• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Japan Backcountry Meetup, Jan 23-28

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Anyone want to join me for some skiing in the backcountry of Hakuba and Myoko? I’ve got guiding booked for Jan 23-25 in Hakuba, of which first day is offpiste/sidecountry. Then, Jan 26-28 in Myoko. I travel on business to Asia this time of year every year and have been taking time to ski each time. Only twice has one of my friends been able to join me, and that ends up being in-resort skiing.

On account of the amount of snow that time of year, terrain will not be radical, not unless you’re competing in the Freeride World Tour that week in Hakuba. But, hey, maybe after those crazies trigger any weak layers,that’s the time to do it?

Feel free to ask any questions. If you get serious, PM me.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
BTW, this is more a meetup type of thing. If in Japan and want to do a day or two of backcountry skiing, come on up.

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
Karlo,

A few ski resorts are already open in Japan. I wish you have a great skiing at that time. In the Hakuba / Myoko area, the Seki Onsen ski resort is also famous with heavy snowfall. You can enjoy powder skiing there with lift access without walking. If you haven’t been there yet, I’d recommend. Enjoy skiing without injury.

SEKI ONSEN, MYOKO KOGEN
http://myokokogen.net/resorts/seki_onsen/

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Thank you.

“Seki Onsen Ski Resort is the perfect place for back-country skiers…with plenty of options for off-piste skiing, often in neck-deep snow.”

That caught my eye, as did the video on the same webpage

The resort and the surrounds are full of possibilities. Screenshots of video at 3:30

30BA3F5C-C98D-4C79-918A-B45B9CBCFFD9.png

9D183896-76D3-4602-B051-683A7CE7D478.png

E3C797CF-7886-4A77-ABDD-EB20747D39A2.png

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
seeking the Japow. Maybe we can get together après even if we stick to the resorts?

Certainly ‘tis the season.

après’ great. I’ll be staying in Happo. I can also easily get to other villages as I am staying at a place near the Happo bus terminal.

PM me and I can share contact info. I tried but your PM feature seems to be turned off

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone. Ski area information In Japan.

It's snowing in Hokkaido and Tohoku. The ski resorts in these area are likely to start on schedule.

This link is the weather forecast for Hokkaido three days ago. Sorry, local news in Japanese.

However, there is still not enough snow on the ski resorts in Nagano Prefecture.
In this area, there are Happo-one, Shiga Kogen, and Nozawa Onsen.
As a result, the business start was postponed.

Last year, there was a lot of snow at Nozawa Onsen, but there was little snow on Happo and Shiga Kogen.
There seems to be regional difference in the amount of snow this year.

PS:This link is snow forecast.com. Please check the ski resorts where you want to go.
https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niseko/6day/mid

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
Introducing the local ski school specially event at happy-one, Nagano.

If you come to Happo, how about such a plan to commemorate your visit to Japan? This is a popular event at Hapo-One Ski School.
It named the original accreditation system "Happo Master and Super Master" This coming ski season's examination will take place on February 10th and March 16th.

The content of the examination is a tour of the difficult places of the Happo-One Ski Resort. The difficulty is much more difficult than ISIA GOLD. Successful applicants are considerable experts. The capacity will be reached quickly after the recruitment starts. Please contact the ski school if you are interested. Reservation scheduled from mid-November.

Link is the demonstration of the ski teacher and the applicants'Ss skiing in test.
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/video/se...aq=-1&ai=qlXBmu7qRSer1b4U8boSVA&fr=top_ga1_sa
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/video/se...aq=-1&ai=qlXBmu7qRSer1b4U8boSVA&fr=top_ga1_sa

Link is the Happo-one ski & snowboard school
https://www.happo-ski.com/?en

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
For Karlo, Eleeski and everyone who are planning powder skiing in Japan.

There is very little snow at ski areas across the country. Most ski areas have been open in the last few days. However, there are not many ski resorts that can run on all courses. Be careful of injuries and accidents while skiing.

Plus. Please ask your tour company or ski guide for mountain information before coming to Japan. I hope you enjoy powder skiing. Take care.