• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Japan Trying to Kickstart Tourism - Potential Subsidizing of Travel to Japan

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
Some interesting news coming my way today; the Japanese government is trying to kickstart international tourism by subsidizing travel for overseas visitors to the tune of $12.5 billion. If the government approves this scheme, it could start in July if COVID-19 infection rates continue to decline. There's no word on how the funds will allocated and when this program will officially start, but it sounds promising. If the Japanese ski season goes ahead, this could be a great time to experience some Japanese powder and culture. Hope it all happens.....

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...line-record-low-just-2900-april/#.Xsh8JMBMFPb

- Matt

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I doubt the mandatory 2 week self quarantine (and no public transit from the airport) policy will change before July, but you never know.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
As far as I know, the trains are running normally to/from both Narita & Haneda airports.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
As far as I know, the trains are running normally to/from both Narita & Haneda airports.
They are, but not for arrivals from the US according to Japanese friends here. One has a very ill parent... mandatory 2 week self quarantine in isolation (hotel, no private residence stays), and no public transit from the airport to the hotel... It wasn't clear how one was supposed to get from the airports, Haneda or Narita in their case other than being picked up by a friend, which complicates the whole hotel isolation thing. To top it off, flights are cancelled, rescheduled, etc.... making traveling to Japan from the US currently very difficult. That said, I'm long overdue for a visit.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Hmmm, hadn't heard about that (don't get out much except for solo bike rides). They are using some business hotels for self quarantine, but don't know that enforcement is very strict, and the public transport thing is just...weird (well, this is Japan, after all)? Yes, the situation with flights is a mess. I'll ask around about the quarantine business, post here if I get any solid info.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
OK, looks like it's actually rather severe, according to the ANA website: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200501/#anchor003
Applies to visitors from US and most of the rest of the world, as listed on that website
  • Even if your health condition is good, you will be asked to isolate for 14-days from the day of entering Japan at the place designated by the quarantine director (such as home), and not to use the public transportation, including transportation from airports.
    Note that public transportation from the airport includes domestic transfers.
  • With this reason, before entering Japan you will need to secure a place to stay for 14 days and the private transportation to the place.
  • When entering Japan, the quarantine officer will register your quarantine place and your transportation from the airport.

Sponsor

Staff online