• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jake Shimabukuro Live!

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
We went to hear Jake Shimabukuro at the Center for the Arts in Natick, MA (TCAN) last night. Wow! For those of you who don't know of him, he's the hottest thing in the ukulele universe right now. Having added uke to my repertoire (I've played guitar for 50+ years) a year and a half ago, I was really looking forward to hearing him live. But I was also apprehensive in that I was somewhat afraid that he'd be all pyrotechnics without musical sophistication. Wrong! There were the expected pyrotechnics, of course, but his musicianship was of the highest caliber and his setlist was enjoyably all over the map. His group was a trio, with a fine bassist and a really good guitarist who was particularly adept at tasty ambient effects. They all played with preamps/pedalboards through the excellent house PA (no amps), which sounded great and made for a very clean stage setup. Whether you uke or not, if you get a chance to hear Jake live, do it!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
He's AMAZING....... Not my style of music typically but I went with my guy who loves that stuff and I was very happy to be there. He was spectacular, simply OUTSTANDING!!! Will I put him on my spotify playlist or buy a CD, likely not but I will go see him live any day, anytime, anywhere.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw "the Jimi Hendrix of the ukulele" ten years ago at a free concert in Wash DC when he appeared with the Air Force Band at DAR Constitution Hall. There are a lot of great free military concerts in DC. Agree, his performances range from manic and intense to very melodic!
Found an old clip from that 2008 show here:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw Jake a few years ago at Sierra Nevada brewing in Chico. Great performance!

Sierra Nevada is a wonderfully intimate venue. I've seen a couple other shows there. It's always good and they get excellent acts. The beer rocks too. Go if there's a show that interests you.

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online