• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JR GS skis vs adult SL for a teenager

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
Hello Braintrust of Pugski!

So one of my protégées in the ski school I work at is in the market for a new pair of planks to supplement his collection of park skis that the kids are all on nowadays, something that’ll serve him well for his level 3 exams.

He’s 15, and 5’5 120lbs soaking wet. He tried a pair of my Elan SLXs and he really liked them, however they’re a bit on the pricey-side for him, even with the CSIA hookups. Up here in Canada we can get previous years race stock relatively cheaply from Nordica/Blizzard, and I was wondering would it be doing him a disservice to steer him towards a JR GS ski instead? I don’t know enough about junior race skis to be able to say myself.

Thanks everyone!

James

Out There
Instructor
The 155/6 fis sl's are made for lighter skiers. As opposed to the 157/8's. It's not the length but construction.

What really is the question though?
Ps, 15 going for csia level 3??

TS
MattFromCanada

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
The 155/6 fis sl's are made for lighter skiers. As opposed to the 157/8's. It's not the length but construction.

What really is the question though?
Ps, 15 going for csia level 3??

I guess the question is what the main construction differences are between a JR FIS spec ski and an adult cheater?

And yes, it seems ridiculous I know. But I’ve seen 17-year old level 3 pass it on their first try, after a lifetime of ski lessons, so anything is possible I guess!

James

Out There
Instructor
What's your slx? Thought it was a sl.
Size?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I guess the question is what the main construction differences are between a JR FIS spec ski and an adult cheater?

And yes, it seems ridiculous I know. But I’ve seen 17-year old level 3 pass it on their first try, after a lifetime of ski lessons, so anything is possible I guess!

Junior skis tend to be softer in the shovel & overall flex. I’d go 155sl over a Jr Ski.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A 155cm slalom ski is designed for a 120lb adult skier. A 155 junior GS ski is designed for a 70-80lb (used at a point of reference) child.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A 155cm slalom ski is designed for a 120lb adult skier. A 155 junior GS ski is designed for a 70-80lb (used at a point of reference) child.
[Captain Obvious] SL skis are made to make SL radius turns (i.e. less than 13 m), and GS skis are made for making larger turns. [/Captain Obvious]

At 120 lbs he should be on shorter length adult skis, GS or SL would depend of what kind of turns he wants to make, high speed longer radius, or shorter radius at (relative to GS) lower speeds, or something in between.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
If he's going for L3, then he needs a ski that will do almost anything. Speed and bumps are part of the 3 program. So I would think the softer SL would be better. So maybe a softer flexing one than a full on race ski.

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
[Captain Obvious] SL skis are made to make SL radius turns (i.e. less than 13 m), and GS skis are made for making larger turns. [/Captain Obvious]

At 120 lbs he should be on shorter length adult skis, GS or SL would depend of what kind of turns he wants to make, high speed longer radius, or shorter radius at (relative to GS) lower speeds, or something in between.

What he said:

Here’s me (courtesy of @Alba Adventures) on a soft SL ski in end of season chop. I doubt you want a GS.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello Braintrust of Pugski!

So one of my protégées in the ski school I work at is in the market for a new pair of planks to supplement his collection of park skis that the kids are all on nowadays, something that’ll serve him well for his level 3 exams.

He’s 15, and 5’5 120lbs soaking wet. He tried a pair of my Elan SLXs and he really liked them, however they’re a bit on the pricey-side for him, even with the CSIA hookups. Up here in Canada we can get previous years race stock relatively cheaply from Nordica/Blizzard, and I was wondering would it be doing him a disservice to steer him towards a JR GS ski instead? I don’t know enough about junior race skis to be able to say myself.

Thanks everyone!

155 SL is women’s size. Could be a great choice if a SL is what you need/want.
As GS goes, depending on what type of skiing (gates?) perhaps a ”tweener”? They start at around 170 and go to 185ish in length and turn radius 23-27 metres depending on brand. These skis are the same construction as adult GS skis, just a little softer, shorter and shorter turning. They normally have a little less sturdy plate compared to adult FIS and bindings in the 15 DIN-area instead of 18. Outside of gates a masters GS ski might be a more versatile ski. Race skis are pretty single minded inmo. But hysterically fun if you’re in that mood.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reach out to @ScotsSkier and see what he can provide used.

Better deal, great skis, likely race prep’d and to top it off best advice of what he should be on.

That’s my 2 cents.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great advice above from PP and brain finch. He should NOT goof the junior GS. If he is at 5hat ability level it would be like a wet noodle. For what he is looking for the 155 slalom would work well. If he wants it slightly more verasatile, and he has the skill don’t discount the 157/158 slalom either. It has a bit more “ meat” to it and will give a bit more stability in longer radius turns when it is opened up.
For reference, I am at Mammoth this week for a USSSA coaching course and every participant is on a 165 FIS slalom

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Great advice above from PP and brain finch. He should NOT goof the junior GS. If he is at 5hat ability level it would be like a wet noodle. For what he is looking for the 155 slalom would work well. If he wants it slightly more verasatile, and he has the skill don’t discount the 157/158 slalom either. It has a bit more “ meat” to it and will give a bit more stability in longer radius turns when it is opened up.
For reference, I am at Mammoth this week for a USSSA coaching course and every participant is on a 165 FIS slalom

There might be a 3rd option, a shorter adult/woman's GS ski? Definitely not a junior ski of any kind for a 120 pound growing teen instructor hard charging advanced terrain and wanting to look good doing it. I skied woman's SL and GS skis when I was teaching back in high school. I was even lighter weight, probably just shy of 105 pounds at age 17. I skied a bump ski for teaching and a woman's length SL (190cm back then) for instructor clinics.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There might be a 3rd option, a shorter adult/woman's GS ski? Definitely not a junior ski of any kind for a 120 pound growing teen instructor hard charging advanced terrain and wanting to look good doing it. I skied woman's SL and GS skis when I was teaching back in high school. I was even lighter weight, probably just shy of 105 pounds at age 17. I skied a bump ski for teaching and a woman's length SL (190cm back then) for instructor clinics.
Correct, but a junior/super junior GS skki will be over 175cm and they are looking for a 155cm ski.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The adult ski is the way to go because he is not going to be 120 LBS for long.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t get too hung up on weight. It’s mainly ability and speed that will determine appropriate flex. At 15 he is physically at the same as a u16 racer, technique/strength perhaps on par but speed probably a little less (they ski with one goal, go as fast as possible in two runs). A U16 ski aka as a tweener in the longer sizes will be a great GS option. Lots of adults ski them in masters. Or a Masters GS ski. Womens GS might be an option too (they basically come in 188 ) r<30 (did I get the <> right?).

With that said. It really sounds like SL is the way to go for this exam (I do not know what it exactly is, they are different over here). Should be able to find a good 2:nd hand pair from local racers. If you had been over here, you’d essily be able to find a 1-2 season old pair for $300 incl. binding.

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Correct, but a junior/super junior GS skki will be over 175cm.

I’d steer clear of a short GS ski. My wife races on 176/181’s & then I snag em for myself. Even in 176cm / 23 meter, it needs real estate & speed to work.

We may have some women’s SLs to sell. PM if interested.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
+1 on the women's FIS SL.

My son just turned 15 and is about 130lbs. He and his team-mates have been on 157 FIS SL's for two years now. They can ski the whole mountain on them including slow drills to "way too fast".

Only the smallest 13 year olds (about 80-90lbs) were on less ski.

They ski 183/24 and 188/30 GS skis but when I see them free skiing them in bumps or tight terrain, they look like they have their hands full.

Oh... And be sure to stay in top of the tune.

Sponsor

Staff online