• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

J Skis Hotshot vs Armada ARV 106?

ReedT2001

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Okay, I am so close to pulling the trigger on a new set of skis. I have been skiing in Sun Valley for years with my family out there, but this year I'm taking a month long trip to go bum around the west, skiing all day, every day. I have narrowed it down to these two skis, but now can't decide because of the limited info on the Hotshots. I can infer that they carve better than the ARVs, but I would rather not sacrifice powder performance for groomer performance. I probably ski 70% off piste and powder, 30% on, but usually even more than that off piste. What are the differences between these two skis?

Edit: Lets go ahead and throw the 2021 Faction Prodigy 3.0 into the mix. They went from 104-106 and I am curious about that switch.

Last edited:

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
So looking at specs;
Hotshot and Prodigy have close mount points in the -7 to -8 range, where the ARV (Ti and non-Ti) is -2, so how do you ski?

Which version of the ARV, with or without metal? The Hotshot and the ARV Ti both have metal in them, but the difference is in the mount points. The Prodigy and ARV (non-Ti) are both without metal in them, and different mount points as well..

Weights are all within a couple hundred grams, the ones with metal are the heavier ones.

What have you skied before that you liked?

TS
R

ReedT2001

Skier
So looking at specs;
Hotshot and Prodigy have close mount points in the -7 to -8 range, where the ARV (Ti and non-Ti) is -2, so how do you ski?

Which version of the ARV, with or without metal? The Hotshot and the ARV Ti both have metal in them, but the difference is in the mount points. The Prodigy and ARV (non-Ti) are both without metal in them, and different mount points as well..

Weights are all within a couple hundred grams, the ones with metal are the heavier ones.

What have you skied before that you liked?

I ski aggressively and am almost always off piste. I love the trees, moguls, and really always trying to find powder on the mountain.

I don't believe they are making the ARV Ti for 2021, so there it would be without metal. I last skied a QST 106 that I enjoyed, I could've gone with a bit more float in the powder. I don't mind working a little harder on groomers for good pow performance.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yeah, it looks like the Declivity 102 has taken the spot of the ARV Ti for this year, as well as the Invictus series.

TS
R

ReedT2001

Skier
Yeah, it looks like the Declivity 102 has taken the spot of the ARV Ti for this year, as well as the Invictus series.

I feel like I am reaching the point in my hunt for skis that it is coming down to brand preference because the skis are so similar. Am I wrong? Obviously the Hotshots are heavier and may handle better because of that on piste, but I remember reading that the extra weight hindered the ability in powder (at least it did on The Metal ski it's replacing). Im leaning towards the Armadas because of hearing that the Factions are prone to break. I want a fun all mountain ski that I will still want to use on pow days once I justify the expense of a piste ski.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I’d be looking at the Mindbender 108Ti with the mount moved up 2cm as it would be perfect for your needs. Best float in it’s width range, yet still good on groomers and pivots well off piste especially with the mount up a bit. If you can get last years top sheet, it would be an even better deal as that’s all that’s changed for 2021. Nice weight for powder but not too light so that it’s bad in crud.

2021 Armada 106 is a decent ski now that it’s been stiffened up and weight increased but still has their very slow S7 bases which are more meant for terrain park abuse. Noticeably slower than a typical “race base” used by everyone else. Hot Shot is soft tip/tail like the Metal with a bit better float than before but still won’t have the stability at speed or float of the Mindbender 108. I’d prefer the Enforcer 104 Free to the Armada or JSkis if you wanted more groomer bias than the Mindbender which it sounds like you don’t.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
prodigy series are not prone to break, other factory than older candides, new 2021 even stronger.

blister just released their 2021 guide, gave the hotshot a surprisingly good rating for pow. REALLY tempted.

Also the m pro 108s got great remarks.

TS
R

ReedT2001

Skier
prodigy series are not prone to break, other factory than older candides, new 2021 even stronger.

blister just released their 2021 guide, gave the hotshot a surprisingly good rating for pow. REALLY tempted.

Also the m pro 108s got great remarks.

I just ordered the ARV 106s so I really need to turn the thread notifications off... Where can I find the 2021 guide?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
haha I think you will be happy, 2021 ARV 106s are supposed to be way more chargy, I cant wait to try them! did you read NS's review on them? they were deemed a bit stiff for park, but also means all mountain performance was up.

Blisters guide is at their site

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Forgot to mention the MFree 108 Dynastars too! Especially in the 192cm they rip! The 182cm version more surfy and playful.

TS
R

ReedT2001

Skier
haha I think you will be happy, 2021 ARV 106s are supposed to be way more chargy, I cant wait to try them! did you read NS's review on them? they were deemed a bit stiff for park, but also means all mountain performance was up.

Blisters guide is at their site

the NS review is what sold me on them! I liked the sound of the old ones, but they lacked the pow performance. This year's seem great.

I can't seem to access the Blister guide. It keeps asking me to preorder it. I do wanna read it!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the NS review is what sold me on them! I liked the sound of the old ones, but they lacked the pow performance. This year's seem great.

I can't seem to access the Blister guide. It keeps asking me to preorder it. I do wanna read it!
haha so we are the 2 guys going YEAH STIFFER AWESOME :D :D Pricing for us is weird at times due to currency so its currently more money for the ARV106 than any black crows boutique ski.

blister guide is a payed thing, like 30 or 60usd something, I just got a link in my email, so not via their site. I do want the printed version as well.

TS
R

ReedT2001

Skier
haha so we are the 2 guys going YEAH STIFFER AWESOME :D :D Pricing for us is weird at times due to currency so its currently more money for the ARV106 than any black crows boutique ski.

blister guide is a payed thing, like 30 or 60usd something, I just got a link in my email, so not via their site. I do want the printed version as well.

Oh definitely! As stated in the NS review, it seems like less of a park ski this year and more of a deep snow all-mountain ski. Can't wait to get on them! Just out of curiosity, what does Blister have to say about the new ARV 106s and the J Skis Hotshot? I will still buy the guide, but I think I might wait for the full digital edition to come out. Right now I can only get print.

Also, the ARV was around 850 with Tyrolia attacks... the Black Crows seem to be just that and higher for flats. Where can I find the black crows for less??

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
yeah I think you will be very happy with the arv 106.

ref pricing it was a refferal to me beeing in norway, the hotshot for me is more money flat, than a justis with gold pivotyes 15s as an example.

hotshot is gets very high praises in blister guide, arv 106 isnt in this years, guess they ran out of time, hard to test every ski in the world, and doesnt help with covid.

Sponsor

Staff online