• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It felt good to be back in the handles

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The day opened with sunshine and 1 degree temperature. No wind, so it was OK.

The snow guns were laying it down, and there were some pretty sweet turns when you hit the good stuff.

First run for me was a sled loaded to the gills with ropes that needed setting. Lots of ropes, Lots of Loooooong ropes.
Protecting guests from wandering "off piste" is priority one , (for some, but that means jerks like me get to do the leg work.)
Three hours straight tromping into the brush to secure the fixed end to a useful tree or such, stringing fog discs whipping rope ends.

There were a few fun runs too... The day was positively beautiful! Positively WINTER.

I'm BEAT! and smiling........It's good to be alive

stan51

Putting on skis
Skier
After watching the storms pass well to the south of us for the past two weeks, and with temps that were marginal for snowmaking most of that time, we finally got a good dump on Friday afternoon, and the mountain decided to do a partial opening on Sunday. Saturday I went up with the pro patrol to start setting up. We all got 'biled to the upper chair and by sheer luck of the draw, I wound up getting first chair of the season!!! Conditions up top were essentially backcountry-like, no grooming, three feet of mostly unconsolidated dry powder, great for skiing, but it made hauling tower pads interesting. At the bottom things were a lot thinner, though.
Sunday (yesterday) we had more volunteers join the pros to finish preparing for a noon opening. I finally got to ski with my ski poles this season on the second to last run of the day. Bundles of 'boo make a great lurk, though!

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
We got open on Sat , started out as an absolutely miserable day , wet, rainy, foggy but about 10:30 everything changed to snow, only about an inch accumulation over 10 hours but at least it wasn't raining anymore. Sunday was a bluebird day with nice softish snow.
Biggest plus....zero sled pulls and only one lightly tweaked ankle in the patrol room. we did have a cardiac event with an employee, turned out to be a hereditary thing that they were aware of. Called EMS and the employee waved them off and went home with their husband.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
First one is me sitting on top of the hill waiting for the call that never came, and second one is one of our patrollers in the aid room waiting for the patient who never showed.
20191215_135727.jpg
20191215_133507.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online