• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta JH Steep and Deep Camp Jan 2018

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I recently attended Jackson Hole’s Steep and Deep Camp. I am an advanced (but definitely not expert) skier who enjoys skiing the whole mountain and wanted to improve my off-piste and powder skills. I had skied Jackson before and always enjoyed the mountain, but was apprehensive about exploring the gnarly stuff by myself due to concerns about getting overterrained or cliffed out. As such, I felt the camp would be a great way to learn the mountain better as well as get some instruction along the way. Prior to the camp, I was definitely worried about being the worst skier there. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the camp caters to skiers of varying abilities (intermediate and above) and is very good about grouping skiers of similar skill levels (and swapping them around if need be).

The coaches are all PSIA level 3 instructors who really enjoy the kind of stuff JH is known for. They have all been at Jackson for several to many years and know the mountain’s nooks and crannies like the back of their hand. We rarely skied runs that are named on the trail map, but everything seemed to have some title recognizable to the locals. In addition, all of these folks can rip hard. Half the enjoyment of the camp was just watching the coaches shred the lines in front of you. Poetry in motion. I would describe the overall experience as a hybrid of guiding and instruction. At least in our group, it was a lot more skiing and a lot less talking. This was great, especially given the epic conditions that we had. Our instructor (who I will definitely be seeking out in the future) was great at giving us one or two items to focus on at any given time, and finding a great line to practice on. This instruction model worked really well for me.

This particular camp was sponsored by GoPro. I signed up for this camp mostly because the dates worked, but the GoPro aspect was a nice addition to the camp. GoPro sent three reps (whose jobs are to ski/surf/skate/bike/etc in epic locations and promote GoPro products-tough gig, right?) to get gear in our hands and teach us how to use it. They basically had optional sessions in the evening where they were available for questions about the equipment, software, and editing. They also skied with us all day, bouncing around from group to group filming and answering questions. They also had spare gear on them (batteries, sim cards, mounts, etc) if you needed it or wanted to try something. As a side note, these dudes could shred pretty hard and were great skiing companions outside of their corporate role.

Also skiing with us and bouncing around was JH Pro Andrew Whiteford. Just stick his name into youtube or vimeo if you’re not familiar. The video speaks for itself. He is a super chill dude with a great sense of humor, who also happens to be an AMAZING skier. We’d just be skiing along and he’d nail these sick lines you that didn’t even register as skiable. While he wasn’t the primary coach for anyone, he’d ski with each group for a half day or so and offer tips/tricks that I found really helpful for skiing gnarly off-piste stuff. Skiing with him was definitely a high watermark in my skiing career.

IMG_5808.JPG IMG_5427.jpg IMG_5830.JPG IMG_5838.JPG IMG_5850.JPG Just for reference, basic areas and named runs we skied included Rendezvous Bowl (front and backsides), Cheyenne Bowl, Wally World, Central Chute, Elephant Tree, Flip Point, Tower 3 Chute, Toilet Bowl, Alta Chutes, Paintbrush, Broken Goggle, Expert Chutes, Dick’s Ditch, Bernie’s Bowl, Bird in the Hand, Gannett, Headwall, Coombs, Riverton Bowl, North Colter Ridge, Anemometer, etc.

Day 1:
It was snowing pretty hard as we boarded the early tram at 8:15. Hung in Corbet’s Cabin for about 30 minutes, snagged a waffle. Mountain opened at 9:00. We were given a single warmup run down the Rendezvous Bowl (very low visibility, 40 mph winds, variable surfaces, but starting to accumulate fresh snow) to the top of Cheyenne Bowl. Coaches skied to the bottom and sent us down two by two (over a field of large but pretty soft bumps in Cheyenne Bowl) to be judged. This was the ski-off which determined our fate for the week. I skied OK (not an amazing bump skier) and was placed in group two (with group one being amazing shred-heads and group four having a really great attitude). My group of five (plus coach) became fast friends and turned out to have very similar attitudes, preferences, and ability levels. Very cohesive. We spent the day pretty much entirely on Sublette and Thunder chairs with one more tram ride after lunch in the Village (catered, in the Gabe Room of the Bridger Center). We skied a lot of bumps, trees, and (as it continued to dump) some fresh powder. No air on day one for us. We mostly did not ski on named runs, but rather in cool little stashes of powder and gnar to which our coach guided us expertly. We only hit the lower mountain (skied down Gros Ventre) to get back for lunch and at the end of the day. All of the expert lower mountain terrain was closed due to poor coverage (Hobacks, etc). Even with all the dumping up top, it was 35 degrees and raining in Teton Village. We had a nice little après-ski at The Spur with free apps and a free drink ticket and many additional non-free drinks. A great time was had by all.

