• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Bob Peters

Bob Peters

JHMR Ambassador
Industry Insider
How is Jackson's season thus far? A few of my friends didn't bother going up there from SLC a week or so ago, claimed Jackson was also in a snow drought.
Looking at the totals, reported 321" at summit, 234" mid mountain , and GT reported 298 inches. . Seems like a normal year there, right?
Alta reported a paltry 183" but i'm not sure where at Alta that measurement is from.

I'm hoping to go out to Jackson/GT first week of march.

No! Your friends made absolutely the RIGHT decision!

It's not snowing in JH nearly as much as it is everywhere else around the Rockies and Intermountain West. The show is over here. It's time to move on to better storm tracks. Utah, Colorado, and California (and maybe Arizona and New Mexico) offer much better prospects going forward.

We'll muddle along here but if I could afford to go elsewhere I certainly would.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
How is Jackson's season thus far? A few of my friends didn't bother going up there from SLC a week or so ago, claimed Jackson was also in a snow drought.
Looking at the totals, reported 321" at summit, 234" mid mountain , and GT reported 298 inches. . Seems like a normal year there, right?
Alta reported a paltry 183" but i'm not sure where at Alta that measurement is from.

I'm hoping to go out to Jackson/GT first week of march.

When assessing how a resort is doing I don't pay attention to total snowfall because you don't know when they started counting, you don't know how much has settled, blown away or melted. Instead, I look at the alpine base depth because it tells me how thick the snowpack is right now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When assessing how a resort is doing I don't pay attention to total snowfall because you don't know when they started counting, you don't know how much has settled, blown away or melted. Instead, I look at the alpine base depth because it tells me how thick the snowpack is right now.

Lots of truth in that. I've got another system that works pretty well. I go to JH the last week of January every year. Three out of five years it is great. One out of five is good, and one out of five is not quite great.

Been working this system since 1986, with one year off for a broken collar bone.

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor

It's not snowing in JH nearly as much as it is everywhere else around the Rockies and Intermountain West. The show is over here. It's time to move on to better storm tracks. Utah, Colorado, and California (and maybe Arizona and New Mexico) offer much better prospects going forward.

We'll muddle along here but if I could afford to go elsewhere I certainly would.

Nothing to see here.... Move along!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Welp, a fatality at Jackson Hole in the Rock Springs sidecountry on Feb 17th.

https://snowbrains.com/skier-killed-in-avalanche-jackson-hole-wy-backcountry-today/

The area is pretty much the same spot where 2 other skiers were killed in 2016.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...cle_ee898bbc-2df9-5e5a-beeb-b50eace1eda8.html

This is from 2 years ago:

56a86c6097bed.image.jpg

Sounds like another set of skiers venturing out of bounds from the top gate of Rendezvous Bowl. I'm sure folks more familiar with the Rock Springs Bowl can weigh in, but the top gate puts you in danger of being cliffed out if you aren't going south to the Cody Bowl area. If you want to go out, try the lower gates first.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier

Here's what you're up against in Zero G

That spine on skier's right is the landmark of the run.

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier

Ha. Reminds me of a sticker I saw while passing through the Bozeman airport on Sun.
MontanaisFullSticker__61983.1420824602.1280.1280_1024x.jpg

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@milkman ysterday the mountain was skiing pretty well all over. We mostly skied Saratoga bowl and the off Sublette bc there were 7 inches of new snow. Took this video, you can see it’s still winter

(Disregard what’s going on in the video, look at the snow)
Today it rained low but was snowing on top, but you couldn’t see a thing. Like the chair in front of you or the people you were supposedly skiing with. Next 3 days should be good it’s snowing. We’re not out til the afternoon tomorrow but I’ll post back.

Reactions: TPJ

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I went to visit my daughter in Jackson (she's doing Physical Therapy residency there). Skied one great sunny day at Jackson Hole. The mountain is wonderful, although the runs were more crowded than I like (I usually ski with very few other people on the hill). We had a great time. I highly suggest going to Jackson if you get the chance. (This was March 9th...)

261.jpeg P_20180311_090013_LL.jpg P_20180310_133321_LL.jpg P_20180310_132655_LL.jpg P_20180310_113719_LL.jpg P_20180310_110818_BF.jpg

Last edited:

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Season is over - hope everyone had a good time.

@Bob Peters - I see Ruthie made the list of 100 days skied at JHMR. Are you not eligible?

Sponsor

Staff online

• jimmy
    Mixmaster
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid