• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
Thursday was a great day! Nobody was more surprised to find fresh snow everywhere than me. I didn't get a single flake at my house on Wednesday night.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
JohnL, It looks like a lot of fresh snow in those photos! No new snow in Wasatch since you left. Possibly six inches coming on Feb 5.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Skied JHMR today - that was the last of my Mountain Collective freebies. A couple of inches of fresh overnight, and free refills all day. The upper mountain was superb, the lower mountain . . . not so much. A bit of rain had rendered the Hobacks pretty crunchy and anything below about 8000' was dust on crust. Thunder and Sublette lifts were as crowded as I've ever seen them, but all the detachable quads were doing fine.

A bit of a rant here, as the ski patrol closed the Headwall gate in my face today. The gate closes at 2 PM, and is about 100 steps up the hill from the cat track. I was about 2/3 of the way up to the gate when the patrol swung it shut. Just 30 seconds more and I'd have been in, and I was the only one on the boot pack. The patrolman gave me his back, said nothing after declaring "It's 2 o'clock", total assbag move.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Jackson Hole SB Sunday/Fly Eagle Fly Monday with @Gary Stolt and @SKI-3PO
Days are blending into one, but heavier/wetter snow on Sunday and though not much new snow on Monday, some amaaazing snow surface. Summary: fantastic skiing both days.

Sunday:
  • Sublette lift closed due to wind, long lines on Thunder.
  • Snow was light up top, but wet, manky at Teton chair level and rain at base.
  • Fun untouched open runs below Expert Chutes, but viz sucked at times. Couldn't see the double fall lines or drop offs.
  • Washakie Glades were Mank City Glades in PM
  • @Gary Stolt 's friend Greg got up too soon after an unexpected two foot droop on a traverse in lower Casper Bowl - no photo ops per Gary
  • Said friend has improved his skiing immensely in past few years thanks to new skis from Gary and JH Steep and Deep Camp
  • Paint Brush to Toilet Bowl did not suck, especially the section above PB.

Monday:
  • Saw @TPJ a couple times on the mountain, but he was working a lesson and did not want to interrupt.
  • Great snow on Paint Brush to Toilet Bowl and Hoops Gap.
  • Sublette was open, and hit knee deep untracked (several parallel tree openings totally untouched until I desecrated them) in popular tree section at 1 PM!
  • Had a nice chowder/pp run on Cirque
  • Found some playful snow and terrain in the trees off Casper lift
Pix:
Scott was the photog on Monday. Clear that @Uncle Louie needs some more work on my banking habit.
IMG_2967.jpg IMG_2977.jpg

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The combination of warmth/rain/re-freezing made the mid-lower mountain particularly challenging, but the snow up high - specifically off Thunder and Sublette - was phenomenal everywhere.

TPJ

Instructor
I thought I saw you guys on Sunday going into Wally World. It was extra good skiing over there because Sublete was closed. We did some Trams and a few C`Pass traverses to ski some of it. We started the day with an early Tram and actually got one Sublet ride before it closed for the day. Thunder was also great. Skiing was very good yesterday (Tuesday) as well. We did a headwall that really didn't suck!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I may need to head up to Jackson pretty soon. Looks like the storm pattern may be coming to an end but still hoping for some decent skiing and coverage. It sounds like some variable conditions on the lower mountain but it’s gotta be better than our low tide, thin, firm snowpack here at Snowbasin. I’m thinking of driving up Saturday afternoon & skiing Sunday thru maybe Wednesday.
Keep posting!

TPJ

Instructor
I may need to head up to Jackson pretty soon. Looks like the storm pattern may be coming to an end but still hoping for some decent skiing and coverage. It sounds like some variable conditions on the lower
mountain but it’s gotta be better than our low tide, thin, firm snowpack here at Snowbasin. I’m thinking of driving up Saturday afternoon & skiing Sunday thru maybe Wednesday.
Keep posting!

I will be in Sun Valley for the next several days. I would love to ski with you when I get back.