• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Julien Absalon running a dropper at an World Cup XCO

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
With Nino continuing to beat long time cross country world cup pro Julien Absalon especially on the downhills and technical section. Julien is going to be one of the first potential winners of a WC XCO to run a dropper. As I have been saying for years droppers are faster on any course where you need to handle a bike well on anything that is not flat and straight.

IMG_6069-e1461289773682.jpg

If Julien starts winning races with this setup my very educated guess is that entire field will run them by the end of next year.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
<3 my dropper.

It makes a lot of sense.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Hasn't Kulhavey been using a dropper for a few years already? Of course being approved by Julien Absalon is like being Marcel Hirscher approved.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I can not find a single picture of Kulhavey running a dropper on an XC race bike.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
If he starts winning with that dropper, I'm very interested to see where manufacturers go with the technology. I assume we'll start seeing lighter, more reliable and durable droppers if they hit the WC XC circuit. Currently it seems like they're a sort of niche product in racing, with the only real dropper presence at enduro races, which is basically the redheaded stepchild of professional cycling.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
If he starts winning with that dropper, I'm very interested to see where manufacturers go with the technology. I assume we'll start seeing lighter, more reliable and durable droppers if they hit the WC XC circuit. Currently it seems like they're a sort of niche product in racing, with the only real dropper presence at enduro races, which is basically the redheaded stepchild of professional cycling.

I think your understanding of World Cup racing is all messed up. They'll get lighter sure, but they'll get less reliable and way more expensive. Ever since the self-reliance rule went out, and tech zones came in the only thing that matters is lightness. Why bother with spending 50 grams on making it more reliable when you can just limp to the tech zone and grab another $15,000 bike?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Enduro is probably the closest thing to what most MTBer actually do. I for one only want to see lighter droppers if they are just as reliable and have as much drop as possible.

125mm of drop is not enough IMO. As bike frames catch on I think 175mm ish of drop will be the eventual norm for people of average height.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
lighter, more reliable and durable droppers

Lighter and more durable? That's not usually the way this stuff goes. There's a reason downhill rigs and their parts are so heavy.

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Yeah I wasn't thinking too much with that post. My dropper is barely a pound more than a decent Thomson post and just as durable, provided with reasonable maintenance. It's a moving part and needs some lovin' just like other moving parts.

And for racing, it seems that in the past few years the industry has turned on its head, with mass consumers leading the way for racing tech. Enduro racing and discs in road racing are two examples that come to mind.

Either way, it's interesting to see XC adopting tech that's nearly standard in enduro racing and everyday mountain biking.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Alright so Absalon was actually putting time into Nino on descents but a flat+plus his Di2 malfunctioning pretty much kept him out of first. Still finishing 3rd is the highest place for a dropper equipped bike in an WC XCO. Given no mechanicals he is going to force Nino to run a dropper eventually. Nino probably already knows this.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm slower with a dropper. Confirmed on trails I've been training on for decades.

Just saying. So Absalon's story:

Hey Julian, how about running our dropper this season?

I don't know, maybe. How much?

How does $X sound?

Make it 1.5 $X and you've got a deal, as long as it doesn't add over 150 grams to my bike.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
most people who are slower with a dropper take to much time to drop the post and do not make use of the extra range of motion when the post is down.

Think about if having more room to move around when you need it and still have your seat at roadie height to pedal how could you possibly be slower.

Tom K how are you at riding pump track? If you video riding pump track with your seat at normal height and then lower you will clearly see why you are not faster with a dropper post.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Julien just won on technical descent laden course with a 100mm dropper on this bike. first win by a dropper post equipped bike in World Cup XC history.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I bet he has never ridden anywhere with them.

Sponsor