• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey there. After my horrible season this year I'm starting to think about next year's trip out west. I'm going to check JH off my bucket list. I'm wondering what people recommend for when to go for the best snow in a typical year. I'd be seriously disappointed if Corbet's wasn't open with good snow so that's probably my deciding factor. I was thinking the first week or two of February but it's wide open right now.

I was also thinking of staying either in the Hostel in a private room or at one of the Town Square options (Cowboy Village?). Any thoughts? I'm there to ski so night life isn't really a big concern of mine. Just easy access to good food and a couple beers.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
At a macro level, 1st week or 2 of Feb sounds about right for overall coverage at the resort. As for good snow or not, it all depends on daily variability during a particular year. I've had deep powder days during Christmas vacation, and also bulletproof during Feb. A lot of it depends on luck.

If you just want cheap, clean, no-frills digs to sleep overnight, hard to beat the Motel6 in town. The Motel6 is about 15-20 min driving from JHMR, though, so a car is handy. Not absolutely necessary, as there is public transportation, but much more convenient, nonetheless, with a car.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why?
Bragging rights?

When I was a teenager back in the 80’s there was an article in Ski about “the elevator shaft of skiing” and I said to myself if I ever make it out to Jackson I’ve got to ski Corbet’s. It’s more about dream fulfillment than bragging. I’ll probably tumble my way down anyway

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At a macro level, 1st week or 2 of Feb sounds about right for overall coverage at the resort. As for good snow or not, it all depends on daily variability during a particular year. I've had deep powder days during Christmas vacation, and also bulletproof during Feb. A lot of it depends on luck.

If you just want cheap, clean, no-frills digs to sleep overnight, hard to beat the Motel6 in town. The Motel6 is about 15-20 min driving from JHMR, though, so a car is handy. Not absolutely necessary, as there is public transportation, but much more convenient, nonetheless, with a car.

I know it’s a guess when it comes to the weather; just wondering if Jackson has any historical pattern. Here in NE you can sorta expect a January thaw or Jay to be frigid and windy in February.

As for the pricing, I’m not necessarily looking for the cheapest; just decent, clean and convenient

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
While I ski Jackson once or twice every year, I'm no JHMR weathertarian, but think the first or second week of Feb sounds as good as any. It really is a matter of luck. One thing you ought to understand though is that even though overall mountain conditions might be good that doesn't mean Corbets is open. And, even if it is open, the percentage of +50 yo's jumping in is pretty low!

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not a local either but it seems like the last two weeks of January to the first two weeks of February has been pretty dependable.

The Town Square properties are good and have a dedicated shuttle. I like the Hampton Inn also. It is really nice to stay in the Village but I have never stayed at the Hostel. I have stayed at the Terra, Inn, Alpenhof, and Snake River Lodge and really enjoyed them all but they are usually pretty pricey when compared to the town options. If price were not a significant factor, I would definitely stay in the Village but generally end up getting a room in town.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When I was a teenager back in the 80’s there was an article in Ski about “the elevator shaft of skiing” and I said to myself if I ever make it out to Jackson I’ve got to ski Corbet’s. It’s more about dream fulfillment than bragging. I’ll probably tumble my way down anyway
IMO Corbert's is something for most of us to consider only if a very good snow year and the drop in is shallow. Was a deep drop in last mid - March when I was there. I didn't see it as a possibility for me, could count the number of people I saw that week doing Corberts on one hand, and it was a good snow year in WY. Actually snowed just about every day the week I was there. Was snowing when my flight landed in JAC and snowing when we left a week later. Even had 15" accumulation over night up high the one day it rained at the lower elevations of the Mountain. I wouldn't automatically assume a repeat good snow year for 18/19 just because 17/18 was good to WY.

Last edited:
TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While I ski Jackson once or twice every year, I'm no JHMR weathertarian, but think the first or second week of Feb sounds as good as any. It really is a matter of luck. One thing you ought to understand though is that even though overall mountain conditions might be good that doesn't mean Corbets is open. And, even if it is open, the percentage of +50 yo's jumping in is pretty low!

It’s a good thing I’ll only be 49 in February then! ogsmile

In all seriousness, when I get to the top of the run I’ll know whether or not I should ski it. I’m pretty good on steeps and won’t mind the drop-in if it’s not huge. I’m happy to just ski past it otherwise

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There is usually a goat path into Corbets when it is open. Not everyone airs it out.

