• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Jackson vs Big Sky vs Whistler

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd comment on here, but we just got a new dog and I haven't been up since Sunday. I hear that things have gotten crunchy on the front, but the back is still perfect. As it is, it is dumping at my house right now.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
maybe it's lost in translation.
Whistler currently is 0 degrees at the 640m base and -9 C at the roundhouse, colder on top , very sure it won't be raining.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh so i missed this. About Whistler, we have really good coverage now in the trees, off piste runs. It rained a little at the bottom today but the top was wet snow and then in the afternoon the sun came out. Spent the day in trees and bumps, very spring like conditions but good coverage, no worries about rocks or base damage and the tree wells were well consolidated when I dumped the kids I was with into them so I could fish them out fairly easily. As the week goes on there's not major snow coming but the freezing level is dropping each day with a little snow. Hoping there's not a deep freeze that hardens up the off piste. I don't see any major snow forecast at the three resorts asked about so I'd go where they have the most terrain open of the type you like to ski. Checked the coverage and open runs. Bit late to post since your holiday is starting today.

Last edited:

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Big Sky/Moonlight Basin + Bridger Bowl.

Or

Jackson + Grand Targhee.

Or

Whistler + rain.

Can't go wrong with the first two, you already went wrong with the last so why repeat?

I’m also planning a Jackson Hole & Big Sky trip. I have the MCP pass, which includes 2 days at each resort. I’m flying into JH. My plan is to rent a car, spend 16-18 in an airbnb *near* Jackson Hole, (not really near, but cheap,) and then drive to/staying in the Big Sky area 19-21, then back to Jackson Hole area 22-24. I have 3 days not covered by the pass. (I’m counting the 16th and 24th as non ski travel days.)

The MCP pass offers 50% off additional days at their included resorts, which would be JH and BS, but Bridger Bowl is (slightly) cheaper than either JH or Big Sky, even with their 50% discounts. Would Bridger Bowl be worth checking out? I see that Grand Targhee is also near Jackson, which is also cheaper than either JH or BS.

Never having been to any of these places, I have no frame of reference.

Is it better to just ski extra days at JH and BS, or branch out and try BB and GT? Are JH and BS the kinds of places I will definitely want more days at?

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m also planning a Jackson Hole & Big Sky trip. I have the MCP pass, which includes 2 days at each resort. I’m flying into JH. My plan is to rent a car, spend 16-18 in an airbnb *near* Jackson Hole, (not really near, but cheap,) and then drive to/staying in the Big Sky area 19-21, then back to Jackson Hole area 22-24. I have 3 days not covered by the pass. (I’m counting the 16th and 24th as non ski travel days.)

The MCP pass offers 50% off additional days at their included resorts, which would be JH and BS, but Bridger Bowl is (slightly) cheaper than either JH or Big Sky, even with their 50% discounts. Would Bridger Bowl be worth checking out? I see that Grand Targhee is also near Jackson, which is also cheaper than either JH or BS.

Never having been to any of these places, I have no frame of reference.

Is it better to just ski extra days at JH and BS, or branch out and try BB and GT? Are JH and BS the kinds of places I will definitely want more days at?

To drive from Jackson to Big Sky, you get really close to Grand Targhee. GT is a really fun and fine place to ski, go for it. Bridger is maybe just a bit over an hours drive from Bridger, to the North of Big Sky and Bozeman. Unless the weather really stinks it's worth the drive. Again a fun and fine place to ski. GT and Bridger are more laid back than JH and BS, but have challenging skiing if you want it. GT is higher than JH so might have a bit more snow. If you have the opportunity to see and ski those places you oughta do it.

Jack

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
To drive from Jackson to Big Sky, you get really close to Grand Targhee. GT is a really fun and fine place to ski, go for it. Bridger is maybe just a bit over an hours drive from Bridger, to the North of Big Sky and Bozeman. Unless the weather really stinks it's worth the drive. Again a fun and fine place to ski. GT and Bridger are more laid back than JH and BS, but have challenging skiing if you want it. GT is higher than JH so might have a bit more snow. If you have the opportunity to see and ski those places you oughta do it.

Jack
Cool! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully we can check them both out.

James

Out There
Instructor
Grand Targee is very worth going to. Loved it. Gorgeous. As long as it's not foggy.

Just, never, ever, duck a rope at Targhee. The backside basically goes straight down.

IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Wow! Stunning!! Will definitely have to check it out.

Does Liftopia typically run deals for Grand Targhee or Bridger Bowl?

I’ve noticed there are some resorts, like Aspen and Vail, that seem to never have discounted lift tickets on Liftopia, only lodging deals.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just, never, ever, duck a rope at Targhee. The backside basically goes straight down.

I've got a funny story about GT- I was up there skiing alone about 5 yrs ago and had just gone through an opening in the rope line after getting off at the top of the Sacajawea lift. Seeing only air in front of me, I was making a decision as to whether to proceed, or just go back through the gate, when a ski patroller shot past me in a flash of red and biffed. She had dropped a ski and the snow being about knee deep she looked up at me and asked, "Could you get that ski for me?" So much for my moment of indecision. After doing as requested, I looked downhill from my new perspective on the slope and still not seeing a definite path asked, "Do I just go down the fall line from here?" She answered, "No. There's a cliff below us". I waited for her to get her ski on and carefully followed her hard left and then down. Never saw a rope line or sign marking the cliff.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! Stunning!! Will definitely have to check it out.

Does Liftopia typically run deals for Grand Targhee or Bridger Bowl?

I’ve noticed there are some resorts, like Aspen and Vail, that seem to never have discounted lift tickets on Liftopia, only lodging deals.

None of the Vail owned resorts will ever show up on Liftopia, as they guarantee that purchasing single or multi-day tickets (as opposed to a pass) through their website will always be the lowest price. Aspen typically does the same, and perhaps Alterra will follow suit?

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
None of the Vail owned resorts will ever show up on Liftopia, as they guarantee that purchasing single or multi-day tickets (as opposed to a pass) through their website will always be the lowest price. Aspen typically does the same, and perhaps Alterra will follow suit?
OH well. There goes that. : (

Sponsor

Staff online