• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It ain't gonna drink itself!

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Henricks is good but I still like Bombay Sapphire. Never like Tanqueray. I recently tried a gin called The Botanist. It's made in Scotland on the island of Islay (pronounced Eye-lah). I really liked it, will probably buy it. Looks like BevMo has it. Cool looking bottle too.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Henricks is good but I still like Bombay Sapphire. Never like Tanqueray. I recently tried a gin called The Botanist. It's made in Scotland on the island of Islay (pronounced Eye-lah). I really liked it, will probably buy it. Looks like BevMo has it. Cool looking bottle too.

I will have to see if I can get my hands on that gin when we're in the highlands next week. Ahhh BevMo......... love that place....

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20180715_174814_HDR_resized.jpg

Something new just showed up at the liquor store. Never had it . Its freaking hot here today, so I'm going to enjoy some G&T's with friends this evening

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

What else do people like for gin? I have to buy some asap. I use it for Negronis, with tonic, and in Martinis, about evenly. I actually like Tanqueray okay, but not in love. Bombay seems too oily sometimes. The ones I really hate are the ones with a strong brown spice / cardamom element. (Great for sticky buns, not for gin, imo.) Also don't like it sweet; I want to control that with vermouth (in a Negroni) or whatever. I have not had either Hendricks or The Botanist. It's so easy to be seduced by packaging!

Edit: Recently went through a bottle of Heyman's Old Tom. Great flavor but too sweet.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What else do people like for gin? I have to buy some asap. I use it for Negronis, with tonic, and in Martinis, about evenly. I actually like Tanqueray okay, but not in love. Bombay seems too oily sometimes. The ones I really hate are the ones with a strong brown spice / cardamom element. (Great for sticky buns, not for gin, imo.) Also don't like it sweet; I want to control that with vermouth (in a Negroni) or whatever. I have not had either Hendricks or The Botanist. It's so easy to be seduced by packaging!

Edit: Recently went through a bottle of Heyman's Old Tom. Great flavor but too sweet.

I quite like Citadel. Has nice botanicals, good aroma. Excellent for the G&T. Georgian Bay Gin from Ontario is very nice. Lot of juniper. The Portobello Rd, (shown above ) was meh. It is a London gin, could be Beefeaters, not worth the premium. Botanist is nice , so is the Hendricks.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I quite like Citadel. Has nice botanicals, good aroma. Excellent for the G&T. Georgian Bay Gin from Ontario is very nice. Lot of juniper. The Portobello Rd, (shown above ) was meh. It is a London gin, could be Beefeaters, not worth the premium. Botanist is nice , so is the Hendricks.

Another life ago there was a French gin I really liked. I suspect it was this. Will (re-)try.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony Negroni II

Six parts vodka, two parts Campari, one part Dolin blanc vermouth, dash orange bitters. This is more delicate and less austere than Tony Negroni I. Note that Dolin blanc is their sweet white.

20180719_191717-01.jpeg 20180719_191928-01.jpeg

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
This is sexy. Drink with somebody you want to really like.

7E97B57C-05B0-4034-B041-EA6F6AB1C1AA.jpeg

Last edited:

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^I must have ended the thread. Still loving the Gem & Bolt. Mood.

This is going to end up in some ski flasks. I’m not that big on rum, but this is excellent - very smooth and the spicing is perfect.

8212E6DD-13DE-4488-8CB5-9D237AA50630.jpeg

Lake n Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
A0A9205E-90FA-4ED7-8EBA-933D8B0A20C9.jpeg

The best Hefeweizen (and possibly beer) in the world. All seasons. All occasions.

Cheers

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Religious aversion to anything "flavored."

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Religious aversion to anything "flavored."

Generally agree, but I’ll take little life hacks now and again.

ms. nay gets mad at me for drinking this because she buys it for Germany childhood nostalgia, but it’s pretty damn good.

So this one has extra protection. Of course, I can also drink it and put it back in its container and she won’t see it ogsmile

3E3C1DD2-76DC-43EA-A556-039447F34569.jpeg

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Still on the Negroni variations trail. Herself - to use the @cantunamunch term - has a thing about food additives. With that in mind I'm super happy to have been exposed to "Montanaro 6pm," a Campari-esque aperitif that is not artificially colored and that is excellent and less expensive than Campari. Not quite as bitter, with what I think is a more nuanced flavor profile, it's a great substitute as long as you are okay with what it is. The store where I found it had a blurb with the combination of ingredients you see below. I tried it and agree that it's superb. The dry vermouth compensates for the rounder and less bitter amaro, and the silver tequila just goes. Try it. ( @SBrown )

20181020_183157-01.jpeg

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was gifted some of this Breckenridge Bourbon which states it was made from "rocky mountain snow melt." I am highly allergic to Vail Resorts, is this bourbon safe for me to consume considering it could be made from Vail snow?

images.jpg

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was gifted some of this Breckenridge Bourbon which states it was made from "rocky mountain snow melt." I am highly allergic to Vail Resorts, is this bourbon safe for me to consume considering it could be made from Vail snow?

View attachment 56511

Yes. It will probably kill you!! Do not drink it under any circumstances. I , on the other hand, have NO allergies. You can send it all to me. I will see that it is properly disposed of. :D

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Probably a good thing I had to drive. Tasted this, this weekend. Could of had a lot of it. :)

aecask2018-copy.png

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I've decided I'm going to up my cocktail game, so I'm reading this thread. Any suggestions on where to start with learning a few basic classics? I particularly like whiskey, so have been trying to perfect my Manhattan recently. I used to have a more stocked bar but when we moved out to CO I almost solely drank beer, so am rebuilding a basic bar pretty much from scratch. Any tips on drinks I should start with learning to make, or how you prefer to make your Manhattan?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've decided I'm going to up my cocktail game, so I'm reading this thread. Any suggestions on where to start with learning a few basic classics? I particularly like whiskey, so have been trying to perfect my Manhattan recently. I used to have a more stocked bar but when we moved out to CO I almost solely drank beer, so am rebuilding a basic bar pretty much from scratch. Any tips on drinks I should start with learning to make, or how you prefer to make your Manhattan?

Can I volunteer to be a test subject?

Sponsor