Day 2:
Eight inches of fresh fluff up top in the morning, and continued to dump all day long. Boarded the early tram at 8:15. Up at Corbet’s Cabin just after 8:30 trying to stay warm in the 60 mph winds with blowing snow and very poor visibility. Due to wind and avalanche mitigation, the tram didn’t start running again and the mountain didn’t open until about 10:00. At that point we were released; a mad dash ensued to capitalize on all the freshies Ullr had to offer. Pretty deep powder (at least knee-high in spots), but a bit tricky as it was somewhat windblown and had a heavy crust layer with soft stuff underneath and hardpack underneath that. Definitely got some first tracks in a bunch of places. Sublette was initially closed, so we stuck to Thunder for most of the morning. Much of the same un-named terrain as Day 1, but with some new focus: powder and cliffs. Our guide was great about assessing our ability and willingness to take to the air, and did a great job selecting relatively non-threatening drops for us to warm up to the idea. We started out small and progressed a bit as the day went. We did some cliffs ranging from about 5-10 feet and progressed to having to clear rocks and do some mid-air redirection. Definitely put me a bit outside my comfort zone, but in a good way. Also started hitting some shorter chutes and straightlines. Lunch was provided at Spur from a prix-fixe menu. Very good. After the day was done, we had a GoPro guru session where we learned about the equipment, apps and editing. Not particularly helpful, but the GoPro guys were pretty great (and skied with us throughout the day) and very willing to give out tips and hand out equipment to try.

Day 3:
Woke up to 6 more inches of fresh pow and (close to) bluebird skies, though that turned to storm conditions by about 10:00, and it continued to dump all day long. Loaded the tram at 8:15 and headed to the Cabin to wait for the 9:00 bell. We skied the first half of the morning with a pro photographer who filmed us (for later analysis). Also joining us this morning was JH Pro Andrew Whiteford. He was just there to shred with us and offer tips on technique and tactics in the deep pow and on gnarly lines. Given all the fresh snow, we focused on riding pow and (again) a lot of bumps, trees, steeps, as well as some pretty narrow chutes and a few small cliffdrops. One of the groups dropped into Corbets (4/4 washed out and slid to the bottom), but we elected not to, as the entrance was still pretty sketchy. Lunch was catered at the Teton Mountain Lodge. Excellent. Back up the tram after lunch and a few quick runs on Sublette/Thunder before heading in a bit early to do motion analysis on our video from the morning. This was followed by a GoPro editing session which featured pizza and beer. A nice way to cap the day.

Day 4:
Dumped another 16” in the past 24 hours, and continued to snow hard all day long. Hopped on the 8:15 tram, but got stuck in Corbet’s Cabin (WAFFLE TIME!!!!) until they opened the mountain. We hit the fresh pow hard, doing more steeps/chutes/trees/bumps. We skied with the GoPro guys for a while and got some great footage. Catered lunch in the Bridger Center. Met up with our backcountry guide at lunch, but given the multiple avalanches that happened that morning, we did not leave the resort. Instead, we went up the tram, hiked the Headwall and skied off that for a while. We did spend some time doing avalanche safety training and general backcountry awareness stuff. A few runs on the lower faces opened (for the first time this year) in the later afternoon, so we hit those before calling it a day. That night, there was a rowdy banquet dinner at Nick Wilson’s with an open bar, buffet dinner, video presentation, and awards/prizes. Swag that was handed out included some goggles, helmets, hats, two GoPro cameras, a pair of Rossi Soul 7’s, and a voucher for a free Steep and Deep camp for next season. Total blast. Much merriment and many shot-skis of Jagermeister. Great send off.

Overall, this was the best four days of skiing I have ever done. Granted, we got a total of about 32” of snow during that time, but the course is just unbelievable. The whole staff was great; really easy to work with. Everything was really well organized, and there was good communication throughout. The value was incredible. The cost was $1250 without lift tickets or $1650 with. Lift tickets alone are $135/day at the window. Four full (and I mean FULL) days of guiding and instruction in a small group (5 skiers plus coach), four lunches, four après-ski get-togethers, professional videography with motion analysis, backcountry half day with additional guide and instruction, early trams (with first access to the fresh stuff), some free swag. Any way you slice it, it’s a lot for your money. I’d recommend this course to anyone who wants to expand their horizons, get off the groomers, and have a friggin’ blast. Go get some.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Great trip report, Beartown. A few questions:

Who was your instructor?
How many total in the entire class? 4 groups seems rather small. Kudos on being in group 2.
What was the GoPro model you were using on the day 4 video? Very nice image stabilization.
Did you win any best crash swag?
What was the best thing you learned all week? How has your confidence level in the steep stuff changed?

