• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Hoping they will still take CAD at par!!

I've never understood this. The price should be the price... or there should be the equivalent of gst/qst/hst added on.

I'll never forget being stuck behind a guy who bought lift tickets with a credit card and was furious he didn't get the "on par" rate. He wouldn't stop arguing the point... homie, the 15 year old girl that just sold you your ticket is not at fault and she can't change the rules to make up for your mistake. Move on.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've never understood this. The price should be the price... or there should be the equivalent of gst/qst/hst added on.

I'll never forget being stuck behind a guy who bought lift tickets with a credit card and was furious he didn't get the "on par" rate. He wouldn't stop arguing the point... homie, the 15 year old girl that just sold you your ticket is not at fault and she can't change the rules to make up for your mistake. Move on.
I mean, they're trying to steal business from Canadian resorts..I get that. But your point about the poor window girl is right on. I was doing some volunteer work once for the Toronto Marathon and some guy started giving it to a 14 year old volunteer about why he couldn't get his bag with his protein gels in it in 1 minute... So I interrupted him and told him to lock it up..so he started talking about "telling my supervisor"...haha! I said, we're volunteers!!! Do you really think we care about your rant?? I think he was sizing me up for some fisticuffs but thought better of it.. It was really quite the picture window into entitlement and privilege. After that experience, I can only say that if anyone volunteers for a for-profit event, you need to carefully consider who you're working for. Cuz they be using you..don't enable them.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Jay was one of the mountains owned by MSSI. So it was the "outcast" at being the only American resort in the portfolio. That's why they took Cdn at par. But it has always been CASH. There were 2 drawers at each cash register.

Hopefully not "death star", maybe Alterra, maybe MSSI again, maybe RCR, maybe someone waaaay out there in left field!! Long as they got deep pockets...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hopefully not "death star", maybe Alterra, maybe MSSI again, maybe RCR, maybe someone waaaay out there in left field!! Long as they got deep pockets...

RCR (Resorts of the Canadian Rockies) own Fernie, Kicking Horse and I think Kimberly. They are known to throw money around like manhole covers.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd think Peak Resorts could be a possible buyer... it would probably be the biggest resort they own though. The others in New England are Attitash, Wildcat, and Crotched. And they just paid $75M for three PA resorts a few months ago, so they have been buying (but may be cash poor?)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is all a part of the ongoing saga of Hermitage, isn't it?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'd think Peak Resorts could be a possible buyer... it would probably be the biggest resort they own though. The others in New England are Attitash, Wildcat, and Crotched. And they just paid $75M for three PA resorts a few months ago, so they have been buying (but may be cash poor?)

Ahhh, you forgot about Mt. Snow. Don't see Peak as being in play on this one. Could be surprised. I'm very interested to see what it will bring. No lack of potential projects there, and need for Capex. That tram is "not young."

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahhh, you forgot about Mt. Snow. Don't see Peak as being in play on this one. Could be surprised. I'm very interested to see what it bring. No lack of potential projects there, and need for Capex.. That tram is "not young."

I DID forget Mount Snow, thinking they didn't have anything in VT... :doh:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging Alterra! Please buy it so my second favorite resort in the east is on Ikon! I’ll buy an Ikon Pass for life!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
It will probably not be the usual suspects who buy Jay. Chances are they the usual guys have been approached before news of the sale of Jay was even public.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January