• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a search and didn't find much, so if I missed a few threads...please point me in the right direction. I'm super intrigued by this company and their skis seems to be winning a lot of awards and accolades. I'm not looking for any super deep reviews...just any feedback on how you like your J skis and your impressions on build quality and on-snow feel. They are not easy to demo or find since they sell direct so a demo is going to be unlikely and, in fact, as we all know basically impossible anyway since there is no place to ski. Thanks for any thoughts you may have and stay safe!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
They are made by Utopie -- which is a solid factory in Canada.

I've only been on the Masterblaster, but i thought it was helluva fun. Relatively heavy and damp, but an unusual medium flex for such a ski makes its excellent at moderate speeds. Would make an excellent OSQ out West.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The only one I can comment on.

They do have demos. Out East too. Best way is to contact them directly on their site.

@JLev has been here some, but his site is the best way to contact him.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The only one I can comment on.

They do have demos. Out East too. Best way is to contact them directly on their site.

@JLev has been here some, but his site is the best way to contact him.

Thanks...somehow your review didn't pop up when I looked. Will take a look. Appreciate the suggestions.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a pair of 181 Masterblasters, great skis. This past year I bought a pair of 180 Metals. I did not like that ski at all. Definitely to short. I suspected that would be the case when ordered but the J ski person I spoke with convinced me to go 180. J Skis run short.

The great thing about the company is you ski the ski no more than 3 days you don't like it send it back. It really was that easy. The requested pictures of the tops and bottoms, which is understandable. After they see that you haven't trashed the skis they authorize the return. Dismount them send 'em back, full refund.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Lots of reviews online including in-depth ones on Blistergear of many of their models. More discussion about JSkis from customers on more freestyle/freeride biased forums like Newschoolers and TGR where the All Play, Master Blaster, The Metal and The Friend are adored. Have yet to talk to a JSkis owner on a chair lift that didn’t seem to enjoy them. Limited and unique graphics on all their skis makes them stand out in lift lines.

Think their Master Blaster is one of their best efforts and the wider The Metal also a very good ski. The Metal will get a revamp in 2020/21 and becomes the Hotshot with improved edge grip underfoot and easier surfing in deep snow. Better sizing options too with 177cm,183cm and 189cm lengths available. Anxious to try them out!

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a search and didn't find much, so if I missed a few threads...please point me in the right direction. I'm super intrigued by this company and their skis seems to be winning a lot of awards and accolades. I'm not looking for any super deep reviews...just any feedback on how you like your J skis and your impressions on build quality and on-snow feel. They are not easy to demo or find since they sell direct so a demo is going to be unlikely and, in fact, as we all know basically impossible anyway since there is no place to ski. Thanks for any thoughts you may have and stay safe!

Hey @locknload I got your PM and I owe you and this forum a review of the Master Blasters, which I love. Let me get around to it this weekend.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey @locknload I got your PM and I owe you and this forum a review of the Master Blasters, which I love. Let me get around to it this weekend.
Sounds good...no hurry. I know we all have a lot of more pressing matters going on. Cheers.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I own the 186 Metal and it has been one of my DD's for the last three years. Love it and will never sell it, but not for everyone. I've skied the MB also and would buy it if I didn't already have a ski that covers what it does best.

My advice (other than to demo if you can) is size up on a Metal and don't on a Masterblaster.

Haven't tried any other J's so I can't speak to them.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the Metal in a 186. I'm 215lbs, 6'. It's a very heavy ski that skis lighter than it feels. It's super stable in the chop and does well in just about every condition minus deep pow. In contrast for such a wide ski, it absolutely rips groomers. That was actually the biggest surprise for me. If I had to do it over again I'm 58 yo and I would have sized down one to make it even more playful for East Coast. For West I'd stay where I am. For deep snow there are better more specific tools out there.

Incredible manufacturing quality. These things feel SOLID. It's a bulletproof ski. The artwork is w/o a doubt cutting edge.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Metal in a 186. I'm 215lbs, 6'. It's a very heavy ski that skis lighter than it feels. It's super stable in the chop and does well in just about every condition minus deep pow. In contrast for such a wide ski, it absolutely rips groomers. That was actually the biggest surprise for me. If I had to do it over again I'm 58 yo and I would have sized down one to make it even more playful for East Coast. For West I'd stay where I am. For deep snow there are better more specific tools out there.

Incredible manufacturing quality. These things feel SOLID. It's a bulletproof ski. The artwork is w/o a doubt cutting edge.
Thanks for that feedback YM....everyone raves about the build construction. Big question seems to be getting the sizing right and even the Blister guys spoke to that. I'm thinking about a Master Blaster in the 181...normally am on the longest length of a given ski but I do want the ski to be playful, so that's probably the right size.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Thanks for that feedback YM....everyone raves about the build construction. Big question seems to be getting the sizing right and even the Blister guys spoke to that. I'm thinking about a Master Blaster in the 181...normally am on the longest length of a given ski but I do want the ski to be playful, so that's probably the right size.

I can say that I don't recommend sizing up to the 187 for all around use. The 181 felt like more than enough ski for anything short of big line bombing.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can say that I don't recommend sizing up to the 187 for all around use. The 181 felt like more than enough ski for anything short of big line bombing.
Thanks...that makes sense and was definitely going to use this for all-mountain ripping to include trees and some soft bumps so the shorter length sounds correct.