Looks like some sweet powder to plunder in the last few days. Too bad the Hobacks weren't open, but that's the way it goes. Glad you had fun, and hope your skiing has improved by leaps and bounds.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Great trip report, Beartown. A few questions:

Who was your instructor?
How many total in the entire class? 4 groups seems rather small. Kudos on being in group 2.
What was the GoPro model you were using on the day 4 video? Very nice image stabilization.
Did you win any best crash swag?
What was the best thing you learned all week? How has your confidence level in the steep stuff changed?

Looks like some sweet powder to plunder in the last few days. Too bad the Hobacks weren't open, but that's the way it goes. Glad you had fun, and hope your skiing has improved by leaps and bounds.

My instructor was Stephanie Schmitt. She was the bomb.

There were 30 total campers in six groups. I believe there were two "group 3's" and two "group 4's".

My day 4 footage was filmed using my own setup, which is a Hero 5 with a Karma Grip stabilizer mounted on my backpack strap. The setup is a bit awkward (and honestly probably a bit dangerous) because of the large club-shaped thing strapped right next to my chin, but the video quality is exceptional.

I took a few diggers, but nothing noteworthy. The group 1 guys all attempted Corbet's and had some memorable crash footage from that (nobody skied out of it). Those that went bigger obviously had bigger washouts, with excellent entertainment value.

Best stuff I got out of the week was an improved approach to drops (staying low and coiled, popping off the edge, leaning forward to match the landing pitch, etc) as well as good stuff about line selection through tight spaces (chutes/straightlines).

Obviously missed the Hobacks, but I skied those at high tide in fresh snow last season, so I was content with all the new terrain I was exposed to. Jackson has a whole lot of secret little nuggets to offer the well-informed (or well-guided)!

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Excellent Trip Report Bear. Brings back fond memories of my S&D camp six years ago. We also got snow several days, but nothing close to your 30+". I'd say our conditions were maybe 70% as epic as yours. That's one partial reason I haven't worked at getting back for another camp- with such great memories, I'd be really bummed if I got skunked on conditions. Good for you!

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the detailed report @Beartown! Sounds like you got a good chance to go "steep and deep" - I'm curious what your impressions were for the groups below you, assuming you talked to them. From your descriptions I suspect I wouldn't be in a group 1 or 2 (maybe?), so wondering if the experience is as good for those who aren't quite as skilled.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IIRC, I was in group 3 (seems like there is consistency year to year as we did not discuss nor do any air time) and my experience was every bit as engaging and comfort zone-pushing as Bear's.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I spoke with folks in all of the groups, and we also got to view highlight videos from each group at our end-of-camp banquet. My impression was that all the groups were challenged and seemed to enjoy their experience. As far as terrain, group one hit the gnarliest stuff (including Corbet's). In group two, we did a lot of smaller cliffs, chutes, straight lines, etc. Groups three and four seemed more focused on open pow, bumps and trees. Nobody was skiing groomers at any point. My group never rode a lift other than the tram/Sublette/Thunder. Groups three and four did hit Casper and Teton lifts, at least for some of the time, so their terrain was a little mellower. I think as long as you are an intermediate who can at least handle bumps in some fashion, you would have a great time and improve as a skier.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
P1030688.JPG Here's a photo from the ski off at the start of one of my Steep and Deep Camps.
Pro Tip - go first. Less time to get nervous, and then you can relax adn watch,

You can see the waiting skiers lined up at the top. The guy pointing at the bottom is telling that guy which group to go to.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Waiting at Corbett's cabin for the mountain to open.
P1030731.JPG
I think this is @aveski

P1030733.JPG

The year was 2012, by the way.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The last day was a powder day, so we junked the curriculum and hiked the headwall. We did not cover ourselves in glory. Doug hit a rock in the crux and lost a ski. [Teachable moment from MIke, our instructor: "when you see a big rock sticking up out of the snow, there is probably more of it under the snow. Stay in the middle."] Deborah was doing fine, but when the snow changed consistency at the bottom she blew up. I was getting face shots, so I purposely slashed my tails to throw up extra spray. Unfortunately, this was one of the years I was skiing without an ACL and my knee went out mid-slash. Boom!
P1030727.JPG

Fortunately our instructor had mad buried-ski-finding skills!

Sponsor

Staff online