• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Junior race ski brands

Spiritchaser

Booting up
Skier
I’m looking for GS skis for my son who will be going in to his first year of U12 next year

Are there any particular concerns I should watch out for with regard to one brand of ski or another?

I’ve had Head suggested to me, is there anything wrong with atomic?

any other things I should worry about?

thanks for any advice!

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Most of the major brands have great skis. Many of the local kids where I'm currently living love to exchange skis with each other for a run or two when not skiing gates. Within one team of 8 kids we have Rossignol, Head, Atomic, and Hart. The major brands all have good skis to provide a good base to build technique upon.
Be sure to double check for any equipment rules or limitations for races. Other than that, don't overthink it too much.
One of my students chose a ski based on the top sheet. He loved to look at that ski so he skied the crap out of it, almost qualified for the international NASTAR races at Whistler.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good skis made by all the brands for that age.
There are some differences between them but really depends on your athlete and how they ski (and if they would even notice any differences other than color)

Rossi/Dynastar have pretty much no metal in their GS skis until the 165 size. Heads are softer than everybody thinks, Blizzard/Noridica makes a good ski that even the strongest kids can hammer on, Fischer is solid again these days, Volkl might be a touch stiffer than expected, etc.

Don't overthink, ideally there is a race ski demo to test them out and see what works/fein U14els best. The more critical time will be U14 as each brand transitions to the adult ski/plates at different lengths.....and to make it more confusing what worked as a junior ski might not work for the next step. (for my daughter that was Blizzard in the jr. ski but now in Rossi for the tweener/adult ones)

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Agree with everything said, and will just add that the most meaningful difference we’ve seen between brands is the flex, so if your sizing GS skis long enough, meaning >head height or more, match the stiffness to the athlete. My son is roughly the same age, and fairly light, and Head and Fischer seem to be the softest in the 140-150 size range in GS, so that’s what he’s had the past couple seasons. Hope this helps.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January