Northern Rockies/Alberta Jackson Hole trip - best time to go typically

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by TheArchitect, Jun 8, 2018.

1. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

IMG_5777.PNG
    This pic is from that steep camp video Geepers posted.
    Which chair is that? I remember the groomer way right that starts where the blue sky is, and in this photo you can't see most of, is a double blue. From the chair I watched someone fall on it then slide like 100 yards. Conditions were firm.

2. wyowindrunner

wyowindrunner Getting on the lift Skier

Get a 4wd by all means. Have lived in this part of the world for much of my life. Own four vehicles at present and they are all 4WD or AWD. Level 2 chain law on Teton pass requires tire chains or 4WD with snow or all season tires. Happens now and then. 750 buck fine if you end up blocking traffic. Two days ago US 26 and ID 33 and 32 were closed. People bound for SLC were stuck in Teton valley for 24hours. On the way back from Targhee Sunday ID33 was drifting completely across the road in several places and this was in the daylight. Think it would have really sucked at night in a minivan.

3. doc

doc Putting on skis Skier

What he said. From south side of restaurant (Rendevous?) at top of Bridger gondola.

4. mdf

mdf photo by Lady_Salina Skier

hobacks.jpg

Almost down! And it isn't even dark yet!
    I think that was the inaugural session of the Ministry of Bad Ideas.

5. TonyPlush

TonyPlush Getting on the lift Skier

Yikes. Very helpful though.

Sounds like a 2WD Minivan is out of the question. Unfortunately, AWDRentals jacked up their prices even further, because apparently the week we fly in is Sundance Film Festival Week. A Subaru Outback has gone from $400 to $850 for the week. Can't say I blame them, but I'm kicking myself for not reserving earlier.

Hoping that Enterprise will have an AWD onsite that we can use instead of the minivan. I called the SLC Budget as well, apparently if you request AWD over the phone, their team will email within a few days to confirm whether they can guarantee one. Two days later and haven't heard any confirmation though.

I guess worst case scenario, we'll just ski the SLC area. Was really looking forward to JH though, so fingers crossed.

6. SpikeDog

SpikeDog You want Big Air, kid? Skier

Looks like Corbet's is open today. I'm headed to Tahoe tomorrow (of course).

ella_g likes this.
  7. DrGT

DrGT Booting up Skier

Going to JH this week!
    Quick newbie question: do you wear your ski boots if you use the START bus?

8. doc

Will defer to JH locals, but the START bus seems to disgorge a lot of folks at the base wearing boots. My guess would be if your start and end point is the Transit Center where your car is then, yes, you can change into boots at your car and wear them on the bus. But, if you're starting and ending in town, you might want to get a locker and change into boots at the base. Of course, YMMV.

DrGT likes this.
  9. TonyPlush

Thanks again for all the advice @jgiddyup, @bmoreiskier, @cosmoliu. Just got back from three days at JHMR. Had an absolute blast, and best of all... skied the Hobacks!

I took the advice learned on here and treated it as a progression.

Day 1: Spent the morning warming up on the Apres Vous groomers. Eventually skied a somewhat ungroomed Kenmerer no problem. Warmed up for bumps with the ungroomed portions of Easy Does It. Took the tram up and skied Rondezvous Bowl, which was beautiful soft snow. (Unusually great conditions there, according to a local I met on the lift.) Then hit Laramie Bowl, Bivouc, Rondezvous Bowl again, Tensleep Traverse to Snag Tree, Teewinot Face, Secret Slope, and a few others to finish the day.

Day 2: Took first Tram up. Had eyed Buffalo Bowl while skiing the South Pass Traverse the day prior and thought it could be a low commitment version of the Hobacks, but a local suggested it would ski better in the afternoon. So, hit the bowl then lapped Bivouc, Laramie Bowl, Thunder, and Snag Tree for a while. Eventually worked over to Teton Quad and hit Grizzly Glade. Finished the day with Buffalo Bowl and was feeling confident about the Hobacks.

Day 3: Lapped Apres Vous and Teton Quad all morning. Took the tram up after lunch, and... had a blast skiing the South/Middle Hoback!

Conditions were fantastic. Intimidating at the top, but quickly opened up to extremely soft turns in what I can only assume is the legendary corn snow I've heard so much about. One of the best runs of my life.

Pictures:

hobacks 1.jpg

hobacks 2.jpg
    Rocky entrance with 5 foot tall moguls, worried the next 2,000 feet could be brutal...

hobacks 3.jpg
    Hobacks opening up

hobacks 4.jpg

Amazing soft snow in the middle to bottom of the Hobacks. Not sure if this is the corn snow I've heard so much about, but one of the best runs I've ever had.

Thanks again everyone! JHMR is an amazing place!

SpikeDog, ella_g, doc and 2 others like this.
  10. ella_g

ella_g Getting off the lift Skier

9E6EF9B1-145B-4722-9135-0A35E92B88E8.jpeg
    3ft of snow in 2 days. 730 am, tram line looping back around general store and up the stairs towards Bridger gondi. We can’t find some of the things we normally jump off of...

RJS, SpikeDog and TheArchitect like this.
  11. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

TheArchitect Working on Angulation because....see above Skier

That makes me soooo happy! I'll be there in 2 weeks. I hope it keeps snowing between now and then but 3' of snow now certainly helps.

ella_g likes this.
  12. TonyPlush

Good lord. At 7:30??

How long does that take for somebody showing up at 9:00? 2 hours?

13. doc

Depends on the day. Lots of time the line is considerably worked off by 9.

14. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

Nice pic of the "Triangle of Death" main Hoback entrance, @TonyPlush!

Here's a (kind of at least) local's Hoback tip: Ski past the main entrance. Stay on R-Trail to nearly the bottom, and take the signed traverse to the right. It will lead you through a bit of a whooped-out traverse to the North Hoback, BELOW the hell of the main entrance. You miss essentially nothing IMO, except the five-foot moguls and rocks you noted.

If you look up the hill as you ski under a good-sized tree island, you might even spot the picnic area!

15. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

Any good weather blogs for the JH area? Open Snow and http://www.jhweather.com/#/home are about the best I've found. Here in the east we have the Single Chair Weather Blog out of Mad River Glen that I've been following this season and I'm wondering if there's a JH equivalent.

16. ella_g

ella_g Getting off the lift Skier

@TheArchitect I find noaa accurate for everywhere we go. Bridger teton avalanche ctr website is good too. Hope ur stoked for your trip!! Watch kings & queens of corbets on insta tomorrow ... if you indulge in that kind of thing ... by that I mean social media, not hucking off cliffs ...

TheArchitect likes this.
  17. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

I watched a replay of Kings and Queens. Those guys are nuts. The snow looked pretty good, though. One week to go!

RJS likes this.
  18. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

JH is reporting 18" and more snow from now until early next week. The entire mountain is open except for 1 trail...Corbet's! I'm assuming they're getting rid of the features they built for Kings and Queens and that's why it's closed. I hope it's open by next week. I may not ski it but I at least want it to be an option.

19. SpikeDog

SpikeDog You want Big Air, kid? Skier

Can't find who won the Kings/Queens of Corbets.

20. Thread Starter
    TS
    TheArchitect

I believe they're announcing the winner on Saturday.

SpikeDog likes this.