• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

just assembled the e-bike

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
whee ha!
Cal's new bike 2.jpg

The hills are much flatter now!

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Fun aren’t they. :ogbiggrin:

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I've been out each afternoon for the past three days.
Off road is still snow and slippery (ice under grass )
Our roads (gravel/dirt) are wet, muddy and rutted.
A 12 mile loop with all the hills get's me back warmed up and out of breath.

Just what is wanted!
The conversion has already proven it's self. I would never go pedal through that muck without.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been out each afternoon for the past three days.
Off road is still snow and slippery (ice under grass )
Our roads (gravel/dirt) are wet, muddy and rutted.
A 12 mile loop with all the hills get's me back warmed up and out of breath.

Just what is wanted!
The conversion has already proven it's self. I would never go pedal through that muck without.
Maybe I missed it elsewhere. What are the details? A conversion, you say? Which one? How much effort to select, install, what are the battery options, why did you chose what you choose, etc?

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Paul

I looked into options for a couple of months.
Went with this outfit.
I liked the straight forward presentation. A bit more $ than some other sources, but I like to know there is a real person to talk to if I need something. So far, it's seemless. No Issues at all. (And Nicely packaged and shipped to boot ;-)

BBSHD mid motor with a big 48 V battery pack. The battery was about as costly as the motor kit. And so far, it appears I didn't need as much capacity. My butt gets sore before the battery shows discharge ;-)

It took me maybe 2 hours to "convert" my GT Richter 8. Steel frame . I did purchase the bottom bracket tools, so that was all a breeze. fiddling with grips, shifters levers and wires takes the lions share of the task.

Why? I'm getting too lazy to pedal our hills, and I don't consider walking a bike much fun.
Why a mid drive? More like a motor bike, It just makes sense to me.
The Bafong kits are well proven, reliable and parts are readily available if needed. I had considered a more basic (read higher power) motor/controller build, but thought I should see how I liked the e-bike before putting in all that time to fab brackets etc. Plus, the DIY path ALWAYS COSTS about double what you think it will. BTDT too many times ;-) The "kit" is the Kit, Only one charge on my cc.

I want to spend the $15 for a controller to PC interface cable so I can reprogram the controller. I didn't want to mess with settings until I had some experience. Since I can't leave things like that alone, I purposely didn't get the cable with the kit.

Also I'm looking at slightly larger tires for softer ride and flotation for our muddy forest conditions.
I'm running hybrid road/knob side tread now, they spin like crazy when it gets slippery.

Take a look at the BBSHD you might like to do something similar.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have a BBSHD conversion kit purchased through Luna Cycle, mounted on a Norco Big Foot(fat bike). I think it's 2 years old now. Admittedly, I don't ride it too often as I leave it at our remote property. When I do use it, I ride it hard.

The FSR I ride climbs over 4000ft over 7miles. I don't peddle and go full throttle the entire time. I use a 52V 13Ah battery and it is basically dead when I reach the top of the road, approx. 30 minutes.

To speak to the BBSHD's build quality, It's stamped at "750watts" If I remember correctly it's designed for a 20amp controller and 36v battery = 720watts.
The 48v battery brings it up to 1000watts.
The luna kit uses a 30amp controller, with the 52V battery = 1560watts. The battery fully charged is actually 58.8watts so continuous power with a fully charged battery is 1764watts.

Luna offers a 50amp controller if you buy a built bike that puts out over 2500watts from the BBSHD.

I've never had a problem with it, or had it overheat even though my controller, battery, and riding style are pushing the motor hard.

I ride down the road and hit all the jumps (water bars mostly) as if I was on my proper bike. Which resulted in lots of flats initially, as I suspect the additional weight and lack of suspension puts more stress on tubes. I run max pressure now(60psi) and try to be a little softer with it, especially when riding though loose jagged rocks.

The motor and battery have been rock solid. The install was easy. I was skeptical of the hydraulic brake sensors but they have been a bit finicky but no real issues.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Just got back in from a ride. Cooling off in front of the screen ;-)

At 33 degrees and muddy, I likely would not have gone out on one of my straight bikes.
Coming into the house, I mentioned to my wife that the d$^&! electric motor just makes me go faster in the slow spots.
That's good I suppose, but my wrists are taking a beating from the pot holes ;-)

I don't run brake cut-off switches. No issues so far. I can feel the power assist drop out in less than 1/2 second after pedaling is stopped.

I thought I would "motor" more, but find I'm much more comfortable pedaling than just riding.
The battery lasts a long time too.....

Go figure.

Sponsor

Staff online