• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Issues with Atomic Hawx Leaking

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
In doing some research I saw there were some issues with 2016-17 Hawx boots leaking. I am about to go to my local shop in search of new boots and besides the leaking issues they sound interesting. I have had boots with snow dam issues in the past and due to some recent circulation issues need to keep my feet dry. I want to be open to options but if there is a known problem I want to avoid it.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the 2015 Hawx 130 2.0 and can say that I have never had any leakage issues, even in the wet sloppy spring snow, skiing in the rain

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't know how relevant this is as mine a few years older, but I have 2013 Hawx 120's and they definitely leak a little. It's not terrible, even in spring conditions the liner doesn't get soaked and my feet don't feel like they get wet (except from sweat). But there's always water in between the liner and the shell so I always remove the liner after each day of skiing. It's not enough to stop me from buying another Hawx boot.

Ptrqc

Booting up
Skier
Hi,
Had a pair of Hawx Ultras and I moved on to another boot because they leaked like crazy.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I talked about the leaking issue and solution on some previous threads but here’s the short story. I had the original year Atomic Hawx Ultra 130 and found even on fitted boots buckled tightly, they leaked a bit. Not awful but they leaked.

Was a somewhat common issue so the next year they now have better weather stripping under the flap below the bottom 2 buckles.

Got Atomic/my dealer to sent the upgraded weather strip which I simply glued on top of the useless flat strip it had before. Haven’t tested yet but I’m sure it will fix it. My GF has Atomic Hawx Ultra 80 with the newer weather strip and it doesn’t leak.

So even if you bought last year’s or this year’s boots you’d be fine as it has the strips already installed and if you have the original, get your dealer to get you the new weather strips.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
More recent ones leak less. My 16/17 leaks something horrible. However, it was stretched a metric crap ton with the memory fit process. I believe this had more to do with the leaking issue than the design of the boot.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
More recent ones leak less. My 16/17 leaks something horrible. However, it was stretched a metric crap ton with the memory fit process. I believe this had more to do with the leaking issue than the design of the boot.

Here's the difference of seals in 2018 Hawx Ultra 80W boots and then my 2016/17 boots with original seal vs new seal attached.
8YXDcj5eTryQ1L4NmIOLUw.jpg
g7vF6BFRRCSJYjt3dP+TGw.jpg
d55v71H0T8+DXyAFkRn4Mw.jpg

Bet your seal is even worse if you had lots of stretching so the new seal would make an even bigger difference with yours. My bottom 2 buckle flap now is sealed tight WAY better with the new seal and I had very little molding needed.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January