about. My coach wanted competitors for skimeister. I got nominated to take up two extra disciplines on top of GS and SL. In the end I'm glad for it, but not right away back then.

Even though I am mesomorph I did OK with Nordic because we had a loop right outside my dorm and skiing beat studying so I trained everyday. And being near Lake Placid we had all that fancy new Olympic stuff (1980) like the slick new Adidas boots and bindings that replaced the old 3-pin gear. Not that I won XC races but I avoided last place.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My prep school coach was pretty old school, and the fact that my older brother had won a number of NCAA Carnival skimeisters did not help. I was seriously built for going downhill. After a season and a half of trying to make me into an XC runner he gave up! But he made me keep jumping, and I was not talented , nor so dedicated to it.

In college, my freshman year, three of our XC skiers came down with the flu, and I has one of two alpine guys who drew the short straw. First of all, I luckily fit into one of the guy's boots. Miracle. I broke a ski. And yep, I was not DFL. Third to last. I think I stayed away from Nordic skiing for 15 years!

About 15 years ago, our son's school sold some land, where there was an old 35M jump. They had a bunch of old jumping skis. A couple of the coaches thought it would be great fun to jump again. I declined. No boots. Good excuse. Ski season ended for two dads.
That's hard to do jumping. A lot of wrecks, few injuries.

Jumping in Steamboat, at Howelsen would be very nostalgic. I'll stick to watching!

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
Another classic starting with BOTH Parablocks and tip deflectors!

Great pic!

Thanks. I was willing to try anything to make me faster. Or cooler. Not sure I was either.

BTW -- they are Parablacks, but should have been called Parablocks !!

Sponsor

Staff online