• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Junior Ski Advice Needed

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I am looking to get my 12 year old son a new pair of skis. He is a solid intermediate/early advanced skier. We ski locally in the Mid Atlantic area with a trip to VT or out west once a year. He has been skiing since he was 3 years old and is fairly aggressive.

He is 5 feet tall and weighs 108lbs (built like a short linebacker). He will be skiing in a 25.5 four buckle Jr Boot this year.

Last year he skied on a pair of Nordica 130 jr skis. Most of the Jr skis that he has used throughout the years have all had 68mm waists.

What I am looking for is a slightly more robust jr ski with a mid 70s waist and in the 135-140 length.What options do I have?

One ski that I have looked at is: https://www.blizzardsports.com/products/rustler-twin-jrfdt-jr7-wb/

View media item 2914View media item 2913View media item 2912View media item 2911

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure about the skis, but my kid weighs less and after asking here I got him attack 11 bindings rather than the kid ones. I guess it's more for the big boot and composition than his weight. 11 din is overkill but it's hard to find 9 or 10 din bindings on sale.

KeystoneGulch

Booting up
Skier
A little wider than what you asked for at 85mm under foot, but my son has been skiing Atomic Punx Jr skis for 6 years. Just moved up in size every other year. 140 & 150 are 85mm under for. The 130’s are 80mm under foot. Twin tip, good all around the mountain and in the terrain park. Great option to consider.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
If you want more options. I think he is big enough for women's adult skis. Kids skis are fine though and sometimes cheaper. Maybe his last year on them though. :). Some kids skis are stiffer than many women's skis.

Is he in lessons (or a team/program)? Does he ski in the park?

When mine was 12 and similar sized, his free-skis were 148 Gotama Jrs. He told me he thought they were "short but fun". He took out my wife's 165 Praxis Protests on a couple deep days and they worked well. For width, I think you are on the right track going narrower for where you skiing.

Fwiw, at 12 mine was on cut down 110 flex boots and his SL skis were 150cm and 170cm for GS.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
A little wider than what you asked for at 85mm under foot, but my son has been skiing Atomic Punx Jr skis for 6 years. Just moved up in size every other year. 140 & 150 are 85mm under for. The 130’s are 80mm under foot. Twin tip, good all around the mountain and in the terrain park. Great option to consider.

I'll second that recommendation. My daughters have been on the Century Girl (girly color version of the Punx Jr) for two years. They are really durable - after about 60 ski days they still look good. Although they have a foam core they've held up to small drops, steep chutes filled with crud and groomer zoomers at 50+ mph.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't really have the skiing background to give advice but have had to muddle with the ski issue for 4 kids as they go through that age and weight range on the East coast. I'd go with @silverback's advice, mainly because of where you ski. Stay narrow, consider upgrading to a light adult ski, they often have list prices around $500 but can commonly be found under $300 with adult bindings. For example, the Rossignol Experience 75 is available from 144cm, Fischer has a 71mm PRO MTN which is available from 140cm. Would not go below 144cm. Level Nine Sports has last season's versions of both these for under $300,

Sponsor

Staff online