Late Jan to end of Feb will usually have the best balance between what is open and snow condition. The sun will get stronger in March, combined with the SE aspect, can make for some interesting snow conditions.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, end of January to the beginning/middle Feb tends to the be the best but there are no guarantees when we are talking about the weather.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The sun will get stronger in March, combined with the SE aspect,...
Huh... forgive my ignorance. From looking at topo maps I was always under the impression that Corbet's had a E/NE aspect. Was I mistaken?

I'd like to look over the edge someday as well. I'd really love to ski it, but it's more likely that I'll tuck my tail between my legs and go the long way.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Huh... forgive my ignorance. From looking at topo maps I was always under the impression that Corbet's had a E/NE aspect. Was I mistaken?

I'd like to look over the edge someday as well. I'd really love to ski it, but it's more likely that I'll tuck my tail between my legs and go the long way.

Think Grump is referring to the mountain in general.

I concur that last couple weeks of Jan or first couple of Feb are prime time. In the last few years JHMR has run a special the last week of Jan where you get 1/2 price lift tickets if you have a pass to anywhere else. Not sure if we'll see that again but it's happened the last 2 years at least.

If you're not a night lifer but enjoy food and beverage I'd stay in town instead of the resort. It's dead easy to take public transit to the resort, busses are well equipped and run regularly. It's what most locals do in my experience -- or they car pool from the park n' ride so that they don't have to pay for parking. Many more food and drink options in town and more locally vibe. Town lodging is relatively inexpensive too.

As for Corbetts. It's not a matter of just skiing steeps. The entry is spicy and you need to be confident and place your first turn well. Unfortunately the prime-time for Corbetts is probably 3-4 weeks later in the season than the prime time for the mountain. Corbetts gets more inviting the deeper the snowpack (so late season is better) and is well shaded so holds snow conditions better than the rest of the mountain.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agreed re. mid January - mid February. I like staying in town and find the public transportation works great for getting to and from the hill. However if you can find cheap lodging at Teton village that might work better for you. I have a recently retired friend who spent a lot of time there last winter and he stayed at the Motel 6. He drove out so had his car with him. He also mostly skis back country both off the tram and from Teton Pass. I may join him for a week next next season. We should look at Corbett's together.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our favorite place to stay is the Elk Country Inn. Their little cabins are awesome. While there a few places in town that have these cabins, ECI is the first stop on the shuttle, so you always get a seat. Also you have jsut enough time to run up to D.O.G. for a breakfast burrito and get back for the bus...AND Bubba's BBQ is really close for dinner. So much win.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree, Elk Country Inn is my favorite too. Many of us stayed there the last time the Gathering was at Jackson.
A private top-floor room at the Hostel at Teton Village is a close second. The restaurant shortage at the Village is not as severe as it used to be, but most of them are pretty pricey. One option that works well if you stay at the village is to take a late-afternoon / early evening bus to town (e.g the last one before they go to the reduced schedule) and share a cab back. The last time I was there without the Gathering (admittedly quite a few years) the cabs were $30 per ride, not per person.

I know there were some newspaper stories about continued subsidies for the public buses a couple of years ago, but I did not notice how that played out. Hopefully they are still a good deal. Note that the ECI and co-owned motels run a separate private bus, which is what Phil was referring to above.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was always under the impression that Corbet's had a E/NE aspect. Was I mistaken?

Think Grump is referring to the mountain in general.

What @jmeb said.

Generally, Jackson has a SE aspect. Around March or so when temps goes up a bit, it doesn't take much sun to turn the new snow in the Hoback into non-Newtonian substance.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
If you have a car you can stay in town and then park and ride the free shuttle ( or fill in a seat for someone who wants to get in a car pool lot) just off 22.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The last week of January has worked really well for me for the last 25 - 30 years. Prices are still cheap, and crowds are typically not crazy yet.

Unless powder.

The Hostel scares me. The Inn at Jackson Hole is not much more expensive, has the same location, and gets my vote.

As Phil mentioned the Elk cabins are hard to beat in town, but damn, you gotta get up early to ride the bus!

Sponsor