• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Jackson vs Big Sky vs Whistler

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
thinking about going to JH, Big Sky or Whistler on 2/4 to 2/11. Which place would have better conditions. Reports does not look good for PNW due to a warm spell with rain. JH and BS looks to be around 34 at base. Cant make up my mind.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if the conditions were the same where would you want to ski? Or what are you hoping the answer will be.

All are pretty north and forecasted just to get light inches intermittently.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aim for JH and BS, the snow machine seems to be back on for this region. JH & BS aren't too far apart and you can always spend time at the resort with the best conditions. BS has a 51 inch base at mid mountain right now and just needs some fresh snow to be spectacular.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Whistler certainly has the better coverage if that's a decider, over 8 feet new in last week and a half.
Last few days have been warm and the alpine has been effected by high winds and too much new snow.
More seasonal temps in forecast but any forecast here more than 2 days out is always a guesstimate.

TS
O

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
Whistler certainly has the better coverage if that's a decider, over 8 feet new in last week and a half.
Last few days have been warm and the alpine has been effected by high winds and too much new snow.
More seasonal temps in forecast but any forecast here more than 2 days out is always a guesstimate.
Last time at whistler it rained 3 out of 6 days. Only 1 good snow day. And I was mid lead by their forecast. I learned what freezing level meant.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its really what you want the answer to be. They way you reacted shows in your heart of hearts you don't want the answer to be whistler. If you did go there, no matter the conditions you may grumble and think its better somewhere else..

So, go to one of the other 2 or both jackson and bigsky.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Jackson was having what I interpreted as a bunch of issues with the lower mountain resulting in the closure of the Hobacks. It looks like all of that stuff is now open.

I'm headed to Whistler tomorrow for a few days prior to going heli skiing in Northern BC. It looks like they've had a fair bit of snow. It also looks like it will be pretty white for all of the time I'm there.

I love all three. Whistler is Jackson and Big Sky on steroids. You just need the right conditions to ski it.

Have you been to Whistler? If not, that's where I would go. Although I'd not mind going to any of the three...

Mike

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Weather or snow conditions...who knows?, but for sure Big Sky is the least crowded of the 3.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
thinking about going to JH, Big Sky or Whistler on 2/4 to 2/11. Which place would have better conditions. Reports does not look good for PNW due to a warm spell with rain. JH and BS looks to be around 34 at base. Cant make up my mind.

Whistler

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Snow in the forecast every single day for the next week here. I would assume that similar weather is expected at Fernie and Schweitzer. We have 102" base, theirs are similar.

TS
O

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
Snow in the forecast every single day for the next week here. I would assume that similar weather is expected at Fernie and Schweitzer. We have 102" base, theirs are similar.
Don't know which forecast you're looking at. The one I'm reading says mostly wet snow/ rain with temps 35 to 40 at base

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Don't know which forecast you're looking at. The one I'm reading says mostly wet snow/ rain with temps 35 to 40 at base

Not sure where you're talking about. She was talking about Whitefish, but given the numbers you're saying I think you're talking about Whistler. You said you've skied Whistler before but you're quoting the forecast at the base. The bottom 1/3 of the mountain has very little skiable terrain, forecast at the base is mostly meaningless other than to let you know that the alpine will probably be colder than that. Base temps of 35-40 are often just fine at Whistler, IMO.

That said, I'd agree that in the coming week, the PNW probably isn't the place to travel to if you have a choice of wherever you want to go. As @noncrazycanuck said, last week was a different story.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I only recommend skiing Whistler in April when the crowds are gone and everything is on sale. OTOH if you are ok with lining up and overpaying for everything and then getting 2 runs on a powder morning before it is tracked out, then go for it.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Everything at BS is open and we are suppose to get a dump this weekend.

James

Out There
Instructor
Big Sky/Moonlight Basin + Bridger Bowl.

Or

Jackson + Grand Targhee.

Or

Whistler + rain.

Can't go wrong with the first two, you already went wrong with the last so why repeat?

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

For Fernie this week, I have heard EXCELLENT Conditions at the top. Breakable crust at the bottom.

Sponsor