• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
From youtube shot by the Kiwis.... One of the commenters mentioned that from Interski 2011 to 2018 in Bulgaria, no other country seemed to really change their direction and clarify their direction more. I have to agree. No more weird swoopy arms and oddly posed skiing. I'd heard that previous teams were an amalgam of their two national associations and some of the outcomes a result of the two not really playing well together. Years ago, I saw and experienced this first hand from region to region within their telemark association (sound familiar?). My theory is that there's a lot of great cross pollination of ideas and skiing going on at the very top. Takao Murayama's been hanging out with JF and JB, and the Aussie's have been hanging out at the Japan tecnical comps. Anyhow, it's pretty cool to see the group ski well, and the women just rip. If you make it through the word soup, @ 7:00 is very interesting and worth chewing on.It's something some of us around these parts have been coaching, but I like the softer notion of describing 'travel' in transistion. All the above is just my opinion.

Last edited:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He's really into rotation, no foot tipping and driving with the hip... I don't like that much. Yes, with the skis we have now you can get away with a lot of stuff, but still...

I was not clear if that is their approach or just the low level progression - that's not how they ski short turns at the technical competitions, so overall that left me quite confused.

Good skiing though and the girls are ripping indeed!

I did enjoy a lot the Swiss presentation...

Last edited:
TS
markojp

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Definitely seemed much more fore aft which is interesting. I'm sure there's much lost in translation, and honestly, it doesn't sound entirely sorted out in Japanese either, but that's ok. Just love that their skiing looks more relaxed. I'm also not looking for an 'entire' method, just little gems like at 7min in that I can add to my descriptive tool box.

Last edited:

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
He's really into rotation, no foot tipping and driving with the hip... I don't like that much. Yes, with the skis we have now you can get away with a lot of stuff, but still...

I was not clear if that is their approach or just the low level progression - that's not how they ski short turns at the technical competitions, so overall that left me quite confused.

Good skiing though and the girls are ripping indeed!

I did enjoy a lot the Swiss presentation...
Maybe what they say, is not what they do. I do not see any rotation in their skiing at all.

James

Out There
Instructor
What does he say at 7 min? I couldn't really tell.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
He's really into rotation, no foot tipping and driving with the hip

Maybe what they say, is not what they do.

I was confused by this too -- the hip movements described and demo'd at very low speed were the complete opposite of what they demo'd in their faster (and very good) short turns.

My guess is they still haven't reconciled their teaching progression for begintermediates with their high-performance final form. Warren Jobbit (CSIA big wig) once told me that the former Japanese upper-body rotating style was deliberate, partly just to be stylish, but also partly out of medical concern for the majority of the Japanese begintermediate market -- they seemed to think that joint injuries were far more common if recreational skiers didn't do separation/counter-rotation exactly right.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What does he say at 7 min? I couldn't really tell.
To stop the hip rotation at the end of the turn, i.e. hold the counter in transition, I guess and then the Ted early transfer to the LTE of the new ski, I think - it's visible in the demo after the talk. And he talks about being forward early on that new foot...

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My guess is they still haven't reconciled their teaching progression for begintermediates with their high-performance final form. Warren Jobbit (CSIA big wig) once told me that the former Japanese upper-body rotating style was deliberate, partly just to be stylish, but also partly out of medical concern for the majority of the Japanese begintermediate market -- they seemed to think that joint injuries were far more common if recreational skiers didn't do separation/counter-rotation exactly right.
that's interesting. thanks.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe consider this vid, and the bit about the soft snow conditions in Japan.

Here's some of Takao Murayama's runs in the event.

abcd

Putting on skis
Skier
As a student, I found the hip rotation explanation helpful. Every time an instructor tells me "tip your knee" or "twist your knee" or "bend your knees into the hill" I end-up either with a knee pain or with a discussion that my knees are not designed to bend sideways. Tipping from the ankles for me directly leads to hip dump or to an unnatural twisted position. His explanation seems to hit close to home for me. I was skiing a somewhat steeper trail last weekend trying to imitate the move and felt bit smoother than usual.
The "rolling" part in his presentation remained a bit mysterious to me, but I presume this is the closest it comes to "tipping".
I tried to review his run at the end in slo mo (and also his run in tandem with NZ guy) and I couln't see a difference between his demonstration in the beginning and what his does during "high performance" skiing. To me it seems like he does what he teaches. Would be helpful for additional clues what to look for.

Also including his NZ video that many probably already saw on youtube anyway

Sponsor

Staff online