• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Jackson Hole, Best Inexpensive Lodging/tickets?

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've never been but want to do it fairly cheaply. Any tips on places to stay or avoid are appreciated.

Looking at mid Feb 17th - 22nd or so. Just me and an old college buddy so we don't need anything fancy beyond a bed and lift tickets.

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like the Elk Mountain Lodge, they have these great little cabins for a little over $100/night. You can cook in them and they are right on the bus route. For tickets, look at the Mountain Collective Pass.

TS
Dadskier

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
I like the Elk Mountain Lodge, they have these great little cabins for a little over $100/night. You can cook in them and they are right on the bus route. For tickets, look at the Mountain Collective Pass.

Elk Country in maybe? Only hit I get for Elk Mountain is a place in Crested Butte.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If you can stomach this kind of place, the Hostel at Teton Village is a fantastic bang for the buck. Ski-in-ski-out. Just book a full room for yourself, it is still cheaper than any other room in a comparable location. Can be noisy depending on your neighbors and it is a very ski-bum kind of place, but if you dig the hard-core vibe, it is fantastic.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Plenty of inexpensive places in Jackson, and the bus system is pretty efficient, but I'd opt for the Hostel for two people.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Elk Country in maybe? Only hit I get for Elk Mountain is a place in Crested Butte.
Yup, thats it. Plus you can run up to D.O.G., get the best breakfast burrito on the planet, run back and still make the 8:15 bus.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, it is Elk Country Inn. I stayed in one of their cabins with my adult son at the last Epic Gathering, and they are fantastic. There were several other groups renting cabins too. I've also stayed in the Hostel, and it is great too -- you can't beat the location. To cut down on noise, get a top floor room (no one walking on your ceiling) on the side away from the parking lot (the back-up beeper on snowplows sounds way too much like my alarm clock). There are other good cheap motels in town. I've never stayed in the Painted Buffalo, but it seems to be a favorite of a lot of people.

TS
Dadskier

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Elk Country is coming in cheaper than the Hostel. I think we have a winner. Just need to confirm with my buddy and it's time to start pulling the trigger on things.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Philpug and I stayed in the 49er several years ago, it is a standard motel right in the center of town. One advantage is they have a complimentary shuttle that takes you directly to/from Teton Village.You would not need a car if you stay with them, shuttle is easy from the airport. Staying in town also lets you get some good, low price food. They also sold lift tickets that were discounted from the walk-up rate of the mountain, not sure if this is still available. I would give them a call 307-733-7550.

There is a Motel 6 in Jackson,stayed there for a night last year. Very basic, but, cheap, you would need a car.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk Country has regular rooms in the main building as well as the cabins, so make sure you've got the right thing. The cabins are a few dollars more but worth it.
(Search for the party photos from the Epicski Gathering last year to see interiors of the cabins.)

The bus run by the four motels under the same ownership (Town Square, or something like that) stops right in front of the Elk Country parking lot. We used it every day, even though we had a car.

Agree with Living Proof that cheap food availability is an issue at Teton Village.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
^^^^
I forgot the Elk Country and the 49er are part of the same Town Square Group. BTW, the dedicated shuttle from this company is far faster than the public bus system (Start Bus) that runs from the town to Teton Village, but, it only drops off an pics up twice each a.m. and p.m. 49er is more centrally located to the town if a cabin is not available.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Plus the Elk is a bit closer to Bubbas BBQ so you don't have as far to waddle home after a huge plate of their brisket.

jgiddyup

Asst. Gathermeister--Utah
Skier
The Town Square Inn's (Elk Country.49R/Antler) have packages available that will save considerably on the lift ticket end. Jackson Hole central reservations does the same and can book just about any place in town as part of a package.

The cabins are very cool BTW but good basic diggs can be had for a little less if that's important.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stayed at the Hostel last year and found it a convenient , a great ski vibe, friendly people, and no driving. There are a few good places to eat that didn't break the bank. I just like the on mountain experience. we rented a quad and it was plenty adequate. Now my bride would not approve but ski buddy you will love the place.

TS
Dadskier

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Booked! Cabin at Elk Country. I'll be skiing 2/18 - 2/21, if anyone local is around for tours I'd love to hook up. Especially that Saturday when I'll be solo.

Thanks for all the Help!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Bumping this thread for ski selection advice.

Coming to Jackson this week (Thur-Saturday) and can only pack 2 skis.

Ski 1: 184 Moment Bibby Pro (118mm waist). Definitely bringing this at it is my only uphill setup and my friend from Driggs has offered Sunday AM meadow skipping.

Ski 2: Either a) 181 K2 Aftershock (85mm waist, metal) or b) 177 Nordica El Capo (107mm waist, metal.)

TS
Dadskier

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bumping this thread for ski selection advice.

Coming to Jackson this week (Thur-Saturday) and can only pack 2 skis.

Ski 1: 184 Moment Bibby Pro (118mm waist). Definitely bringing this at it is my only uphill setup and my friend from Driggs has offered Sunday AM meadow skipping.

Ski 2: Either a) 181 K2 Aftershock (85mm waist, metal) or b) 177 Nordica El Capo (107mm waist, metal.)

I'm packing my Soul7's which are my widest skis and a pair of Watea 84s that I probably won't use (but when I forget them I end up with conditions where they would be handy ...)

Anyone have tips on tickets? I'll probably just buy them ahead from the website (Inn ticket package wasn't that great) unless I can find some other source. The 4 day pass still comes out to more than $100 a day ...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm packing my Soul7's which are my widest skis and a pair of Watea 84s that I probably won't use (but when I forget them I end up with conditions where they would be handy ...)

Anyone have tips on tickets? I'll probably just buy them ahead from the website (Inn ticket package wasn't that great) unless I can find some other source. The 4 day pass still comes out to more than $100 a day ...
Did you look into the mountain collective? You might break even on Jackson but it will also give you 2 free tickets for Stowe and 50% off your skiing there.

Sponsor