• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
The subject came up on a baseball forum, and I remember there was mention of a "Jim Lonborg clause" in last year's famous celebrity skiers thread that I started here. The clause is basically pro athletes are prohibited from certain risky activities while under contract.

I found an article on the ski injury that Jim had :

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=o_8FAAAAIBAJ&pg=6127,477398&hl=en

I have no idea how that link will show up in your viewer - it's a cut from the Gettysburg Times from December 26, 1967. I guess that was back when Heavenly had snow before Christmas. It says Jim was trying to execute a certain maneuver on skis.....

Oddly specific, yet unnamed, this maneuver. Wonder what Jim was trying? Wonder if he'd have gotten hurt with more modern equipment?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The 1967 Red Sox season was the first time I paid attention to baseball. My Dad was a Red Sox fan and I was too
Wile never a Red Sox, fan the "cardiac kids" of the 1967 season were amazing (as was Lonborg as a pitcher). The '67 sox were an example of a team that gelled for a season and was plagued by some key injuries. Anyone else have a Rico Petrocelli baseball glove in 1967?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wile never a Red Sox, fan the "cardiac kids" of the 1967 season were amazing (as was Lonborg as a pitcher). The '67 sox were an example of a team that gelled for a season and was plagued by some key injuries. Anyone else have a Rico Petrocelli baseball glove in 1967?

I had a Yaz glove. He was my favorite.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just read a couple reports on this 1967 accident, thanks to this thread, and I wondered...Hmmmmm, I wonder if we're giving this more attention today than it got back then.

The above referenced Boston Globe article aimed at Tom Brady is one such reason that this accident is relevant today.
Crazy, huh?

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn a Yaz glove? You must have been the envy of every kid in town! Yaz was one of the few from the '67 Sox that had a long career. When was the last time you heard the Yaz song?

I grew up in NJ - Yaz gloves where not wanted. ogwink We had to buy the glove in Massachusetts. I throw right and bat left, like Yaz, and when we played wiffle ball I used copy that crazy high bat hold he had at various points during his career. I was not allowed to do it in our little league games.:roflmao:
Thanks for the reminder of the Yaz song. I just listened to it.

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Running some gates, popped an ACL, huh? I was thinking maybe a helicopter (360) or a daffy, something freestyle.

Sponsor

Staff online