• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Jackson Hole Ski Area sold?

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Rumor it was sold to Alterra. If so, the Kemmerer's made out big flipping that resort.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Assuming this is true, now seems like a very good time to sell. Valuations are being driven up by the competition between Vail and Alterra, and the economy is still doing quite well. I would have to imagine that Jackson Hole would fetch a mighty price. It's exactly the kind of "iconic" destination resort that Alterra wants in their portfolio.

Most of the resorts on the Ikon Pass that hardcore skiers salivate over, resorts like Alta, Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Revelstoke, and Aspen, are not actually owned by Alterra, they're just partners. Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth, and Steamboat are the big-name resorts owned by Alterra. Partnerships help grow the Ikon Pass, but I have to imagine that the Ikon Pass is really just a means to an end in Alterra's long-term plan. They're ultimately interested in driving people to properties that they own so that they can capture more of the value that customers bring than just the lift tickets. They also want food, retail, lessons, real estate, etc.

One more thing to add: would Jackson Hole go unlimited on the Ikon Pass if it's bought by Alterra? I'm not sure. Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth are unlimited, Deer Valley is not. I heard a rumor that the Crown family (owners of ASC) may have bought Jackson Hole, not Alterra, in which case it would certainly not become unlimited.

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
Quoted from an email sent by JHMR owner Connie Kemmerer to employees a little while ago:

"I want to assure you that the rumors that JHMR has been sold are untrue. We love being independent and plan on keeping it that way!"

TS
SpikeDog

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Dang rumor mill. Sounded reasonable to me. Jackson is just the kind of resort Alterra would covet.

giphy.gif

Reactions: RJS

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m still hearing rumors but I got nuthin besides rumors.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid